PDA

View Full Version : Hitting partners...

brosamj
01-22-2009, 01:33 PM
Obviously, we would all like to play someone as good as we are or better. With that said, if you are a good 4.5 player and there is a solid 3.5 player that wants to hit with you (this is a guy that you would beat 2 and 2...do you go and hit with him? If so, do you believe that you can improve your game with hitting with someone that is not as good as you.

LeeD
01-22-2009, 01:46 PM
Better him than no one.
Better him than the wall.
So don't you have a cell phone? Call someone.
I can beat the players worse than me, I just can't beat the players who are better than me.

lawlaw
01-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Hit with them, try to play with them and learn from it. When you are forced to play your best tennis and you still lose, this is the best way to see what you need to improve on.

Hence why they all "love" playing Roger. Roddick excluded. ;)

Lotto
01-22-2009, 02:19 PM
Hit with them, try to play with them and learn from it. When you are forced to play your best tennis and you still lose, this is the best way to see what you need to improve on.

Hence why they all "love" playing Roger. Roddick excluded. ;)

I think he's talking about you playing with the lower ranked players, not you playing a better one. Maybe he was saying both.

I love playing tennis no matter what standard. I'm 16 so I have 2 more years (2009, 2010) left in the juniors and it's always good fun hitting with the younger juniors coming up and helping to bring them along.

Element54
01-22-2009, 02:38 PM
I don't mind have a hitting session with any skill level as long as they can cleanly hit the ball

lawlaw
01-22-2009, 02:54 PM
I think he's talking about you playing with the lower ranked players, not you playing a better one. Maybe he was saying both.

I love playing tennis no matter what standard. I'm 16 so I have 2 more years (2009, 2010) left in the juniors and it's always good fun hitting with the younger juniors coming up and helping to bring them along.

Sorry, I just re-read that.

Let's try again. :) If the guy can hit a decent ball, then use it to work on something small for yourself and give the other player a chance to play with someone of a higher level. The better he gets, the better hitting partner you will eventually have.

pushing_wins
01-22-2009, 02:56 PM
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=2leQK1VZSK8&feature=channel_page

mikeler
01-22-2009, 03:21 PM
I'm a 5.0 snob and I admit it. Fortunately I have a big pool of players at my level to choose from. I don't like to play anybody who can't get a set off me eventually. If I'm constantly winning 6-2, 6-2 against somebody, that is just not enough of a challenge for me to keep playing that person. Since my time is limited, I prefer to compete against players right at my level or a little bit better.

LeeD
01-22-2009, 05:36 PM
Yeah, unfortunately, I'm with you on that one....
Sure, it'd be nice to help the beginners along.
Sure, it'd be nice to hit with the older generation.
Nah, it's way more fun to hit hard with your peers and above.:twisted:
And tennis is supposed to be fun, isn't it?

TonyB
01-22-2009, 05:54 PM
I think everyone wants to play against opponents that are better than them. There are several reasons for this:

1) Usually, you improve faster by playing better competition.

2) Knowing that you're the underdog can reduce the pressure of winning, so you play better.

3) If you lose, well, you knew the other guy was better anyway.

4) If you win, you must be getting better than you thought.

5) Even though you want to win, you would rather win through good play rather than your lesser opponent making errors every other shot. A higher-ranked opponent virtually guarantees that you won't be getting as many free points as you're giving to your opponent.

Anyways, I try my best to help the lower-ranked players get better. I play with them as much as I can. The way I figure it, if they can get up to my level, then I will have more competition and I will eventually get better.

Besides, beating someone 2 and 2 isn't absolute domination. You should keep striving for 0 and 0. If you're giving up 2 games per set, then you're obviously better than the other guy, but maybe not by as much as you should be. Playing against weaker opponents still gives you the chance to work on weaker areas of your game without risking a lost match.

NotAtTheNet
01-22-2009, 06:16 PM
Listen, theres nothing wrong with playing with lower skilled players. I'm hitting around 3.5, and I can actually hang with the 4.5's in a rally, I just don't place the ball as well as they do. With that said, I'm always trying to get my butt kicked by guys better than me bc its one of the best ways to improve. Pretty much the only reason I get call backs to play is when my 4.5/5.0 friends lose a tough match and need a confidence boost. Thats cool with me, If i can steal a game or 2 in a set, I'm more than stoked. I think it works well for both parties involved so give us sub 4.5ers a chance.

dennis10is
01-22-2009, 06:57 PM
I treat other players based on how they treat other players. That's my Golden Rule.

Do onto to others as they do onto others.

I do admit that I'm a friendly, sociable, socialized sociopath. There's a little bit of Dexter in me.

hellonewbie
01-22-2009, 07:00 PM
Yes, as long as your partner has same objective as you and willing to work on the same drills as you, I see no problem there.

LuckyR
01-22-2009, 08:41 PM
Obviously, we would all like to play someone as good as we are or better. With that said, if you are a good 4.5 player and there is a solid 3.5 player that wants to hit with you (this is a guy that you would beat 2 and 2...do you go and hit with him? If so, do you believe that you can improve your game with hitting with someone that is not as good as you.

This is an odd story. It would be extremely unusual, in my experience for a match between two players that are a full point different, to be anything other than 6-0, 6-0 (or perhaps 6-0, 6-1 if the better player gave up a game just to be nice).

Regardless of levels, losing 2 games a set to someone is not a difference where the better player would have nothing to gain from playing the lesser player.

lawlitssoo1n
01-22-2009, 08:49 PM
i really don't mind. when i play with players that are weaker than i practice shots i would not do in against a better player. OH and it also brings up confidence:D

Solat
01-22-2009, 11:39 PM
i say go for it, test out your ability to win with s&v or with only rallying off the FH and attacking with your BH etc. Maybe draw a chalk circle on the court somewhere and try to hit that spot as often as possible under different match conditions. There are plenty of ways to work on your game so long as your op can keep the rally going

the other thing is to then handicap yourself to start at 0 - 15 every game and if that takes you to a 4/4 win then all the more interesting for you both

Element54
01-23-2009, 05:31 AM
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=2leQK1VZSK8&feature=channel_page

Who needs partners when you have a Wall. It's our best friend, and always returns the ball.

jrod
01-23-2009, 05:57 AM
I think if you have the time, you can make a session with a lower skilled player quite productive for yourself. I've spoken to the pro's in my area about this because I've spent a lot of my time hitting with my son over the past 3 years. He's now 14 years old and will probably start beating me on a regular basis later this year.

The pro's tend to focus on accuracy when playing with a lower skilled player. I know one pro who focuses on this along with maintaining fluidity of stroke and he claims it has really helped him bring his game up (5.5 player).

mikeler
01-23-2009, 06:18 AM
My son is 10 days old. I have a little time before he starts beating me. :)

lawlaw
01-23-2009, 06:32 AM
10 days old? Congratulations! Instead of bedtime stories, whisper effective match tactics into his ear and leave Federer highlight tapes playing nearby :D

mikeler
01-23-2009, 06:48 AM
I got him watching the Australian Open all night long!