PDA

View Full Version : % hand on racquet?

fps
01-21-2009, 02:31 AM
Hey guys,
I've realised that on my serve and forehand the bottom of my hand is off the racquet. Do any of you guys do this? Would it be advisable to keep the whole hand including the palm at the *bottom* in contact with the grip?

GeorgeLucas
01-21-2009, 04:13 AM
Ahhh, I did this too. Feels like it gives you more snap to your shots, right? Eh?

Well in truth it hurts more than it helps. The extra wrist in your shots is purely illusionary and what ends up happening is you losing stability on forehands. You should try to make your way to having your entire hand on your racquet.

larry10s
01-21-2009, 04:56 AM
having your pinky off the racquet whaen serving is a common suggestion given to people trying to improve their serve. dont know about forehand

SystemicAnomaly
01-21-2009, 05:46 AM
I would suggest that you should do whatever works best for you in this respect.

You should be able to achieve faster racket head speeds with part of your palm off the racket (with your pinky very close to the butt of the racket). This is true for both serves and groundies.

LeeD
01-21-2009, 08:58 AM
Yeah, if it works, go for it.
Fed hits some forehands with pinkie off the bottom.
If you can get more racket head speed and keep control and consistency, there is nothing wrong.

ser_renely
01-21-2009, 09:17 AM
I do this as well but often wonder if it is part of the reason why I have so many blisters?

LeeD
01-21-2009, 09:19 AM
Blisters....
First of all, you gotta get your hand in condition, build some callous, so you prevent blisters.
If you still get them, better grip a bit tighter eh? Use a newer grip, use an overgrip, try not to let the racket slip in your hand. Hit center, all that jazz.

crappyBackHand
01-21-2009, 01:55 PM
what you can do is shave the side of the buttcap off, making it rounder, that way its easier on the hand and still have a defining edge.

crappyBackHand
01-21-2009, 01:56 PM
also when puttin gon grip make it stick out so that it covered up the edge. Again this is for comfort of your hand.

Stroke
01-21-2009, 03:18 PM
I don't think any player with advanced strokes his their FH with their pinky off the end of the handle. In fact, I feel most pros have their fingers, all of them, on the grip. As far as the serve goes, most of us would prob be well served to hang their pinky finger(with a true continental service grip) off the grip to try and get a feel for the looseness that is needed for a more advanced serve.

LeeD
01-21-2009, 03:23 PM
Actually, there's quite a few pics of Fed forehand where his pinky is floating in midair, with no racket around if he chose to grip it. Most I saw were actual forehands hit with a grip somewhere between eastern and western fores.

ronalditop
01-21-2009, 03:27 PM
when using a OHBH, all the hand must be on the handle, cause if there's a part of the hand off the racquet, then you get no stability and when returning a heavy ball the racquet would twist in the hand like crazy.

Indiana Puffed
01-22-2009, 06:39 AM
I can vouch for having your pinky near the butt edge of the raquet during serve - bizzarely I found that if I have my hand even a little bit up the grip, my grip changes during the service swing, even if I don't hit a ball. By putting the pinky near the butt edge, my grip (towards eastern backhand) stays in place. Makes a major difference in placement consistancy for me + as mentioned, allows for more of a free wrist. Plus, your reach is just that little bit more high (barely I know, but every little helps.)

As for other grips, I dunno :-?

jb193
01-22-2009, 08:37 AM
For a lot of professional players, I tend to think that one reason that they keep their whole hand on the grip is that many play with extended length racquets....

I for one, keep my pinky half on, half off for my serve, and it really pays dividends, however, I keep my pinky all the way on for forehands. To each his own though.........

LeeD
01-22-2009, 09:40 AM
In the players thread, there's pics of GiselaDulko hitting forehands with the pinkie finger below the racket.
Do what works, don't do what doesn't work.