PDA

View Full Version : Prince Prism (any gauge)

azn_lefty_roddick_jr
01-21-2009, 06:51 PM
Can anybody help me locate a set (or more) of these strings? Popped a set that came stock on a Prince Spectrum Comp 90 today... =(

... Never thought I'd break strings that were sitting in a frame for twenty-three years... =(((

Many thanks for any help!

dancraig
01-21-2009, 08:36 PM
I don't think they sell Prince Prism now. Here is a close copy:http://www.klipperusa.com/products/gripstringdetail.php?catnum=S250

azn_lefty_roddick_jr
01-22-2009, 03:49 AM
Thanks so much! Was really looking for any rainbow-colored string, and these fit the bill. Thank you! =D

StevenLaurence
01-22-2009, 06:21 AM
Babolat has a rainbow FluoroCarbon that plays much better than Prince. German Gut also has some!

dancraig
01-22-2009, 09:52 PM
Thanks so much! Was really looking for any rainbow-colored string, and these fit the bill. Thank you! =D

Glad to help.

!Tym
01-22-2009, 10:21 PM
I have a lot of experience with the Prince Prism 17g, which I once stocked up on when ***** Tennis used to have it on clearance for like $1. It's just Prince Synthetic Gut Original in a rainbow color. It plays actually pretty darn good. Clean ball feel, not too powerful, good control, good spin, smooth, predictable, comfortable feel.

That said, the Velociti Synthetic Gut rainbow is a better string. I think the rainbow pallete, the hue at least, is slightly more attractive; but more importantly (after all, in the end, rainbow is still rainbow...i.e. a lot of colors), it also plays better. The Prism plays solid...but basic. It's a very bland string, non-offensive in every way. The Velociti has noticeably more pop, is noticeably crisper, livelier, and "fresher" feeling for lack of a better word. It's like a souped up nitro version of Prince Prism. Yes, it's still a basic synthetic gut, but I'll be darned if it wasn't a really great performing, RESPONSIVE one...for a basic synthetic gut that is, of course. After all, that IS still what it is. A basic synthetic gut.

The Klip rainbow reel is attractive because it comes in real form, but that's it. My problem with the Klipper colored string offerings is that they only come in 15L. A guage so ridiculously fat that almost no serious player would want to play with it.

I personally love stringing from a reel so much more than from packs, and since all anyone uses these days is basically poly hybrids, this is ten times more paramount these days. Reels simply make stringing up hybrids much more convenient.

Klipper to my mind could really fill a niche that doesn't exist in the market by simply churning out their 15L colored synthetics in 16 or 17g reel form.

"Fashion" string jobs have become SO much more common these days with all these flashy looking poly strings and paint jobs. It's almost like who ISN'T playing with some splash in their rackets these days?

Having the option to tailor color coordinate the crosses in today's high fashion rackets and polys would be a huge boon in my opinion. But again, just my opinion.

Addendum: put it this way. Say you wanted to use a really awesome poly string like Spiky Shark or Silverstring. What to do, what to do, if you really loved the performance of these strings, but also really yearned for one of the fashionista colored polys? Well, if Klipper offered their green, rainbow, pink, red, and orange synthetic gut reels in normal 16 or 17 guages, you'd have choices galor for not a lot of dough. The whole world would be a better place, and break out into love and laughter.