PDA

View Full Version : Tension input on cyberflash

tennispr()
01-21-2009, 12:33 PM
I generally use synthetic gut at 63 on my microgel prestige pro and was wondering if you guys can give me a suggested tension for cyberflash (full set). I was also considering hybriding it with some leftover gosen OG micro, what does this do exactly?(im noob) thanks

Jonny S&V
01-21-2009, 02:02 PM
I generally use synthetic gut at 63 on my microgel prestige pro and was wondering if you guys can give me a suggested tension for cyberflash (full set). I was also considering hybriding it with some leftover gosen OG micro, what does this do exactly?(im noob) thanks

If you string syn gut at 63 lbs, then I would go anywhere from 55-58 lbs (I personally went from Gosen OG Micro at 62 lbs to Cyberflash at 58 lbs, so I have a little background with both). The advantage using a hybrid is to give yourself a little more power then you would get with full poly. This lets you hit more successful touch shots and flat shots. Everyone has to start somewhere, so I hope this helps! :)

radical pro joe
01-21-2009, 06:20 PM
I use a hybrid of Cyberflash and Forten Sweet at 60/58.

StevenLaurence
01-22-2009, 07:05 AM
Gosen Micro does make a good cross string, but don't lower the tension if your hitting long. Keep going up until you stop hitting long. I play at 81-84lbs with a 85sq.inch frame. Don't be afraid!

auzzieizm
01-22-2009, 07:18 AM
^^i used to get strange reactions stringing my 90 sq. in. frame at 70 lbs with kevlar/syn gut 15 hybrid, but you take the cake

StevenLaurence
01-22-2009, 07:25 AM
I like Sampras, Seles and Borg believe control first then add power. At 84lbs I can hit it hard without it going long. That why so many Pro's in the past liked dead frames and strings.

SteveI
01-22-2009, 08:04 AM
If you string syn gut at 63 lbs, then I would go anywhere from 55-58 lbs (I personally went from Gosen OG Micro at 62 lbs to Cyberflash at 58 lbs, so I have a little background with both). The advantage using a hybrid is to give yourself a little more power then you would get with full poly. This lets you hit more successful touch shots and flat shots. Everyone has to start somewhere, so I hope this helps! :)

Hi,

One of my fav set-ups Cyberflash/OG Hybrid Jonny has the tension about where I would start also about 58-59 and 60 on the O/G

hoodjem
01-22-2009, 08:11 AM
I play at 81-84lbs with a 85sq.inch frame. Don't be afraid!
Holy cow!

If you string CF too tight you will know it--it will have NO feel.

IMO the advantage of a poly/synth gut hybrid is to add feel and touch to the poly mains.
Try CF at 57-58 and Gosen at 60-61.

chang10is
01-22-2009, 06:40 PM
I just went from an all Gosen OG Sheep Micro setup at 58/56 lbs mains/crosses to a Cyberflash 17/Gosen hybrid. I use a Yonex and always string the crosses 2-3 pounds lower than the mains, as per the manufacturer's recommendation of 5% lower tension on crosses. So I strung the hybrid at 56/54 lbs. It worked out pretty well. Stringbed was a tad stiffer than normal initially, but this is what I wanted vs. my old setup.

chang10is
01-22-2009, 06:49 PM
Oh, I meant to add that hybriding softens up the stringbed compared to a full Cyberflash setup. Some people recommend having the synthetic gut at a higher tension than the polyester/co-poly string because the latter is stiffer. Personally, I'm more concerned about structural integrity of the racquet and balancing out the forces from the mains and crosses. This is especially important for a Yonex b/c of its isometric head shape; I think it's not as important for other manufacturers. Hope this helps!

0d1n
01-22-2009, 11:51 PM
If you want a full cyberflash job I suggest going 2 kg's (~ 4 lbs) lower than your full synthetic job for a first try. This will give you a fair baseline from which you can adjust further.
Don't listen to the noise of some people stringing 85's with full poly at above 70 pounds, this is really not something you would want to try if you string synthetics @ 60.
Also ... this is the internet ... and some people's idea of fun is to give ridiculous feedback in hope that other people actually try it.

hoodjem
01-23-2009, 07:18 PM
I just went from an all Gosen OG Sheep Micro setup at 58/56 lbs mains/crosses to a Cyberflash 17/Gosen hybrid. I use a Yonex and always string the crosses 2-3 pounds lower than the mains, as per the manufacturer's recommendation of 5% lower tension on crosses. So I strung the hybrid at 56/54 lbs. It worked out pretty well. Stringbed was a tad stiffer than normal initially, but this is what I wanted vs. my old setup.

Don't forget to string the poly 5-10% lower ---wherever it is.

howy
01-23-2009, 11:44 PM
If you string syn gut at 63 lbs, then I would go anywhere from 55-58 lbs

Would go for that range.

Winners or Errors
01-24-2009, 05:01 AM

I've noticed, upon experimenting a bit with Cyberflash 17, that I can reduce tension, pick up dwell time, and not hinder control. The string simply does not move. I have gone from stringing it at 57lbs, to stringing at 52lbs, which is easier on my arm and doesn't seem to sacrifice control. I think it's quite reasonable to drop about 10-15% compared to synthetic gut, and that lower tensions are OK for those of us who don't hit the ball as hard as a pro, and don't try to... ;-)

netman
01-24-2009, 04:41 PM
I moved to CyberFlash from Gosen SM. Both in 17. I would string the SM at 60. I strung the CF at 55. The CF was still way more stiff at 55 than the SM at 60.

BTW, I am moving back to all SM. As much as I loved the CF (and the CyberBlue) allowing me to swing as hard as I wanted and still have control, even at really low tensions they were much, much harder on my arm than the SM. In fact I was having to swing so hard to get depth, I was wearing my arm and shoulder out over the course of a 3 set match.

IMHO, the CyberBlue is softer than the CF and a better choice in a hybrid.

-k-

Azzurri
01-26-2009, 09:25 AM
If you want a full cyberflash job I suggest going 2 kg's (~ 4 lbs) lower than your full synthetic job for a first try. This will give you a fair baseline from which you can adjust further.
Don't listen to the noise of some people stringing 85's with full poly at above 70 pounds, this is really not something you would want to try if you string synthetics @ 60.
Also ... this is the internet ... and some people's idea of fun is to give ridiculous feedback in hope that other people actually try it.

I think you just provided an answer to why FEDACE posts. His garbage bag over the racquet head to prevent moisture from the handle is classic. He actually had some willing to try it.