PDA

View Full Version : Chewing Thru String

thebuffman
01-21-2009, 01:30 PM
Okay i need help here. I never had this problem until I 1) started hitting against a ball machine 2) began using proper technique after hours of training

I hit with Head Radical Pro and Head Extreme Pro. I've been breaking string left and right. My Pro was strung at 57 tension with PSGD and the Extreme at 53 tension same string. After snapping string in the Pro i moved tension 58 and strung the entire racquet with Babolat natural gut. The natural gut is fraying and getting ready to pop as well.

I am taking the Extreme to the shop for another string job since it just popped dead center the other night but paused to inquire on the forum for a sec. Conventional wisdom says "dummy don't do the same thing and expect different results". So I will hold off my stringing job until I get input from the forum. Is it time to leave the PSGD and Natural Gut alone and head in a different direction? Should I raise my tension considerably? My swing style is a full motion finish over my shoulder (not windshield wiper). I come from below the ball for decent topspin.

Not sure what other information I can offer to help attain sound advice. Any help at this point is appreciated.:confused:

LeeD
01-21-2009, 01:40 PM
You didn't mention how many balls were actually hit. Strings don't last forever, but they should last maybe couple hours of hard hitting.
Gut...was it dry?
If you want lasting, I'd consider a thicker gauge nylon strung tight enough to never move.

ag200boy
01-21-2009, 01:42 PM
you have a few options

a) switch to a more durable string such as poly
b)switch to a cheaper string such as forten tournament nylon (20 bucks for a reel)
c) this one is probably your best option: buy a cheap stringing machine and do it yourself, save a ton of money then just use what you like and don't have to worry about durability

SchreckTennis
01-21-2009, 01:45 PM
you have a few options

a) switch to a more durable string such as poly
b)switch to a cheaper string such as forten tournament nylon (20 bucks for a reel)
c) this one is probably your best option: buy a cheap stringing machine and do it yourself, save a ton of money then just use what you like and don't have to worry about durability

I second that

wao
01-21-2009, 02:00 PM
Okay i need help here. I never had this problem until I 1) started hitting against a ball machine 2) began using proper technique after hours of training

I hit with Head Radical Pro and Head Extreme Pro. I've been breaking string left and right. My Pro was strung at 57 tension with PSGD and the Extreme at 53 tension same string. After snapping string in the Pro i moved tension 58 and strung the entire racquet with Babolat natural gut. The natural gut is fraying and getting ready to pop as well. By the way I string my extreme pro's with Blue Gear mains and Max Touch crosses 53/56 or Lux ALU rough/MT.

I am taking the Extreme to the shop for another string job since it just popped dead center the other night but paused to inquire on the forum for a sec. Conventional wisdom says "dummy don't do the same thing and expect different results". So I will hold off my stringing job until I get input from the forum. Is it time to leave the PSGD and Natural Gut alone and head in a different direction? Should I raise my tension considerably? My swing style is a full motion finish over my shoulder (not windshield wiper). I come from below the ball for decent topspin.

Not sure what other information I can offer to help attain sound advice. Any help at this point is appreciated.:confused:Both racquets being an open string pattern will eat up strings especially soft strings like syn gut/multi and gut if you play with spin. I would suggest a soft co-poly /Hybrid or string savers. As the other poster mentioned stringing yourself also saves you money and you can try out different tensions and strings. I also play with the extreme Pro and string mine with Blue Gear / Max touch at 53/56 or ALU Rough/MT

StevenLaurence
01-22-2009, 06:59 AM
After stringing mains spray some WD40 and then string crosses. Plus stringsavors in a crisscross pattern starting from the 4th cross. then 6th, then 8th, then 10th.
Then be amazed!!!!!!!!!!!!

hoodjem
01-22-2009, 08:41 AM
Skip the WD40 and go straight for the 10W30.

Then be bumfuzzled!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously and actually, try a poly/poly hybrid, such as what AG200 uses:
Cyberflash 1.20 X Big Ace 1.25

Should last very, very long.

Bud
01-22-2009, 09:05 AM
After stringing mains spray some WD40 and then string crosses. Plus stringsavors in a crisscross pattern starting from the 4th cross. then 6th, then 8th, then 10th.

I definitely agree that string savers (Babolat Elastocross) will help. Never tried the WD40, though :)

SOY78
01-22-2009, 10:12 AM

Just stay away from an open flame or electrical machinery ;)

jim e
01-22-2009, 04:14 PM

You advised to the WD 40 on another post.
Can you imagine, that oil gets transferred to the balls, then to your sweaty hands, try and get a grip after that! Then your leather grip, or overgrip has an oil film on it until it is replaced, what a mess. What kind of advise is this!WD 40? Good Grief!
If you need to put WD 40 on your mains to install the crosses without damage to the strings, then you seriously need to look at your technique of stringing!Unbelievable!

ncode tour90
01-22-2009, 05:13 PM
go to polys or get string savers