PDA

View Full Version : how to recover from a bad tennis day?

m.dubya24
01-21-2009, 02:30 PM
well i know everyone has bad days but they still bug me to death! some days when i practice it hit really really good, powerful forehand, strong backhands etc...but other days i look like a complete joke! what are the best ways you use to recover from an off day?

LeeD
01-21-2009, 02:35 PM
Know that on your way to tennis god-dom, your progress is NOT a smoothly accelerating curve or line, it's a predominately up and down, good and bad, smooth and rough, constantly changing curve or line.
You have good days followed by disasterous. You have horrible days, followed by days of more horrible! But sometimes by some great all invincible days too.
That's life's journey, to experience the ups and the downs.

J011yroger
01-21-2009, 03:01 PM
Crack open a Miller Lite, rub one out, and try again tomorrow.

J

Essential Tennis
01-21-2009, 06:16 PM
well i know everyone has bad days but they still bug me to death! some days when i practice it hit really really good, powerful forehand, strong backhands etc...but other days i look like a complete joke! what are the best ways you use to recover from an off day?

Greetings,

I did a podcast specifically on this a few weeks back. Click the link below and check out Podcast #40. Hopefully its helpful to you

Cheers

http://www.essentialtennis.com/podcast/

ayuname
01-21-2009, 06:46 PM
troll odds and ends and sleeeeep.

Shahar26
01-21-2009, 07:28 PM
As I answered earlier in another thread

"I find a shot of Vodka to be a very good relaxer...."

lawlaw
01-22-2009, 09:16 AM
I used to destroy a frame if I put in a shameful performance. However, I found that giving the frame I was going to kill to one of the kids watching the match was far more rewarding.

A bad performance should only inspire you. There will be days where it's so bad and it seems like you just started playing tennis, but everything is in the mind when it comes to the varying levels of performance.

Puma
01-22-2009, 11:03 AM
If you could go out with that Dulko chick I guarantee your tennis game won't matter much if at all. If so, you are a corpse.

LuckyR
01-22-2009, 11:28 AM

The beauty of tennis is that there are so many ways to win. Any moron can win when they are in the Zone and painting the lines with the ball. Being a true winner is figuring out how to win the last point of the match when your strokes aren't all that great, you know, on your off days. Using Plan B, your athleticism, your foot speed, strategy analysis and even mild gamesmanship to prevail will show you that you have attained the next higher level of the game.

LeeD
01-22-2009, 11:37 AM
Yeah, I've always embraced this philosophy...
You are judged by others,,,,, your worse games, your worse moments.
You judge yourself.... by your best games, winners, and best moments.
Somewhere in between is a grain of reality.
I'm not looking, are you?

futuratennis
01-23-2009, 06:00 PM
yea i hate the bad days, you feel useless lol.. just remember that the skills are still there but u just had a bad day, and like someone said, be inspired by your bad performance to play better next time, also dont dwell too much on your performance, just say "i played bad" but dont say anymore

mikeler
01-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Think of how lucky you are that you are in good health and can play tennis. Many people physically cannot do it. If that doesn't work, hit the booze and crank one out as recommended earlier in this thread.

Jackie T. Stephens
01-23-2009, 07:47 PM
What I usually do is go out with a girl and it takes my mind off of everything!

The_Punisher
01-25-2009, 08:06 PM
after about an hour of sulking and being ****ed, i sit down and think about what i was doing wrong.

for example, i had a day like that last week. an hour after the practice session, i realized that i wasn't accelerating through my serve and my strokes enough, which meant that my strokes were flying long, and my timing was off. this week, everything went pretty well.