PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone asked you to hit a few balls and you find out they are no good.

ssjkyle31
01-21-2009, 04:34 PM
Has anyone asked you to hit a few balls and you find out they are no good. What do you do then? I usually end up playing a set with them. I will tank three or four games then see if I can come back if I don't get frustrated with chasing all the out balls especially the one over the fence.

LeeD
01-21-2009, 04:46 PM
Since I NEVER arrange a hit or set ahead of time, it happens quite often.
Mostly they and you gotta judge with whatever system you use. I guess I appear to be OK at tennis, so hardly anyone below my level asks me to hit with them.
If perchance they did ask, and were really bad, I'd beg off after maybe 15 minutes. Almost always they understand.
More often thos, they're pretty good and we end up having an OK time.
You can look at their equipement, shoes, tan, physique, whatever, and decide if it's worth it.
Walls are great for just that. But almost (there are some) no one who relishes hitting the wall is any good at playing on a court.

raiden031
01-21-2009, 04:59 PM
I've been approached a few times by people needing some to hit with. They are usually 3.0-3.5. They usually warn that they suck ahead of time, probably because I'm young and athletic and they are assuming that I'm good and they are always middle-aged or senior.

Okazaki Fragment
01-21-2009, 05:07 PM
That's why I always start out hitting left handed.

user92626
01-21-2009, 05:14 PM
When the tennis urge strikes, I'd hit with anybody. My "level" adjusts accordingly. :)

theace21
01-21-2009, 05:29 PM
Have a built in excuse...I had a match scheduled but he has not arrived yet...

jasoncho92
01-21-2009, 05:40 PM
Back in NY i had no one but old people asking me to play and it was horrible. I always had my, "I have HW to do so i gotta go soon" excuse at hand though

ssjkyle31
01-21-2009, 05:48 PM
When the tennis urge strikes, I'd hit with anybody. My "level" adjusts accordingly. :)

So you developed levels of play, depending on the opponents level.

ssjkyle31
01-21-2009, 05:50 PM
Mostly they and you gotta judge with whatever system you use. I guess I appear to be OK at tennis, so hardly anyone below my level asks me to hit with them.
If perchance they did ask, and were really bad, I'd beg off after maybe 15 minutes. Almost always they understand.
You can look at their equipement, shoes, tan, physique, whatever, and decide if it's worth it.
Walls are great for just that. But almost (there are some) no one who relishes hitting the wall is any good at playing on a court.

Sometimes if the equipment is to new, it makes me wonder.

Kick_It
01-21-2009, 05:56 PM
I'll usually only agree to hit with someone I haven't seen play before for about 15 minutes. If after hitting a while - it turns out they are worth hitting with again - I'll set up another hit at another time.

LeeD
01-21-2009, 05:57 PM
I dunno....
Sometimes I show up with new rackets and new shoes. So should you all avoid hitting with me if I ask?
And if the person wasn't all that good, you could always ask to play a set, then just bagel them 0 and 0 with few missed shots. Makes you more a tiger, less a lamb for the next guy.
But be nice, you never know, they might have a cute sister.:):)

BU-Tennis
01-21-2009, 06:02 PM
And if the person wasn't all that good, you could always ask to play a set, then just bagel them 0 and 0 with few missed shots. Makes you more a tiger, less a lamb for the next guy.

I just think if a person isn't that good, save for the fact that they can hit the ball in the court consistently, then you should take the opportunity to work on footwork, volleys, and just solidifying some basic technique and principles. This is an opportune time to work on patterns and the shots that you need to improve since the opposition won't be hitting very hard or with much spin.

ssjkyle31
01-21-2009, 06:07 PM
I dunno....
Sometimes I show up with new rackets and new shoes. So should you all avoid hitting with me if I ask?
But be nice, you never know, they might have a cute sister.:):)
Point well taken about the sister, I mean everything from the matching outfit to new bags (new everything). I don't like bagelling people either unless its in a tournament or league match. I would rather do what Blu does.

LeeD
01-21-2009, 06:07 PM
That sounds valiant.
But in my case, since my mental approach is my weakness, it's better to just hammer them into submission and go on to the next hitting partner.
Not that working on my game would make me less effective, but tennis is supposed to be FUN, first and foremost, and for me, fun is hitting winners constantly, getting back every one of their "winners", and making like Alpha dog for the moment.
Fun is NOT hitting with some inferior opponent who might think he's an equal, or is hoping someday to get ONE game off me. That is called BORING.

beckham
01-21-2009, 06:08 PM
it happens a lot for me. guys on my team who are really bad, ask if i will hit with them. lucky i have my brother and we are both 4.5-5.0, and we will tell them to wait, and then hit for the last 20-30 minutes until my ride comes. we have 2 guys that arent so good, and then my bro and i so we combine and play doubles,and just try to help them out, its not to bad, but it can get annoying sometimes....what i find more annoying, is that they will ask for rides, and we will have to out of our way to drop them off...when we say yes, they will call their parent s and tell them they have a ride, when their parents could have/were going to pick them up....my moms british, and she cant say no, even if it adds 15-20 mins.

LeeD
01-21-2009, 06:13 PM
Since we're basically outcasts from the states, we have no qualms about letting people find their own way home.
I drive a big extended F150 Van. I never take anyone anywhere unless they are of the opposite gender. Too bad, not a chance, game over.

ZPTennis
01-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Has happened a few times while I'm practicing serve or hanging around the club when I used to live in Tampa. In my experience, the people who have approached me to hit are always around 1 rating level below me.

I've always been nice so I tell them sure just in case theres that one odd chance they could be my next good hitting partner. Though its never happened yet.

After a few rallies you immediately know what level they are and if they aren't worth rallying with I immediately ask them to play a set. This is really a polite way to get rid of them since it combines both more fun for you, and gives the knowledge to your opponent that they aren't in your league so they won't ask to play again. Just make sure you beat them 6-0 or they will rationalize that they can somewhat compete with you. And if they get more than a game, then you should probably re-evaluate their level. :)

I always use this type of set to practice serve and volley and return of serve coming to the net since vollies are the best thing for me to work on. The points are really short and the set lasts about 20 minutes. You exchange some friendly words after and depart ways.

LeeD
01-22-2009, 09:54 AM
ZP, you are a good and smart man !:)

lawlaw
01-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Far too often. When I am knocking down some serves, someone will come over and say "can I try to return some" etc. Either that or they will want to hit.

The best thing to say IMO is that you can only have 20mins. If they are no good for you to hit with, after 20mins you are free. If they are then you can tell them you can stay a bit longer ;)

TonLars
01-22-2009, 10:43 AM
Has happened a few times while I'm practicing serve or hanging around the club when I used to live in Tampa. In my experience, the people who have approached me to hit are always around 1 rating level below me.

I've always been nice so I tell them sure just in case theres that one odd chance they could be my next good hitting partner. Though its never happened yet.

After a few rallies you immediately know what level they are and if they aren't worth rallying with I immediately ask them to play a set. This is really a polite way to get rid of them since it combines both more fun for you, and gives the knowledge to your opponent that they aren't in your league so they won't ask to play again. Just make sure you beat them 6-0 or they will rationalize that they can somewhat compete with you. And if they get more than a game, then you should probably re-evaluate their level. :)

I always use this type of set to practice serve and volley and return of serve coming to the net since vollies are the best thing for me to work on. The points are really short and the set lasts about 20 minutes. You exchange some friendly words after and depart ways.

Haha, Ive done this before twice myself while waiting for a late hitting partner. Both times they were basically beginners, but seemed interested and excited to play tennis. I started off both times hitting real soft low lobs right to them with no spin so they can try to rally. But they couldnt even do that. So then after a while instead of playing a set, I just started attacking the ball so they would get the point.

Pushmaster
01-22-2009, 10:49 AM
Plenty of times, but it wasn't as bad as getting a root canal or anything.

bhupaes
01-22-2009, 11:31 AM
Happens a lot to me... I use this as a practice session, and concentrate on footwork, form, etc. The reality is, some of their mishits make for some great practice. :) I also get their goodwill, which means a lot to me.

More recently, I have developed an obsession to learn to play with my left hand, for various reasons. My normal right-handed backhand is two-handed, but I have a one-hander for my lefty backhand - I love it. If I play with a 3.0 guy, my lefty game usually comes out pretty even, and it feels great to be a beginner again!

iamke55
01-22-2009, 11:42 AM
Smack them right out of the park. What else would a tennis player do?

LeeD
01-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Pushmaster....
Funny ding...
Last year, thought I should pull a couple of molars. Sos I get the pliers, count down from 100, and first try at 78 pulled and spurted blood for like 3 minutes, and bled for maybe 5. Stanched the bleeding after 7.
Second was waiting, but now I've gotten all sweaty from pain (from the first one), some apprehension, and some doubt. So back to 100, down to 55, which took a while, and PULL.
Second one only pulsed for a minute or so, then almost stopped bleeding:):)
Wat a way to save $75, eh? :confused:
There might be something better to do in life, but I'm not doing it.

Pushmaster
01-22-2009, 12:11 PM
^^^ What, no Novacaine? LOL

Steady Eddy
01-22-2009, 01:05 PM
First thing; when they don't stand at the baseline or behind the baseline, but somewhere in no-man's land, you know you're in trouble. You try to feed them, but it's hard to get every ball over the net, yet short of the service line. (Be sure to use old balls, because some of them are sure to end up in a pond or lake.)

LeeD
01-22-2009, 01:59 PM
No aspirin, no Tylenol, no nothin....
Steady Eddy, you are a good man.
I'm not, so I don't hit with way lesser players.
Now if they're cute, dress wow, and single........

FuriousYellow
01-22-2009, 02:24 PM
It's annoying, especially when you haven't warmed up and they're spraying shots all over the court, but I don't mind as much after I'm warmed up. It's good practice because their shots are so unpredictable. It keeps your feet from getting lazy.

kelz
01-22-2009, 02:33 PM

I think that's a pretty good indicator.

Bagumbawalla
01-22-2009, 05:10 PM
If youare a person who considers yourself a good player, you should not wait to be asked.

For the good of the game, you should seek people out who need help and offer them help to improve their game.

When you were just starting out, you would have apperciated the help, as well.

My current coach is a former touring pro who offers his service, advice, training to us for free, because he feels it is the right thing to do for the community.

Unless I have an unbreakable appointment with another player, I will try to do the same for a player that is serious about the game.

LeeD
01-22-2009, 05:15 PM
Wow, it's amazing to see a doo gooder for a change.:shock::shock:
Since I don't teach anything, not basketball, football, fencing, surfing, waterski jumping, motocross, roadracing, windsurfing, or kitesurfing, I don't see the need for me to help complete strangers on a tennis court.
Nobody helped me, so I can pass that on.

The_Steak
01-22-2009, 07:02 PM
So cruel to beginners....

WildVolley
01-22-2009, 07:16 PM
Yes, but most the people I hit with are not as good as I am, and I'd say I'm only around a 4.5 on a good day.

As long as I can work on an aspect of my game, then the hitting session isn't a loss. For example, hitting against a pusher can be helpful in working on footwork and how to hit a slow or dead ball.

I appreciate when better players will hit with me, so I won't avoid all opportunities to hit with worse players if they make a serious effort.

NoNameZ
01-22-2009, 10:04 PM
That's why I always start out hitting left handed.

wow! you can play with both hands?!? cool...any pointers?

anyways back on topic...i've been lucky enough to only have been approached by not so great players a few times, and it wasn't unbearable so we had a good time.

NoNameZ
01-22-2009, 10:07 PM
I appreciate when better players will hit with me, so I won't avoid all opportunities to hit with worse players if they make a serious effort.

I understand what you mean. When i hit with my friends, most as good or better than me, I'd prefer they put in effort rather than just take it a little too relaxed.