PDA

View Full Version : (Dubai R16) Ferrero - Federer, your pick is?

Vlad
02-23-2005, 02:33 PM
Should be a good match and I am gonna go with Ferrero here. He looks to be playing pretty well at the moment, while Fed struggles a bit. Fed is still the favorite but I feel it will be a closer match than many people might think.

Aykhan Mammadov
02-23-2005, 03:36 PM
Federer will crash Ferrero. Don't think that this will be repeat of Lyubichich. Than one at least has excellent Ivanishevich's service. But Ferrero doesn't have even service.

Vlad
02-23-2005, 03:46 PM
Pardon for my ignorance but I have to say all Lubicic has is serve. Ferrero has the game that includes forehands, backhands, speed and touch.

robbie_dademo
02-23-2005, 03:56 PM
i tend to think federer will lift a notch for this game, he tends to get better as the tournament goes on.

ill go federer in straight sets, breaking serve once in each set.

ferrero i feel is still a month away from hitting top form i think he will be in business for the clay court season.

tennisboy87
02-23-2005, 03:56 PM
I'm going to say Federer in straights.

daniel_rst
02-23-2005, 04:16 PM
In 2003, this would have been a fantastic match. However, Ferrero is just now starting to slow his free-fall and Federer is still flying high. It would be a huge acheivement for Ferroro to even win a set off Federer right now.

nkhera1
02-23-2005, 04:22 PM
Federer easily wins this because i think Federer will be focused on this match and want to prove a poin that he is still the best. Before losing to Safin he was like 25-0 vs top 10 opponents its the lower seeds that give him trouble.

Max G.
02-23-2005, 04:29 PM
Before losing to Safin he was like 25-0 vs top 10 opponents its the lower seeds that give him trouble.

Lower seeds - like, say, Juan Carlos Ferrero, currently ranked 98th?

White Satin
02-23-2005, 04:41 PM
Federer~!!!

dAgEnIuS
02-23-2005, 04:48 PM
i'd say ferrero in 3 sets...
i've read few interviews that ferrero had, and he seems pretty confident that he can beat any player on the tour.
He says that he is the same Juan Carlos he was in 2003...

nkhera1
02-23-2005, 07:28 PM
i'd say ferrero in 3 sets...
i've read few interviews that ferrero had, and he seems pretty confident that he can beat any player on the tour.
He says that he is the same Juan Carlos he was in 2003...

Either he's not fooling anyone but himself, or everyone else got way better. I personally think its the first choice but different strokes for different folks.

nkhera1
02-23-2005, 07:28 PM
Lower seeds - like, say, Juan Carlos Ferrero, currently ranked 98th?

Not too long ago he was number 1 and considered to be a main rival of Federer along with Roddick

aj_m2009
02-23-2005, 11:08 PM
I say Ferrero 3-6 7-5 6-4. With the way Federer has been playing, which hasn't been great, I think Ferrero has a good chance to pull it out. If he does, hopefully it will give him a big confidence boost and he can start playing a lot better than what he had been.

Phil
02-24-2005, 12:33 AM
Should be a good match and I am gonna go with Ferrero here. He looks to be playing pretty well at the moment, while Fed struggles a bit. Fed is still the favorite but I feel it will be a closer match than many people might think.

Federer is 15-1 with two tournament wins in 2005 (and it's still February). I'm not sure how you define "struggles" but the numbers don't seem to bear that out. Fererro on the other hand, has been "struggling" for over a year. That said, it may be a close match.

laurie
02-24-2005, 02:38 AM
Interesting match up. I'm really looking forward to it as I have Dubai Sports on satellite and they show men's and women's version live every year. I'm quite lucky. I would pick Ferreo if and its a big if, he gets to net on approaches and stuff as often as possible and puts the pressure on Federer. If he has the courage of his convictions to do that, he has a chance to win the match.

If Ferrero doesn't play a smart tactical match, Federer will win easily.

By the way, Henman and Rusedski played a great match the other night. It was great to see two guys attacking eacother from start to finish. It definitely adds a different dimension to this sport.

SydW
02-24-2005, 03:10 AM
Vlad, Ljubicic doesn't just have serves, he has a nice backhand and Laurie, have you watched Ferrero when he gets to the net? Just bad.

laurie
02-24-2005, 03:18 AM
SydW, be positive. Ferrero has to be when he plays the match,. If he's not, he shouldn't bother to turn up.

That is one very interesting aspect to this site. So many people here write such negative comments about the people they are actually watching.

I have seen Ferrero play live and on TV and I think his volleying technique is adequate. Like Moya his fellow Spaniard, he's not afraid to go to net to try to finish the point. Coming to net is not always just about 99% technique, its also about bluff and making statements to your opponent and been brave and taking the initiative. To win at that level you have to take risks and not just rely on the mistakes of your opponent. As we know Federer does not make too many of those.

SydW
02-24-2005, 03:21 AM
I am not being negative or thrashing Ferrero, I was just saying as it is.

Coming to the net isn't his strong point and that's the fact. He did exactly what you said he should do plenty in AO 2004 and lost heaps of points there. If you can't put away easy volleys, expect Federer to punish you with his superior passing shots.

laurie
02-24-2005, 03:25 AM
Well, ok, but now its a different day and so anything can happen. After all thats what a rivalry is about. Ferrero lost then but of course now is his chance to try and redress the balance. Lets talk tomorrow when we've seen the result and how the match developed.

SydW
02-24-2005, 03:29 AM
I don't mean his match against Federer in AO 2004, I meant overall which was my point of saying that going to the net isn't really his strength especially against the calibre of Federer's passhing shots.

I certainly didn't mean Ferrero has no chance of beating Federer here, in fact today will be the best opportunity he can get. But just not with the strategy you mentioned.

laurie
02-24-2005, 03:38 AM
Hi. Do you have a suggestion of what tactic Ferrero could employ to win?

SydW
02-24-2005, 03:46 AM
Stick to his strength. He has one of the most solid groundstrokes and can match up well with Federer at the back.

I gave him 40% chance of beating Federer here if he can find enough motivation and come out all focus. But if Federer serves well all throughout the match, his chance is slim. But if he tries to come to net with very average net play, he will lose easily.

verdasco67
02-24-2005, 06:47 AM
i think federer will take it in 2 sets...however i think if federer is not playing well i think ferrero will have a chance to beat him.

fjgarciap
02-24-2005, 07:25 AM
BIG question mark for me to analyse beforehand. But we can take the result as a reference for next matches of both players.

Kevin Patrick
02-24-2005, 09:00 AM
laurie,
I agree in theory with what you say about volleying & Ferrero. Just throwing that play once in a while adds a great dimension to one's game.
But the courts in Dubai are on the slow side(Muster, Corretja, & Ferrero are past winners) & beating Federer on a slow hard court is very hard. Ferrero will need to generally stick to his strengths & be as consistent as possible.
I'm not able to see the match, but would like to hear your thoughts on it afterwards.

FalconX
02-24-2005, 09:09 AM
oops sorry that was a spoiler.

laurie
02-25-2005, 04:38 AM
Hi Kevin, it was a great match and my goodness! Ferrero had his chances to win. Won the first set. Had three straight breakbackpoints in the second when Federer served for the set, was 4:2 up in the third, got broken back but still had two match points in the tiebreak. I suppose in all of Federer's matches recently his opponents have had chances to win but can't drive home the issue. What impressed me about Ferrero was that any short ball Federer offered with his backhand was been punished with great forehands and down the line backhands by Ferrero. A bit of luck here and there decided it.