PDA

View Full Version : So, this is apparently is, Safin's last year is upon us.

Kobble
01-21-2009, 12:01 AM
I feel pretty sad if he is really serious. If he is, the least he could do is thump Federer for the last time. However, I can't say I blame Safin. Results aside, the world seems to suck right now (economically, ecologically, and even the general attitude). I was at Miami the last two years and it felt like ****. Very little heart, soul and class left to enjoy, so it seems. I don't think I would want to be out playing in an environment like that; that isn't what kids dream of. Marat seems to feel he needs a change. The change is probably necessary due to the unsatisfactory feeling you get from participating in many traditional activities anymore. Top it off with how fast you are forgotten despite achievements of a lifetime (Sampras), and it can take the wind you. I wish Safin the best, no matter what. I only have two signatures of tennis players, and Safin is one, Kuerten is the other. I believe he is a genuine person, a supreme talent, and will be a legend people talk about for many more years.

tennis_hand
01-21-2009, 12:44 AM
when Fed meets Safin, we will find how large the gap is between them.

Safin is no longer the Safin who won the AO.

Aldi Patron
01-21-2009, 12:48 AM
when Fed meets Safin, we will find how large the gap is between them.

Safin is no longer the Safin who won the AO.

Yes, but was the Safin who won the AO the Safin who won the USO? Wrap your head around that.

Seany
01-21-2009, 04:50 AM
Like him or not, tennis will never be the same without him.

luckyboy1300
01-21-2009, 05:03 AM
Yes, but was the Safin who won the AO the Safin who won the USO? Wrap your head around that.

the safin who won the ao is a lot better than the safin who won the uso.

thalivest
01-21-2009, 06:11 AM

Safin's in and out prime as a tennis player was 2000-2005. So yes I would say pretty much. The two best matches he ever played in his career by far were the 2000 U.S Open final and 2005 Australian Open semis. There isnt a world of difference between a players best match ever or their second best match ever, and if you are insistent there is it is basically the same as admiting the former was a total fluke for there to be that big a gap to your 2nd best match ever.

Puma
01-21-2009, 06:19 AM
It will be a sad day when he is gone. He is one of my most favorite players to watch. You never know what he is going to do. Supreme talent, big hitter, the whole thing. One day he looks like a tennis god the next he hits it sideways. Fun to watch..... He is no robot like many others out there.

Gugafan
01-21-2009, 07:14 AM
He has not officially announced any retirment plans. It's credible that he has managed to get his ranking back inside the top 30. Things looked bleak when he was out of the top 100 due to the knee injury.

Safin is still one of the few effortless ball strikers in the game. He has done well compared to the generation of players during his era (Haas, Moya, Ferrero and Hewitt), who are all struggling currently.

shintan17
01-21-2009, 07:28 AM
I hope he stays for another 5 years. I will miss him if he really decides to retire after this year.

GS
01-21-2009, 07:41 AM
With his head on straight, yes, he's an amazing ball striker. If he retires, I'll miss his great racquet demolitions---2 smacks to the ground and it's gone. Just hope he's got a good money manager for his future, unlike other athletes who have gone broke later on.

GameSampras
01-21-2009, 07:53 AM
Good... Im glad..

Im sick of a seeing a player with all the talent in the world gone to waste, playing tennis on my tv screen. Makes me wish a young hungry up and comer had that talent

Teamtomo
01-21-2009, 07:56 AM
Tennis will miss Safin.

veroniquem
01-21-2009, 08:11 AM
It's a shame he didn't commit more to his sport, he could have had a much better career. He seems to lack ambition. When Fowler asked him yesterday if he thought he could beat Federer, he replied "it's impossible!", not a very confident approach to his game if you ask me...

GameSampras
01-21-2009, 08:15 AM
It's a shame he didn't commit more to his sport, he could have had a much better career. He seems to lack ambition. When Fowler asked him yesterday if he thought he could beat Federer, he replied "it's impossible!", not a very confident approach to his game if you ask me...

Then why play Safin.. Just forfeit. Who wants to see u go out there and watch u half *** it. And its impossible? What happened at this very tournament 5 years ago..

Safin has serious mental issues. I would prefer an alternate play Federer. Not that idiot

veroniquem
01-21-2009, 08:19 AM
Then why play Safin.. Just forfeit. Who wants to see u go out there and watch u half *** it. And its impossible? What happened at this very tournament 5 years ago..

Safin has serious mental issues. I would prefer an alternate play Federer. Not that idiot
Safin just looked like he didn't believe in it and he couldn't care less anyway. That's depressing, why even show up with such a defeatist mentality? You can only hope he's bluffing but I have my doubts about that...

Aldi Patron
01-21-2009, 08:21 AM
Safin's in and out prime as a tennis player was 2000-2005. So yes I would say pretty much. The two best matches he ever played in his career by far were the 2000 U.S Open final and 2005 Australian Open semis. There isnt a world of difference between a players best match ever or their second best match ever, and if you are insistent there is it is basically the same as admiting the former was a total fluke for there to be that big a gap to your 2nd best match ever.

The only thing I meant by my reply was that Safin is so wildly incosistent (or consistent at being inconsistent) that other than 2000, he never really had a prime, and so it's pointless to say he's no longer the Safin who won the AO.

It'd be a tough stretch to call the 2000s US Open win a fluke because of his results that year.

rommil
01-21-2009, 08:23 AM

The same idiot that disemboweled Sampras in front of the New York crowd? Safin is Safin. He will talk like that and play the way he does. He might look like a tortured soul on court but I feel like after all is said and done, he gets to walk away saying he did it his way. Tennis and life.

oranges
01-21-2009, 08:27 AM
One of the guys I'll miss the most.

For those eager to bash the guy that gave all of us, not just his fans, some of the best tennis moments ever, here's what he had to say on the coming match: http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2009-01-21/200901211232511761484.html
Q. You're likely to have a match against Roger Federer if results go as expected. Fond memories of playing him obviously here.

MARAT SAFIN: I'm looking forward. I have nothing to worry about. I'm going to play my match. We know each other pretty well. He knows how to play against me; I know how to play against him.

Unfortunately I didn't win a lot of matches against him, but I'm looking forward. It's another chance. I have nothing to lose. I'm going to go for it. Whatever comes, comes.

You expected more from him, failed to live to your expectations, beat some guys when you didn't want him after that, what impudence, let's burn him at a stake for all of it and pretend the tour would have been better without him :roll:

GameSampras
01-21-2009, 08:29 AM
The same idiot that disemboweled Sampras in front of the New York crowd? Safin is Safin. He will talk like that and play the way he does. He might look like a tortured soul on court but I feel like after all is said and done, he gets to walk away saying he did it his way. Tennis and life.

And we saw how Safin defended his USO championship in 2001 didnt we? Oops thats right Sampras destroyed him in straight sets. No one seems to remember that nor want to admit it. They only bring up the 00 match. How about Safin defending his titles at the USO and AO?

What is the point of even watching a Safin-Fed match where Safin is virtually saying its impossible? Since its NOT considering Fed has been beaten by a quite a few players this past year has lost some slams and ONCE by Safin. Fed isnt as dominant as he was in 05. He doesnt have the mental edge over player now than he did when Safin beat him, yet the guy still says its IMPOSSIBLE. Way to put fans interest in the match Safin. Good job.

What is this guy even playing pro tennis for if he isnt even focused on winning? He should be ashamed the way he has conducted himself over the years. What a sorry excuse of a "champion" he is

oranges
01-21-2009, 08:31 AM
You're taking that 00 beating way to much to your heart

rommil
01-21-2009, 08:44 AM
And we saw how Safin defended his USO championship in 2001 didnt we? Oops thats right Sampras destroyed him in straight sets. No one seems to remember that nor want to admit it. They only bring up the 00 match. How about Safin defending his titles at the USO and AO?

What is the point of even watching a Safin-Fed match where Safin is virtually saying its impossible? Since its NOT considering Fed has been beaten by a quite a few players this past year has lost some slams and ONCE by Safin. Fed isnt as dominant as he was in 05. He doesnt have the mental edge over player now than he did when Safin beat him, yet the guy still says its IMPOSSIBLE. Way to put fans interest in the match Safin. Good job.

What is this guy even playing pro tennis for if he isnt even focused on winning? He should be ashamed the way he has conducted himself over the years. What a sorry excuse of a "champion" he is
Nobody ever said that he is consistent. With in fact he is unpredictable. Some people will call him not ambitious. Fair enough. What's the point of watching Safin? Because he is entertaining and you will never know how he plays. He has shown that he can impose his game to the top players. I don't think anybody expected him to beat Djokovic at Wimbledon last year for example. True, it can get frustrating for Safin fans to follow him but I have learned to accept his results, win or lose. Safin's humor tends to learn towards self deprecation. But go ahead, take it to heart.

crazylevity
01-21-2009, 08:52 AM
I think Safin was, RE Federer, just being realistic with his chances. I've always felt that the best Safin was one who didn't have expectations or burdens, one who didn't have obligations, one who simply played for the joy of playing tennis, of trying to produce your best tennis, against the best in the world, for the crowds. It's not about money, it's not about trophies, it's not about ranking points. That's how Safin views tennis.

LuckyR
01-21-2009, 09:00 AM
Safin's retirement date will depend a lot more on the stock market than anything tennis related.

NamRanger
01-21-2009, 09:34 AM

Safin is a far better "champion" than some players. Although he never fully dedicated himself to the game, he produced some great matches that were instant classics. Also, he was well liked among the players and fans, and was known to be very social and a fun guy. There is more to being a champion than winning. Safin is a champion among fans. That's better than we can say for guys like Hewitt, who was hated among fans for most of his career.

Safin has made it this far because he didn't expend about 10 years of his life to become the GOAT in tennis, something Sampras did. Unlike Sampras, Safin actually knows how to have fun. Although tennis may be a big deal to you, I think Safin has the right idea. What's the point in becoming an amazing player? Sure, it's nice to become one. But what are you sacrificing? Opportunities in life you will never have back. I'm sure Safin is more than content with his career.

Also, your lack of intelligence and educate is really starting to get on my nerves. You are insulting a Grand Slam champion, one of the better players in the modern era of tennis. Yes he could have done better, but he has to answer to no one but himself. Stop throwing around your pitiful insults because your poor Sampras is retired.

GameSampras
01-21-2009, 09:46 AM
Safin is a far better "champion" than some players. Although he never fully dedicated himself to the game, he produced some great matches that were instant classics. Also, he was well liked among the players and fans, and was known to be very social and a fun guy. There is more to being a champion than winning. Safin is a champion among fans. That's better than we can say for guys like Hewitt, who was hated among fans for most of his career.

Safin has made it this far because he didn't expend about 10 years of his life to become the GOAT in tennis, something Sampras did. Unlike Sampras, Safin actually knows how to have fun. Although tennis may be a big deal to you, I think Safin has the right idea. What's the point in becoming an amazing player? Sure, it's nice to become one. But what are you sacrificing? Opportunities in life you will never have back. I'm sure Safin is more than content with his career.

Also, your lack of intelligence and educate is really starting to get on my nerves. You are insulting a Grand Slam champion, one of the better players in the modern era of tennis. Yes he could have done better, but he has to answer to no one but himself. Stop throwing around your pitiful insults because your poor Sampras is retired.

Youre right... Whats the point of playing pro tennis and being the best player you could possibly be and trying to become one of the greatest to ever play the game and have your name etched in stone with some of the all time greats like Borg, Laver, Rosewall, Sampras, Fed etc. Lets just play BELOW OUR POTENTIAL, be extremely inconsistent, let your nightlife carry over into your day time life, chase women, put focus on things other than your profession. What could I be thinking..

All things considered, that why Safin is considered one of the biggest underachievers in history, and for all that talent, it could have been given to someone with heart, determination, focus, and GIVING A DAMN, and they could have been among the greatest but just lacked that talent. Thats why Safin is Safin and the greats are the greats whos names with stand the test of time while Safin's name falls into obscurity unless its mentioning some of the biggest underachievers to ever play the game. Watching Safin play tennis over the years is like getting your teeth pulled because u knew what he was capable of if he gave a damn

Lack of intelligence huh?? How about calling a spade a spade

oranges
01-21-2009, 09:49 AM
^^ That's also why guys like Safin are far less likely to attract f*ckwits for fans, not that it's any of Pete's fault

Jonny S&V
01-21-2009, 09:50 AM
He has not officially announced any retirment plans. It's credible that he has managed to get his ranking back inside the top 30. Things looked bleak when he was out of the top 100 due to the knee injury.

Safin is still one of the few effortless ball strikers in the game. He has done well compared to the generation of players during his era (Haas, Moya, Ferrero and Hewitt), who are all struggling currently.

Effortless to him maybe, lol, but for us "normal" players, it takes a quite a bit of effort (especially the core area)...

I really hope he doesn't retire, if I had seen him when he was in his "prime," I woulda had a two-handed backhand, but instead I saw Dent and Henman. :-?

NamRanger
01-21-2009, 10:07 AM
Youre right... Whats the point of playing pro tennis and being the best player you could possibly be and trying to become one of the greatest to ever play the game and have your name etched in stone with some of the all time greats like Borg, Laver, Rosewall, Sampras, Fed etc. Lets just play BELOW OUR POTENTIAL, be extremely inconsistent, let your nightlife carry over into your day time life, chase women, put focus on things other than your profession. What could I be thinking..

All things considered, that why Safin is considered one of the biggest underachievers in history, and for all that talent, it could have been given to someone with heart, determination, focus, and GIVING A DAMN, and they could have been among the greatest but just lacked that talent. Thats why Safin is Safin and the greats are the greats whos names with stand the test of time while Safin's name falls into obscurity unless its mentioning some of the biggest underachievers to ever play the game. Watching Safin play tennis over the years is like getting your teeth pulled because u knew what he was capable of if he gave a damn

Lack of intelligence huh?? How about calling a spade a spade

There's more to life than tennis, and obviously Safin believes there are things in life that are far more important than tennis. Something you can't seem to get through that thick skull of yours. Yes, it would be awesome if Safin was hardworking. He probably would have won at the very minimum 5-6 slams if not more.

But to say that he is an idiot for not trying, when he chose to take another path in life is utterly ridiculous. Yes, being a great player is awesome. But how much of your life do you lose to become one? Do you think Sampras sometimes regrets giving up all those years of his life? The amount of energy he put out was PHENOMENAL. Some people believe it's not worth it, as when it comes down to it..........

TENNIS IS A GAME

That is something Marat Safin realized probably early on in his career. That is something YOU don't seem to realize.

fps
01-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Safin's charisma, ability, unpredictability and colourful lifestyle will be sorely missed on the tour, given the on-marching generation of exceptionally well-drilled tennis robots who are going to take his place.

GameSampras
01-21-2009, 10:13 AM
There's more to life than tennis, and obviously Safin believes there are things in life that are far more important than tennis. Something you can't seem to get through that thick skull of yours. Yes, it would be awesome if Safin was hardworking. He probably would have won at the very minimum 5-6 slams if not more.

But to say that he is an idiot for not trying, when he chose to take another path in life is utterly ridiculous. Yes, being a great player is awesome. But how much of your life do you lose to become one? Do you think Sampras sometimes regrets giving up all those years of his life? The amount of energy he put out was PHENOMENAL. Some people believe it's not worth it, as when it comes down to it..........

TENNIS IS A GAME

That is something Marat Safin realized probably early on in his career. That is something YOU don't seem to realize.

Alright tennis is just a game.. Wish I could make that type of money playing Board games and make that my profession.. Anyways......

Its a PROFESSION as well as a BUSINESS.

As for Sampras... No he doesnt regret anything when it comes to his success as mentioned in his interview prior to the 08 USO with charlie rose. He said if he did put focus on other things (such as Safin) he would have never been mentioned among the GOAT so it was worth the sacrifice.

I just DESPISE players not to playing to their potential regardless of any sport especially someone with a talent of a Nalbandian or Safin. Thats unfair to the hardworking, young kid giving it all he has that maybe lacks that talent. Its a slap in the face to your profession and your fans IMO. If youre going to be a professional player of any sport, be the best you can be and play to your maximum potential and carry yourself with a degree of respectibiliy. If not GET OFF MY TV!!

veroniquem
01-21-2009, 10:15 AM

TENNIS IS A GAME

Tennis is a game for you and me but for the guys on tour, it's a profession, a career. That's how they make their living.

oranges
01-21-2009, 10:19 AM
Tennis is a game for you and me but for the guys on tour, it's a profession, a career. That's how they make their living.

And they need to devote their entire lives to it because of it and live up to the expectations of some armchair critic not to be pooped on, give me a break. Funnily enough, people who are not his fans are obviously taking it more to heart than those who've been supporting him throughout the years. Go figure.

veroniquem
01-21-2009, 10:25 AM
And they need to devote their entire lives to it because of it and live up to the expectations of some armchair critic not to be pooped on, give me a break. Funnily enough, people who are not his fans are obviously taking it more to heart than those who've been supporting him throughout the years. Go figure.
They need to be professional (I guess that's fair to say?), if they don't, then both the public and the player himself lose from it. Safin is a very charismatic player, what he did was excellent, it just would have been even better if he could have done it more consistently.

NamRanger
01-21-2009, 10:28 AM

Yes, it's a profession and a career. Safin made plenty of money doing it. He beat some of the best players in the history of our sport, won 2 slams, and still had fun while doing it. I don't think he could have asked for a better career.

Mansewerz
01-21-2009, 10:30 AM
I'm gonna miss Safin. He's one of my favorite players. Right up there with Federer. I always had someone to root for that no one would expect to win.

veroniquem
01-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Yes, it's a profession and a career. Safin made plenty of money doing it. He beat some of the best players in the history of our sport, won 2 slams, and still had fun while doing it. I don't think he could have asked for a better career.
You don't think he could have won a couple more slams?

GameSampras
01-21-2009, 10:31 AM
I have no problem with a player giving it all he has and just not being able to maintain that consistency throughout his year. I have no problem with someone like Roddick having only one slam to his name really. At least he gives it his all every time he goes on the court regardless of the lack of all around talent he has compared to others.

My problem is the NOT CARING. Thats the biggest problem I have with Safin.. Not caring

NamRanger
01-21-2009, 10:32 AM
Alright tennis is just a game.. Wish I could make that type of money playing Board games and make that my profession.. Anyways......

Its a PROFESSION as well as a BUSINESS.

As for Sampras... No he doesnt regret anything when it comes to his success as mentioned in his interview prior to the 08 USO with charlie rose. He said if he did put focus on other things (such as Safin) he would have never been mentioned among the GOAT so it was worth the sacrifice.

I just DESPISE players not to playing to their potential regardless of any sport especially someone with a talent of a Nalbandian or Safin. Thats unfair to the hardworking, young kid giving it all he has that maybe lacks that talent. Its a slap in the face to your profession and your fans IMO. If youre going to be a professional player of any sport, be the best you can be and play to your maximum potential and carry yourself with a degree of respectibiliy. If not GET OFF MY TV!!

Again, no one has to live up to your expectations, only to their own. Safin did what he has done, and obviously he's very content with it, as many of his true fans are.

Yes, tennis is a profession. Then why treat it so seriously? Safin does it to make money, not so that he can become a legend. There are things in life that Safin has deemed more important than tennis. I believe there are plenty of things more important than tennis actually. Living a good life is one of them.

How do you know Safin was not forced into tennis at an early age? He shows all classic signs of someone who was forced into playing tennis, rather than choosing to become a tennis professional. Maybe he didn't want to do it, but he felt the pressure from his parents and other outside factors.

Anyways, point being, Safin has had a far better career than the majority of professional players. He has enjoyed it, as have his fans. To say that he insulted anyone is absolutely ridiculous, especially coming from someone like you.

NamRanger
01-21-2009, 10:33 AM
You don't think he could have won a couple more slams?

He himself probably would have liked to won more slams, but I don't think he's going to ask for anymore. Obviously he's content with his career, otherwise he wouldn't be retiring.

NamRanger
01-21-2009, 10:34 AM
I have no problem with a player giving it all he has and just not being able to maintain that consistency throughout his year. I have no problem with someone like Roddick having only one slam to his name really. At least he gives it his all every time he goes on the court regardless of the lack of all around talent he has compared to others.

My problem is the NOT CARING. Thats the biggest problem I have with Safin.. Not caring

Again, he doesn't have to live up to your expectations, only his own. He's met his expectations, and probably exceeded them. No one gives a damn about what you think, especially not Safin.

Mansewerz
01-21-2009, 10:34 AM
You have to remember with Safin's retirement, you lose one of the coolest guys that ever played tennis. How many other players do you see that are built like a tank, are hilarious, and have a full flock of women chasing him every tournament?

veroniquem
01-21-2009, 10:36 AM
He himself probably would have liked to won more slams, but I don't think he's going to ask for anymore. Obviously he's content with his career, otherwise he wouldn't be retiring.
So I was right before. It's a lack of ambition. With more ambition, he could (probably) have won more.

Aldi Patron
01-21-2009, 10:37 AM

If he didn't care, why does he break so many racquets?

veroniquem
01-21-2009, 10:38 AM
If he didn't care, why does he break so many racquets?
and chairs! Ha ha that's true, I guess the not caring part is a pose then.

NamRanger
01-21-2009, 10:39 AM
So I was right before. It's a lack of ambition. With more ambition, he could (probably) have won more.

People play pro tennis for different reasons. Some want to become legends. Some want to make money. Some (a very few, but still exist) play to have fun. Everyone has a different reason for playing professional tennis. Safin's goal was obviously not to become a legend (even though he sorta did). He wanted to have fun, while making a good amount of money. He has enough to retire for the rest of his life.

I don't think anyone out there can say what Safin did is wrong. He did something fun and made plenty of money out of it. He lived a fun life style. Could he have done more? Possibly. Could Safin have asked for more? No.

GameSampras
01-21-2009, 10:41 AM
Again, no one has to live up to your expectations, only to their own. Safin did what he has done, and obviously he's very content with it, as many of his true fans are.

Yes, tennis is a profession. Then why treat it so seriously? Safin does it to make money, not so that he can become a legend. There are things in life that Safin has deemed more important than tennis. I believe there are plenty of things more important than tennis actually. Living a good life is one of them.

How do you know Safin was not forced into tennis at an early age? He shows all classic signs of someone who was forced into playing tennis, rather than choosing to become a tennis professional. Maybe he didn't want to do it, but he felt the pressure from his parents and other outside factors.

Anyways, point being, Safin has had a far better career than the majority of professional players. He has enjoyed it, as have his fans. To say that he insulted anyone is absolutely ridiculous, especially coming from someone like you.

Then quit and go do something that makes you happy and that you love and enjoy doing?? Whats wrong with that? Hes a grown man, he can go to do something enjoys and make money while hes at it. Why do u have to live up to someone else's expectation set forth by a family member, guardian etc especially when you are an adult. If youre just doing it for the money, chances are u will not put the necessary effort into acceling at something being the best u can be. If the only reason you are doing something is for money, thats not always the best route and not the one where u will find the most happiness either. If he wants to play tennis for fun.. FINE.. Go do it at the local country club in Moscow

NamRanger
01-21-2009, 10:44 AM
Then quit and go do something that makes you happy and that you love and enjoy doing?? Whats wrong with that? Hes a grown man, he can go to do something enjoys and make money while hes at it. Why do u have to live up to someone else's expectation set forth by a family member, guardian etc especially when you are an adult. If youre just doing it for the money, chances are u will not put the necessary effort into acceling at something being the best u can be.

Man you're stupid. Realistically, if Safin was forced into tennis at an early age, that means he had no real solid education. The only thing Safin knows how to do extremely well is tennis. That's the only thing he can make money in. He never attended a real high school let alone a university.

He has made enough money to do what he wants to do in life. He's obviously happy with his career. You obviously aren't happy with your life, since you have to live through the achievements of another person in order to obtain your happiness.

GameSampras
01-21-2009, 10:45 AM
Man you're stupid. Realistically, if Safin was forced into tennis at an early age, that means he had no real solid education. The only thing Safin knows how to do extremely well is tennis. That's the only thing he can make money in. He never attended a real high school let alone a university.

He has made enough money to do what he wants to do in life. He's obviously happy with his career. You obviously aren't happy with your life, since you have to live through the achievements of another person in order to obtain your happiness.

No.. He knows how to party really hard and chasing women very well not playing winning tennis extremely well

GameSampras
01-21-2009, 10:48 AM
Btw... You are reported for a "personal attack" against another poster pal

fps
01-21-2009, 10:50 AM
Then quit and go do something that makes you happy and that you love and enjoy doing?? Whats wrong with that? Hes a grown man, he can go to do something enjoys and make money while hes at it. Why do u have to live up to someone else's expectation set forth by a family member, guardian etc especially when you are an adult. If youre just doing it for the money, chances are u will not put the necessary effort into acceling at something being the best u can be. If the only reason you are doing something is for money, thats not always the best route and not the one where u will find the most happiness either. If he wants to play tennis for fun.. FINE.. Go do it at the local country club in Moscow

he is quitting to go do something that makes him happy. he's not even 29 yet. a lot of people haven't found what they want to do in life until around that age. difference is he's got millions in the bank to go with it.

NamRanger
01-21-2009, 11:06 AM
Btw... You are reported for a "personal attack" against another poster pal

Truth hurts. Sorry.

veroniquem
01-21-2009, 11:12 AM
Couldn't we compromise here and say: he had a job he liked, fame and money, (that's the positives) but on the other hand he didn't live up to his potential or pushed his limits (the way Agassi did for instance).

oranges
01-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Couldn't we compromise here and say: he had a job he liked, fame and money, (that's the positives) but on the other hand he didn't live up to his potential or pushed his limits (the way Agassi did for instance).

Only if you include he played some of the most memorable matches and has blessed the tour with great personality and charisma. It's guys like that that prevent the Federers and Samprases from having a higher GS count, if that's not too much to ask to be admitted.

veroniquem
01-21-2009, 11:18 AM
Only if you include he played some of the most memorable matches and has blessed the tour with great personality and charisma. It's guys like that that prevent the Federers and Samprases from having a higher GS count, if that's not too much to ask to be admitted.
Absolutely, no doubt about that.

zacinnc78
01-21-2009, 12:03 PM
show the man some respect geez....hes lived a better life than anybody in here even tho hes not a GOAT contender so what

MarrratSafin
01-21-2009, 01:09 PM

Awesome, so well said.

marc45
01-21-2009, 01:20 PM
It's a shame he didn't commit more to his sport, he could have had a much better career. He seems to lack ambition. When Fowler asked him yesterday if he thought he could beat Federer, he replied "it's impossible!", not a very confident approach to his game if you ask me... not a big fowler fan, but have to hand it to him after safin sad-sacked his chances against federer, fowler asked him "are you going to show up for the match?"....safin said" oh' sure i'll be there"...great interview, both guys oviously feel comfortable with each other...safin's sister is much more business-like when they interviewed her....btw, let's hope on the way to the court for his match against federer that safin doesn't run into some "pretty sights" if you know what i mean...better have security with him

zagor
01-21-2009, 01:30 PM
I'll be sorry if he retires(say what you will about Safin but he made his mark on tennis,both with his charisma and memorable matches against the very best)but I'll still wait until the end of the year.It's Safin we're talking about here,I wouldn't be that surprised if he changed his mind at the end of 2009 and decided to give it a go one more year,atleast I hope that will happen.

RCizzle65
01-21-2009, 02:00 PM
From what I remember, Safin DID want to play football, but his parents made him play tennis. Also, some people are just taking this too personal, hating talent wasters because they don't care for the sport? Does it matter what they do with their time? Get off the TV? It's not like he tanks matches left and right and is wasting your time, jeez.....

fps
01-21-2009, 02:13 PM
From what I remember, Safin DID want to play football, but his parents made him play tennis. Also, some people are just taking this too personal, hating talent wasters because they don't care for the sport? Does it matter what they do with their time? Get off the TV? It's not like he tanks matches left and right and is wasting your time, jeez.....

where do you think he would have played? I think he'd have ended up as a big difficult dirty centre back. or a big difficult dirty centre forward. either way i can't see him as a flair player!

GameSampras
01-21-2009, 02:19 PM
where do you think he would have played? I think he'd have ended up as a big difficult dirty centre back. or a big difficult dirty centre forward. either way i can't see him as a flair player!

At the concession stands picking up the chicks

Kobble
01-21-2009, 02:27 PM
I don't like a waste of talent as much as anybody, but it's hard to stay focused and on top. Your twenties seem to fly by, I know. Most of these pros are in their twenties. There is a lot of pressure to enjoy life while you're young, not just working for a place in the record books, only to find out almost nobody cares in the end anyways. I don't think Safin's work ethic did him in as much as injuries. Injuries are the limiting factor. You could be willing, but not able.

luckyboy1300
01-21-2009, 02:28 PM

Safin just looked like he didn't believe in it and he couldn't care less anyway. That's depressing, why even show up with such a defeatist mentality? You can only hope he's bluffing but I have my doubts about that...

safin has already booked for a flight home scheduled the day after his match against djoker at wimbledon 2nd round last year. yet he won. what i'm implying is that don't trust the man's word. though i really want federer to win their match i want safin to play really well too.

NamRanger
01-21-2009, 03:02 PM
Also Safin was referring to Federer on grass, saying that only Nadal can beat him there. I just watched that interview again. It had nothing to do with Safin believing he has no chance of beating Federer.

Please, no more twisting of facts trolls.

Seany
01-21-2009, 06:04 PM
You Safin hating trolls are just ridiculous.

Especially you Gamesampras, grow up. HE beat your beloved Sampras in the US Open final, and you're bitter about it, simple as that.

Safin has won 2 grand slams, how many people in the open Era have done that? ....Jeez what a bunch of idiots. You don't just walk in and win a slam, it's hard work you know, and add to this the fact that a large chunk of his career was:

A) Ruined by injury (post 05)
B) Crossed paths with the career of Federer (post 03), who was taking up all the slams.

He should have beaten Johansson in the AO in 02, I'll admit that, but that's it.

He was 2 good performances away from winning Wimbledon 2008, I bet that would have made you all shut up. I really hopes he beats Fed now, so I can rub it in your faces that he's still got more talent than most of the top 10....talking of the top 10, he may well end the year in the top 10 the way he is moving up the rankings, again, what an achievement that would be after all the injuries.

The guy has served the game well, and his charisma and charm have filled a vital role on the tour.

Show some respect...

OJ ROD
01-22-2009, 09:35 AM
You know people can say what they want about him. But Safin, for all his quirks and personal and professional inconsistencies, is a better person than most. He's always honest, he isn't afraid to be who he is, and yeah he goes off sometimes but never on other people, always on himself(in the public eye at least.). He's never quick to glorify himself and he takes all opinions without hiding, partly because he is his own harshest critic, I think(which could be why he's so unmotivated. He sets the bar so high for himself that he never reaches it and after so many failed attempts and working so hard you lose heart because it seems pointless to pour your heart out into something you will never achieve. I just don't think he has been able to come to terms with that.)

And one of the most important things is that, apart from manners pertaining to his potential or himself, his very realistic and gives props to where props are due. And not in the superficial way that other players do it, when he says it you can see the authentic candor in his demeanor. Like when he speaks about Federer or Nadal, and even his own sister. I remember he said in a press conference that one day people are gonna start to refer to him as 'Dinara Safina's older brother'. He's outright saying, 'you know what, my sister is going to achieve more than me, and she deserves it'. For someone to admit that a sibling who has lived in their shadow, a younger sibling, of the opposite sex(and let's not pretend like it not an issue, everybody know that it is, let's be real) is going to be better than them, especially in such a competitive enviroment, is truly honorable. It takes courage.

What I'm saying is that he gets critized for not fulfilling his talent, although most are only taking physical ability into account which is a very incomplete standard, but when I see this guy I praise him because through all the chaotic storm that this guy goes through in his mind everytime he steps foot on a court, he never forgets his place as person, and that is really all you can ask of a person. Anything else is for them to deal with and decide on in their own life.

When I see him...well,...I see a decent guy, and in someways, a great role model.

NamRanger
01-22-2009, 09:40 AM
You know people can say what they want about him. But Safin, for all his quirks and personal and professional inconsistencies, is a better person than most. He's always honest, he isn't afraid to be who he is, and yeah he goes off sometimes but never on other people, always on himself(in the public eye at least.). He's never quick to glorify himself and he takes all opinions without hiding, partly because he is his own harshest critic, I think(which could be why he's so unmotivated. He sets the bar so high for himself that he never reaches it and after so many failed attempts and working so hard you lose heart because it seems pointless to pour your heart out into something you will never achieve. I just don't think he has been able to come to terms with that.)

And one of the most important things is that, apart from manners pertaining to his potential or himself, his very realistic and gives props to where props are due. And not in the superficial way that other players do it, when he says it you can see the authentic candor in his demeanor. Like when he speaks about Federer or Nadal, and even his own sister. I remember he said in a press conference that one day people are gonna start to refer to him as 'Dinara Safina's older brother'. He's outright saying, 'you know what, my sister is going to achieve more than me, and she deserves it'. For someone to admit that a sibling who has lived in their shadow, a younger sibling, of the opposite sex(and let's not pretend like it not an issue, everybody know that it is, let's be real) is going to be better than them, especially in such a competitive enviroment, is truly honorable. It takes courage.

What I'm saying is that he gets critized for not fulfilling his talent, although most are only taking physical ability into account which is a very incomplete standard, but when I see this guy I praise him because through all the chaotic storm that this guy goes through in his mind everytime he steps foot on a court, he never forgets his place as person, and that is really all you can ask of a person. Anything else is for them to deal with and decide on in their own life.

When I see him...well,...I see a decent guy, and in someways, a great role model.

Excellent post. I don't think I've ever seen so much Safin hate, ever. Sure, some may not like his inconsistencies, but as a person, Safin is far better than most.

rommil
01-22-2009, 09:46 AM
Excellent post. I don't think I've ever seen so much Safin hate, ever. Sure, some may not like his inconsistencies, but as a person, Safin is far better than most.

.....and wayyyyyy cooler than anybody on the tour.

NamRanger
01-22-2009, 09:50 AM

Of course, how else does he pick up all those ladies?

JoshDragon
01-22-2009, 09:55 AM

Except for Nadal, Federer, Monfils, Simon, and probably some others.

rommil
01-22-2009, 09:57 AM

NO. Including those......

mimi77
01-22-2009, 10:29 AM
. If you have to play Safin on clay, is it for you worse than to play him on cement? Because he said he would rather play you on clay?

ROGER FEDERER: I would like to play him on clay also, but I prefer that (smiling). I beat him on clay, two occasions.

Q. Hamburg and Rome?

ROGER FEDERER: And Copa Davis, so three, thank you (smiling). I don't think he remembers. Remember him, okay (smiling).

Q.Gasquet was saying you're one of his idols and it will be hard to concentrate. Do you remember a similar situation when you were maybe around his age and were going to play one of your idols?

ROGER FEDERER: I remember a couple years ago he said Safin was his idol so (laughing)...

Q. Not anymore.

ROGER FEDERER: Not anymore, I guess, yeah (smiling). He played him here first round or second round, didn't he, after he beat Squillari. That was the last time I was here. I remember him saying that, too. I don't know what to answer on this one. He'll concentrate well enough, I'm sure about that.

Federer is sour person that's way all this young people liked Marat growing up .He was idol to Gasquet,Djokovic,Berdich ,Simon,Murray,Tsonga because the human factor that Federer is lacking.He always humilietes young players that's way they all like more Safin,maybe they appriciate more Federer but they like Safin more.The quotes are from Monte Carlo Masters 2005,first shows how ****ed he was when he lost to Safin Australian Open,and second show how jealous he was that Safin is someone's idol and not him

TheMusicLover
01-22-2009, 10:33 AM
Federer is sour person that's way all this young people liked Marat growing up .He was idol to Gasquet,Djokovic,Berdich ,Simon,Murray,Tsonga because the human factor that Federer is lacking.He always humilietes young players that's way they all like more Safin,maybe they appriciate more Federer but they like Safin more.The quotes are from Monte Carlo Masters 2005,first shows how ****ed he was when he lost to Safin Australian Open,and second show how jealous he was that Safin is someone's idol and not him

Wow, what a nice bit of hatred in here. They all like Safin more, eh? You've heard it all from these players themselves?
Did Fed steal your boy/girlfriend, or what?

GameSampras
01-22-2009, 10:34 AM
You Safin hating trolls are just ridiculous.

Especially you Gamesampras, grow up. HE beat your beloved Sampras in the US Open final, and you're bitter about it, simple as that.
Safin has won 2 grand slams, how many people in the open Era have done that? ....Jeez what a bunch of idiots. You don't just walk in and win a slam, it's hard work you know, and add to this the fact that a large chunk of his career was:

A) Ruined by injury (post 05)
B) Crossed paths with the career of Federer (post 03), who was taking up all the slams.

He should have beaten Johansson in the AO in 02, I'll admit that, but that's it.

He was 2 good performances away from winning Wimbledon 2008, I bet that would have made you all shut up. I really hopes he beats Fed now, so I can rub it in your faces that he's still got more talent than most of the top 10....talking of the top 10, he may well end the year in the top 10 the way he is moving up the rankings, again, what an achievement that would be after all the injuries.

The guy has served the game well, and his charisma and charm have filled a vital role on the tour.

Show some respect...

Im not bitter about it.. Sampras afterall returned the favor the following year blowing Marat off the court. Nor was Safin ever really a blip on the radar to be a legit rival to anyone because he could never stay consistent and focused throughout the course of a season,. Im just saying what others would rather just sugarcoat etc because they cant the handle the truth. Yess He may be a great person personally.. But neither u nor I nor anyone else knows the real Marat. So I dont care what he does personally. All I know is when u look at his career, all u see is a big "What if" sign.

You know how many players that had the strong work ethic and the willingness to succeed would love Safin's pure talent? I dont like seeing players talents go to waste. Imagine if Roddick had Safin's talent combined with his work ethic

iamke55
01-22-2009, 10:41 AM
"Winners never quit, and quitters never win."

If only that were true in tennis. Safin is a quitter who deserves 0 slams.

mimi77
01-22-2009, 11:01 AM
Wow, what a nice bit of hatred in here. They all like Safin more, eh? You've heard it all from these players themselves?
I just can sence fake person and Roger is one FAKE person,and yes they all said that Safin was their idol growing up if I didn't read that I wouldn't write their names here.Roger can't steal anybody boy/girlfriend he is not interested in women or man only in tennis and himself

OJ ROD
01-22-2009, 11:05 AM
Hey GameSampras... listen...
I'm assuming that neither of us know Safin. So all we can go on is what we see on television and read on the web or in magazines. So let's be straight, why he is the way he is, why he does the things he does, and how hard he actually works(both physically, and mentally, the latter being much harder due to it's complications) is something we will probably never know for sure. Yes, the establishment will tell you he is an under achiever, and so will a person like sampras, and from what you've written you seem to agree with both. That's fine, that means that all three have the same mind set and approach to things.

But, think about this, ... Safin has basically known only one thing for the grand majority of his life, "I play tennis, I will/am a pro tennis player." We're average joes, even if our parents forced us to do something all our lives, it isn't the same just for the mere fact that doing what he does takes over your development as a person and then that person is exposed, in their most vunerable form(on the court where people can see some of your greatest flaws and do what they wish with that knowledge) to millions of people. I mean, I don't know you,...you don't know me...and we are discussing a person character, his career and life choices, a person we'll probably never meet, much less be acquainted with. Seriously, that alone would blow my mind if I was him.

Take your time with the point a made in that last paragraph... Please.
I want you to really wrap you're head around that concept so you might be able to understand what I'm trying to tell you.

Imagine being under such pressure, from people you don't even know, from broadcaster who, when they decide what to say, are thinking of ratings first because that is their livelyhood, not truly educating on the truth of the matter(not to say they are outright lying, but giving the truth a spin to get a big reaction, which can be more devastating) and will strongly influence an audience who are either ignorant to that fact or, amidst all the personally important thoughts, do not keep that truth in the front of their minds. Imagine getting up everyday and training, traveling, doing countless interviews a day from people who want the get as much from you as they can, and worrying about the next match and how you are going to prepare for it. Granted he was groomed to deal with it, but I was groomed to read books and learn many fact about many subjects at the same time to then be tested vigorously on them, that does not make it easy by any stretch of the imagination. And trough all this madness...keep who you truly are intact. Because once it's over...it's over. And God forbid you have some accident that prohibits you from playing, especially early on. All your life sacrificed, and now nothing to fall back on. Damn. There in lies that huge underlying factor,... this is all you have...it's either this or teaching tennis at a club, with stories of how once you were regarded as a "phenom''. I don't believe in monsters, but that a huge beast that would give me nightmares.

Imagine all that. It's incredible that this guys have as long of a career as they do.

Now hopefully you understand some of the things this guy has gone through.

Now....

Imagine dealing with all that against your will.
You have no other choice.

The people that nature has given you to manage your most important developmental years have decided this for you. And not just any people...no.
Those who grew up in a culture of very strict demands and very little room for anything else. People who grew up during some of the hardest times in their countries history (World War II and the Cold War). These people are tough to the bone and they will not take no for an answer. Either you do it...or I make you do it. Not to say they didn't love them, in fact, they would not have done it if they didn't. But as a child all you understand is your freedom being taken. You have no say in you life. People kill themselves everyday because of that. I don't want to sound overdramatic but it's true. A lot of people would rather be dead than live a life that isn't their own. Especially a life like the one described earlier.

But he did work hard, otherwise he would not have been able to do everything he has, (no.1, 2 grand slams, countless tournaments and intense historical matches, all admists rare and talented players whose sole dream is to be where they are) no matter how physically or mentally gifted he is.

But the fact of the matter is, when he achieved a high level of success...he achieved something greater. Liberty. The freedom to now do what he wanted out in his life. He wasn't a slave to ambitions that weren't his anymore. He achieved what he and his parents worked and sacrificed for all his life. The dept was paid. Now it was me time. Except he now doesn't know what to do with it, and he still needs to make enough money to live afterward. Hence the ups and downs. A person experimenting with doing what he wants whenever he wants, however he wants, after never truly being able to indulge in that option without sacrificing both his and his family's future(Including his sisters career, who i think gained much from a glimpse at stardom and success through her brother's, matter of opinion though.).

So you see. I don't see Safin's case as simple as achieved or didn't achieve. (Because worked hard is not a question in my mind.) IF...you looked at it from the sole view point of a career, then yes, he could've done more. But, to think only in this view(to be clear, I'm not saying that you do GameSampras, in this forum it is the position you have taken but I don't consider this to be you totally as a person) all the time is detrimental and life is so much more than what you did in your career, in you 20's and
early 30's. Or even life through your 40's or 50's. It's the whole thing. And I think Safin, because of all he has gone through, is painfully aware of that fact, and is taking a stand to apply it in his life, because it is HIS life. No matter what anyone says about his career. And kudos to him for that.

GameSampras, you make a strong point, in a lot of ways you speak the truth, but you are arguing a point much narrower than everybody else in the thread. You are talking career, and most everybody else is talking life. I think this is the source of the argument between poster on this thread.

I speak directly to GameSampras because he seems to be heavily outnumbered in these arguments and fighting hard. Let's refocus. We're discussing the last year of a pro that has achieved a lot, but that most, if not all of us don't know. From what can be seen he is a decent guy, who could've achieved a little more considering his circumstances.

But isn't that really everyone?

Safin, I think will be remembered fondly.

GameSampras
01-22-2009, 11:36 AM
See.. I dont feel Safin will be remembered too fondly from a tennis perspective. Certainly not remember very fondly among the tennis purists. Safin will definitely be remembered as an on-off the ccourt personality for sure. But you cant but look back at safin's career and just think to yourself... "This guy could have beeen one of the all time greats." And thats really all that interests me.. Im not much into public relations, a players personal life and partying and how many girlies he attracts.. They have the paparrazi for that stuff. Im into tennis

OJ ROD
01-22-2009, 11:40 AM
See.. I dont feel Safin will be remembered too fondly from a tennis perspective. Certainly not remember very fondly among the tennis purists. Safin will definitely be remembered as an on-off the ccourt personality for sure. But you ant but look back at safin's career and just think to yourself... "This guy could have beeen one of the all time greats." And thats really all that interests me.. Im not much into public relations, a players personal life and partying and how many girlies he attracts.. They have the paparrazi for that stuff. Im into tennis

I totally agree. Safin probably won't be remembered for his on court endeavors. But of course, most of his fans don't support him for merely his tennis accomplishments.

oranges
01-22-2009, 12:00 PM
I totally agree. Safin probably won't be remembered for his on court endeavors. But of course, most of his fans don't support him for merely his tennis accomplishments.

Yep, people tend to forget GS champions, especially when they play matches like USO 2000 final and AO 2005 semi, who would ever think about it once he retires. Ten years from now, everyone will whine and b*tch about one thing or another about Safin because he clearly won't leave anything worth remembering behind. The guy has played better matches during his 2004 AO run than quite a few GS finals, get real.

oneleggedcardinal
01-22-2009, 12:09 PM

This post is awesome.

Absolutely!

Mansewerz
01-22-2009, 01:49 PM

I know. why would Fed be jealous when the journalist said Fed was Gasquet's idol.

Regardless, Safin is the player and pimp of the tour. The ATP needs him!

norbac
01-22-2009, 01:52 PM

Most competent post I've ever read on these forums.

Gorecki
01-22-2009, 01:55 PM

http://www.irocknroll.com/images/Guns_N_Roses_Axl_Rose_Signed_Photo.jpg
http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper736/stills/e4c5tbdj.jpg

if we were in 1987 maybe...

veroniquem
01-22-2009, 02:03 PM

Sorry to rain on your parade, I understand you like the guy immensely but to me throwing temper tantrums on court like Safin routinely did (breaking chairs, racquets and whatever else was available) on top of underperforming for most of his career and fooling around instead of working hard definitely doesn't qualify as being a role model. I don't know if he places the bar too high for himself, but as far as role models are concerned, I place the bar a little higher than that.

mimi77
01-22-2009, 02:04 PM
I know. why would Fed be jealous when the journalist said Fed was Gasquet's idol.

Regardless, Safin is the player and pimp of the tour. The ATP needs him!
Did you read it from the start or you just read parts that you like.

norbac
01-22-2009, 02:04 PM

Nah, Safin is the coolest still.

pound cat
01-22-2009, 02:23 PM

He also would have liked to have played professional hockey. Then he would have been really rich and had millions more women chasing him, if that's possible.

Safin...the guy women love and many men would like to be.

Leublu tennis
01-22-2009, 02:31 PM
It will be a sad day when he is gone. He is one of my most favorite players to watch. You never know what he is going to do. Supreme talent, big hitter, the whole thing. One day he looks like a tennis god the next he hits it sideways. Fun to watch..... He is no robot like many others out there.
Amen. Good words.

vmosrafa08
01-22-2009, 02:31 PM
they said that 2010 will be his last season. So after this season, he will play one more.

NamRanger
01-22-2009, 02:40 PM
See.. I dont feel Safin will be remembered too fondly from a tennis perspective. Certainly not remember very fondly among the tennis purists. Safin will definitely be remembered as an on-off the ccourt personality for sure. But you cant but look back at safin's career and just think to yourself... "This guy could have beeen one of the all time greats." And thats really all that interests me.. Im not much into public relations, a players personal life and partying and how many girlies he attracts.. They have the paparrazi for that stuff. Im into tennis

Marcelos Rios is a highly overrated talent that never won a slam, yet he's still touted around by some people on this forum (which we can easily classify as tennis purist) as one of the most talented players to ever play the game.

Considering Rios never truly beat anyone great, it would be safe to say Marat Safin will be remembered.

NamRanger
01-22-2009, 02:44 PM
Sorry to rain on your parade, I understand you like the guy immensely but to me throwing temper tantrums on court like Safin routinely did (breaking chairs, racquets and whatever else was available) on top of underperforming for most of his career and fooling around instead of working hard definitely doesn't qualify as being a role model. I don't know if he places the bar too high for himself, but as far as role models are concerned, I place the bar a little higher than that.

His actions speak louder than his words. Safin never changed his personality, and is a real person. He's realistic. He's someone we can relate to. He's not an idol like Federer or Nadal. And for all those tantrums he threw, he never directed towards anyone; only himself (although there was one occasion where he pulled down his pants, I thought it was hilarious). He underachieved, but his tennis career is something many of us can relate to.

zagor
01-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Marcelos Rios is a highly overrated talent that never won a slam, yet he's still touted around by some people on this forum (which we can easily classify as tennis purist) as one of the most talented players to ever play the game.

Considering Rios never truly beat anyone great, it would be safe to say Marat Safin will be remembered.

Quoted for truth,if Rios who got past quarters of a slam once in his career and got beaten like a drum in his lone slam final is still brought up so often in this forum and talked about how he should have won 10 slams based on his talent I'm quite sure people will remember Safin who beat 2 of the GOAT candidates(with both of them in very good form)to win his 2 slams and who had some really memorable tourneys like AO 2004 when he came from nowhere and had thriller matches in almost every round(especially the one with Agassi was amazing).

Seany
01-22-2009, 03:16 PM
Look lets put an end to this, because some peoples ignorance is beyond belief.

List of people with 2 or more slams in the last 20 years:

federer
Agassi
Sampras
Kuerten
hewitt
Courier
Edberg
Bruguera
Lendl
Becker
Wilander
Nadal
Safin

I think Safin is in pretty good company there don't you?

Say what you want about his so called "under achieving"....As shown by the above list, the guy WILL be remembered as one of the modern greats, and also as a tormented genius, because that's what he is.

Thank Roger Federer and injuries for him not having 4 or 5.

The way in which he won the 2 slams will also stick very heavily in peoples minds, beating unquestionably the best player in the world (at the time) both times en route to the trophy.

Simple as that.

Morrissey
01-22-2009, 03:22 PM
He had some electric moments that truly caught our attention. He was fun to watch and I wish him the best after this year. He'll be missed.

SiggeZ
01-22-2009, 04:34 PM
Safin is considered one of the biggest underachievers in history

Yeah, but still he is not even close to the underachievements you have bombarded us with in this thred... Cheers mate! ;)

TheMusicLover
01-22-2009, 05:09 PM
His actions speak louder than his words. Safin never changed his personality, and is a real person. He's realistic. He's someone we can relate to. He's not an idol like Federer or Nadal. And for all those tantrums he threw, he never directed towards anyone; only himself (although there was one occasion where he pulled down his pants, I thought it was hilarious). He underachieved, but his tennis career is something many of us can relate to.

Absolutely true. I think one can well conclude that Safin's Biggest Rival has always been... Safin himself. And that's most definitely a feeling many of us recognize very well I think.

Mansewerz
01-22-2009, 05:39 PM
Did you read it from the start or you just read parts that you like.

Yes, I read it. But you're comment made no sense considering that Fed was gasquet's idol.

GameSampras
01-22-2009, 05:57 PM
I thought Laver was Fed's idol.. Not Sampras

angharad
01-22-2009, 06:33 PM
I remember he said in a press conference that one day people are gonna start to refer to him as 'Dinara Safina's older brother'. He's outright saying, 'you know what, my sister is going to achieve more than me, and she deserves it'. For someone to admit that a sibling who has lived in their shadow, a younger sibling, of the opposite sex(and let's not pretend like it not an issue, everybody know that it is, let's be real) is going to be better than them, especially in such a competitive enviroment, is truly honorable. It takes courage.

To add on to that, one of the first things Marat did when he started earning major prize money was buy out Dinara's sponsorship contracts. The schedule her early sponsor(s) had for her was running her ragged, and he wanted her to be able to play when and where she wanted and only for herself - something he'd never had. That's a pretty nice thing for an older brother to do.

One of the other things that struck me was from an interview - I think at the US Open a year or two ago - when Marat said that tennis had given him almost everything in his life, and that he dislikes it when a player takes from the game and then retires, giving nothing back. I'm sure that he'll retire when he feels that he's really no longer a contender.

I get that it's frustrating to be a Safin fan. Everyone I know that enjoys tennis "wanted more for him". In reality, though, the guy's achieved more in his career than most tennis players. His regrets and personal demons are his own, and he's the only one that has to deal with them.

If he does retire after this season, I'll miss him. There's almost always a quote or an incident that gives tennis fans something to talk about. I can only hope that he "settles" anything that he feels needs to be settled before he retires...and that he does some of the charity events that ESPN2 is fond of broadcasting at odd hours of the night.

GameSampras
01-22-2009, 06:36 PM
Marat was interviewed at Wimbeldon or the US OPEN after a match this past year and was asked what advice can u give your sister for being a successful tennis player...

He replied, " Do everything the exact opposite of what I did in my career."

oranges
01-23-2009, 04:00 AM
Marat was interviewed at Wimbeldon or the US OPEN after a match this past year and was asked what advice can u give your sister for being a successful tennis player...

And you don't see that as one of the things that make him such a peculiar and charismatic guy, Go figure.

MarrratSafin
01-23-2009, 04:10 AM

And that's why Safin is a true tennis legend.

GameSampras
01-23-2009, 04:33 AM
And that's why Safin is a true tennis legend.

Yea great legend.. A straight set thumping and couldnt even keep a FH in the court. What a LEGEND. He deserves to be mentioned with Borg, Sampras, Fed, Laver I would say

miyagi
01-23-2009, 04:35 AM
I like Safin he strikes me as much more Human than some of the other players who always try to be politically correct and hide their feelings/emotions.

Plus he is always entertaining to watch.....win or lose he will do something "interesting" during the match...

oranges
01-23-2009, 05:46 AM
Yea great legend.. A straight set thumping and couldnt even keep a FH in the court. What a LEGEND. He deserves to be mentioned with Borg, Sampras, Fed, Laver I would say

No, you have a point, he deserves a dimwit spewing nonsense much more.

GameSampras
01-23-2009, 05:50 AM
What nonsense?? Of what actually happened during the match?? Is that nonsense? Or the fact he goes MIA for years on end.. Is that nonsense too? GET A CLUE

oranges
01-23-2009, 06:43 AM
What nonsense?? Of what actually happened during the match?? Is that nonsense? Or the fact he goes MIA for years on end.. Is that nonsense too? GET A CLUE

It really can't get through your skull, can it? You've been obsessively pooping on a double GS champion, former No1, multiple DC winner, fill in at will other achievements. Get a clue: on top of blessing us with some of the greatest matches of all time and being a fun and unique guy, he's actually made a huge effort to come back after a major injury soon after winning the second GS. It was not the first time he had to deal with it either. He played qualies for a masters at some point, how many former world number ones you think would handle that well? He obviously lost a lot of speed since then, making it even more difficult to have a real crack at the top guys, yet he's here still playing. He could have retired in 2006 and it would have been easier on him. I'm grateful he didn't and he still has good matches in him and I don't want a dimwit speaking nonsense.

fps
01-23-2009, 07:02 AM

talking down to people in this way, especially on an internet forum where anyone can talk tough with no consequences, is a surefire way to lose the goodwill that is directed towards everyone when they initially join and start posting. please try and be less abrasive, the belittling persona isn't going to help you win people over to your argument.

crazylevity
01-23-2009, 08:08 AM
Yep, people tend to forget GS champions, especially when they play matches like USO 2000 final and AO 2005 semi, who would ever think about it once he retires. Ten years from now, everyone will whine and b*tch about one thing or another about Safin because he clearly won't leave anything worth remembering behind. The guy has played better matches during his 2004 AO run than quite a few GS finals, get real.

Yeah, I think Safin, underachieved or not, has left an indelible mark on the game. Those 2 matches are talked about fondly by tennis players and ex-pros alike. And I personally will never forget those two matches for the rest of my life, until I grow senile. And even then, I'll be telling my grandchildren to play the DVDs of these 2 matches every now and then.

Whatever he's made of his career, it's Hall of Fame material. Two slams, no.1 ranking, Davis Cup win. There are thousands of other players out there busting their guts day in day out for what he's done.

NamRanger
01-23-2009, 08:19 AM

He's done more legendary things in his life than you ever will. Quit bashing Safin or things will really start to get ugly.

GameSampras
01-23-2009, 08:22 AM
delete post

Milan
01-23-2009, 08:27 AM
To finalize this post, I'd like to say that Safin had a good career. Obviously 2 grand slams is a great accomplishment along with being number 1. He will be remembered as a hilarious guy, who enjoyed going out, acting crazy while still reaching number 1 in the world.

However, I also have no problem with those who want to criticize (not bash) Safin for his unwillingness to accept his role in Tennis. He never wanted to fully commit himself to be the best he could be. THere are many people on these boards that could have been low ranked professionals that wish they had his talent, or even half of it. So it is also unfair when you don't use the talent God gives you. We can all agree on that and that's why I understand the criticism.

That being said, Safin was great for tennis in other ways and it's always great to have the "opposite" personality. He also said what he wanted to say, and I always respect guys like that. Someone like Federer, feels because he is on top, he needs to be a role model and answer questions like a robot. Safin never felt that pressure.

sargeinaz
01-23-2009, 09:35 AM

Youre a clown. He MURDERED that guy in your avatar at the US Open when he was 19. If he retired from tennis after that he would still be remembered as one of the greatest talents. Safins forehands that cant stay in the court > anything you have done on a tennis court.

GameSampras
01-23-2009, 09:48 AM
Youre a clown. He MURDERED that guy in your avatar at the US Open when he was 19. If he retired from tennis after that he would still be remembered as one of the greatest talents. Safins forehands that cant stay in the court > anything you have done on a tennis court.

One of the all time greatest talents?? Talents and achievements are two different things. Sure many players have had TALENT but many didnt do much with it or didnt accomplish ENOUGH. And why do people keep going back to the one match Safin-Sampras had? LOL.. Because Im a Sampras fan. He also defeated Roger as well.. So a couple big wins every few years.. That doesnt make a player one of the "greatest." Consistency, work ethic, desire, year in year out achievements make one great and Safin has very little of it.

Players like Costas and Johannsen have slams too.. Anyone can win the lottery as well.. Just as anyone can defeat a player in a one match situation on any given day

oranges
01-23-2009, 10:04 AM
Players like Costas and Johannsen have slams too.. Anyone can win the lottery as well.. Just as anyone can defeat a player in a one match situation on any given day

I'll repeat it to you, you're a clown. I'll also repeat that he has a winning record against Sampras so he must have won the lottery four times. Now, will you kindly leave this thread. You have another one that you started where you can speak nonsense all you want.

OJ ROD
01-23-2009, 11:36 AM

I think understand what you are saying. But I think I need to clarify because what I said was mostly observations, not opinions. I do think Safin has some qualities that all role models should have, such as respect for others and doing your best to keep your personal problems to yourself(acting out on court is just a reaction, and anyway, people see tennis mostly as a mode of entertainment because of the human exposure aspect of the game so when you watch you know that watching a tamtrum from an player is just part of the "show"). But I don't believe Safin fulfills every quality of a good role model, only certain ones exceptionally well(though to really what I see them you have to take everything into perspective and give some real thought to see what I mean, I like to do that kind of thing). He is not the must graceful at handling on-court ordeals, that is something no one can realistically argue, and I have never thought otherwise. But, "When I see him...well,...I see a decent guy, and in someways, a great role model.", in "someways,".

I was focusing on the man off the court really. The person, not the player. What we see on the court, I think, is teenager like angst that had been stalled and not dealt with in his youth because other things took priority over that in his life. By that I mean, fulfilling his commitment to pull his family's investment, his tennis career, into success. Once that happened, decompression started. Hence, the 'crazy' Marat people tend to regard him as.
Notice there wasn't any significant trace of that 'angst' and general frustration and confusion with life before the U.S. Open win. There was some, but nothing so much as to caracterize him as a what he is so popularly regarded as today.
My last point is that i don't really have immense respect for him over all. It's just that I didn't like how some people where sort of bashing him without taking in account that this guy has a lot more to deal with than most, and with less tools to deal with it(although I've seen some subtle changes that progress has been made in the tools department. Kudos to him, and anyone like him).
Some people had such harsh tones with regard to his lack of achievements. A tone which is appropriate to some brat who has been given everything and understood his situation but chose to **** around with it. (strong language, but needed if someone is doing that.) But that isn't the case with Marat. I don't believe he started dirt poor. But he definetely didn't come from great means. What he has had, up to now, was not given but earned, through sweat and turmoil, by both him and his family.
And if you don't believe that is the case with him. Think about it, regardless of what I, or anyone else's view is.
But the facts are there. They aren't hiding. And I believe I'm right about him. If you don't, than I believe you are transfering feelings from something or someone else unto him who maybe similar in someway.
The guy ain't perfect. Nor a 'supreme' player.

But he has definitely EARNED more respect than what most people give him. Including in this thread. But as life goes,...we rarely get what we deserve. He knows that, and I think most people do. But we tread on. That is role a model quality he posesses. Again, he does not do so graciously in the public eye. But he does find a way to progress, however crooked his path may be. Winning ugly in life, man. You do what you have to for yourself with what your given. I see him, most of the time, first as a person, then a tennis player. Though I myself can't help it sometimes to be critical on his performance on the court. But I think that is a tennis lover's trait. Expecting the best from yourself and others. Wanting to see progress, because it can be contagious, but so can decent. In the though, nothing matters, especially what others act on or say. It's our own choices.

OJ ROD
01-23-2009, 11:43 AM
Yo Gamesampras!
Go hit a bag or something. Stop throwing out you're frustrations by voicing your 'first thought that come to mind' opinions and unloading such repetitively arrogant comments on other people. You obviously have issues to deal with since you are so passionately critical on someone you don't know and whose life outcomes really have no bearing on your own. You're inciting arguments with people and they go nowhere. Safin ain't your problem. And frankly neither am I or anyone else. Take a lesson from the person you've been bashing, and stop unloading your weight on other people.

You've really gone to far with this.