PDA

View Full Version : jumping on a top spin serve.

crappyBackHand
01-21-2009, 12:11 PM
is it necessary to jump on a topspin serve? When i don't it seem to hit the net way to often and i end up double faulting. Is my technique wrong?

Btw my jump isn't a forceful jump like in a jump serve. Its more like a push from my legs. I was told that if im doing this i loose alot of power and i need to be more planted on the ground.

Im 5'5 and use cont grip on serving.

m27
01-21-2009, 12:15 PM
Pushing off is what you should be doing. If you stay on the ground there is little to no leg drive and you will have no power in your serve.

oneguy21
01-21-2009, 12:22 PM
A video would be nice. And you need to jump. You can't get any power with no leg drive.

LeeD
01-21-2009, 01:07 PM
Jump or not, if you're hitting the net on a topspin serve, you are aiming too low, tossing the ball too far into the court (without YOU moving in), or just brushing the ball without enough full contact.
Any of the 3 will give you more clearance and depth.
I'd be nice to use lots of leg explosion, but your problem is one of improper technique excluding your legs.

Bungalo Bill
01-21-2009, 02:49 PM
is it necessary to jump on a topspin serve? When i don't it seem to hit the net way to often and i end up double faulting. Is my technique wrong?

Btw my jump isn't a forceful jump like in a jump serve. Its more like a push from my legs. I was told that if im doing this i loose alot of power and i need to be more planted on the ground.

Yes, there should be. Sometimes it feels like your feet and legs are springs working together to help you rise. It sometimes feels like your body pulls you up as well. It is not jumping. Maybe technically it can be called that, however, I dont make a conscious effort to jump from my legs. I make a conscious effort to involve my legs and feet through the shape of my body during the serve motion.
You

Bungalo Bill
01-21-2009, 02:51 PM

Yes, you should rise off the ground. It is not jumping however. On my serve motion it feels like my legs and toes are like springs that get loaded and then spring out and up. This is timed with my motion.

Well, in a very technical sense it could be called jumping but not in the way we normally think of "jumping".

LeeD
01-21-2009, 03:06 PM
I wish I could still jump for any of my serves, but alas, it doesn't appear to happen on a normal basis.
I tried shooting some baskets the other day, and the feet don't leave the ground anymore. Not for turnarounds, not the 3 point attempts, not for floaters in the lane.
I seriously don't think I can jump for a serve anymore. But I can hit an AmericanTwist that bounces between 5-6' high.
When you get older, you gotta compensate with different and other techniques, but sometimes it still can work :confused::confused:
Perhaps that explains why my first serve only bounces around waist high nowadaze. It used to bounce maybe a foot or more higher.:oops:

Bungalo Bill
01-22-2009, 07:56 AM
I wish I could still jump for any of my serves, but alas, it doesn't appear to happen on a normal basis.
I tried shooting some baskets the other day, and the feet don't leave the ground anymore. Not for turnarounds, not the 3 point attempts, not for floaters in the lane.
I seriously don't think I can jump for a serve anymore. But I can hit an AmericanTwist that bounces between 5-6' high.
When you get older, you gotta compensate with different and other techniques, but sometimes it still can work :confused::confused:
Perhaps that explains why my first serve only bounces around waist high nowadaze. It used to bounce maybe a foot or more higher.:oops:

I hear you. I am taking about 4-5 aleeves before I play now. My flexibility has deminished, and my feet crack and are sore sometimes. My serve speed has gone down. My movement a step or two slower. The joys of aging. Sucks getting old.

LeeD
01-22-2009, 08:36 AM
:confused:
I wish I lost only a step. Chronic left high ankle sprain and right hip socket almost popping out. Hitting hand wrist sore at base of pinkie. I take 4 Ibus every 2 hours for playing tennis, and still can't play well after 3 singles sets or 5 doubles sets.
Worse, all the really good young players want me to hit with them. Basically, they just want to beat the pants off the old man.:cry::cry:

NamRanger
01-22-2009, 08:40 AM
I hear you. I am taking about 4-5 aleeves before I play now. My flexibility has deminished, and my feet crack and are sore sometimes. My serve speed has gone down. My movement a step or two slower. The joys of aging. Sucks getting old.

Well, you have years of experience to make up for that. And social security :P

LeeD
01-22-2009, 08:43 AM
I see little advantage of SS myself.
Sure, I'd make more SS two years from now than I do right now, but I won't have any more time to play tennis than I ever did since I was 24.
Getting old ain't so great, but it's sorta better than the alternative.

kelz
01-22-2009, 01:38 PM
Yes. You push off vertically, try not to step into your court - unlike your slice/flat.

Bungalo Bill
01-22-2009, 02:27 PM
Well, you have years of experience to make up for that. And social security :P

So what do I have to look forward too? Old man, no knees doubles? Where balls are hit to you but we bend at the waist with straight legs trying to "scoop" up the ball?

Or do I need to get back into coaching to teach you snivelling youngsters? ;)

tennisdad65
01-23-2009, 12:12 PM
I used to jump on my serve in my 20s. Now, in my 40s I switched to the classical style (copied stich). Front leg is firmly planted and back leg kicks forward, up and across front leg and into the court. This style is great for my knees.

Sometimes I make an attempt to reach up on my left toes. Thats about as close to a jump, I have come these days. :)

if you are young and no knee issues etc, jump while you can..:)

LeeD
01-23-2009, 12:31 PM
:) Try blazing a first serve when you're 3 weeks from 60. :)
Fortunately, the second seems to be pretty stable thru the last 30 years, and is by far the more effective weapon.

Bud
01-24-2009, 12:24 PM
:) Try blazing a first serve when you're 3 weeks from 60. :)
Fortunately, the second seems to be pretty stable thru the last 30 years, and is by far the more effective weapon.

If that's true why are you bothering with a 'blazing' first serve. Just serve 2 'second' serves.

LeeD
01-24-2009, 12:28 PM
I've said several times before, but no one heeds it....
Playing tennis is all about FUN, now that I don't compete anymore.
FUN is smacking the first serve so the returner stands waaay back for his safety. FUN is not using your effective shots to win points. That can be FUN, but less likely.
FUN is smacking your forehand as hard as you can into the open court. FUN is not playing safe, hoping to win by attrition.
FUN is first strike tennis, so the opposition cannot get any groove, has no answers, and you're always dictating the point.
That is FUN even when you lose.

NickC
01-24-2009, 01:22 PM
In regards to the OP:

You shouldn't try to jump on purpose on your serve. You should let the momentum of chasing the ball combine with the release of the knee bend pull you off the ground.