PDA

View Full Version : Fun matches

Lotto
01-22-2009, 02:00 PM
Was just playing a fun little club competition thing there we call "partnerless doubles". What happens is that every week you switch partners and play another pair for four weeks and then I presume to top 4 players with most points (3-0 for win in 2, 2-1 for win in 3 etc. etc.) play a final out.
Anyway, was playing a match tonight, wasn't playing bad, wasn't playing good either, was playing ok. We lost the match 7-6 3-6, 6-7 but it was good because for one of the first times ever I enjoyed the game. The last good few matches I've played I've been pretty flat physically and not pumped up but tonight I was really pumped, shouting "Come on" and fist pumping a good bit.
The one thing that ****ed me off though was luck seemed to be against us. They got all of the net chords all the jammy mishits and everything like that while we got zilch. I was also frustrated when in the final set I lost serve twice after being up 40-15 and at 5-5 we were up 40-0 I hit a second serve, went for a big inside in forehand, my opponent managed to block it back deep, it was a tough low volley and I went for a drive backhand down the line again and it hit the tape and bounced my side, stupid shot selection. Next point I hit a first serve had one crosscourt rally and when I got a low short ball I stupidly decided to go down the line with a reverse forehand and it didn't clear the net, I knew before I hit it not to do it because the other guy was right at the net so it was never going over. Again, poor shot selection. And then at 40-30 2nd serve and I couldn't decide whether down the line or crosscourt with a drive backhand, ended up messing it up and mishitting it wide crosscourt. It was just pathetic.

That's a problem I seem to have in singles but especially in doubles is shot selection and making my mind up, so basically shot selection.

Also, I should have been serving and volleying but I wasn't in the mood and my first volleys are crap.

The point of this thread really is to share fun matches, tight battles and those matches where you had it in your hands and you threw it away because of stupid things.

Any tips btw on shot selection? I think the reason is my ego gets in the way a bit and I sometimes go for the fancy shot.

LeeD
01-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Stupid shots ???
Geez, after 35 + years of tennis, I make stupid shots all the time.
Tennis is supposed to be fun. Fun is hitting whenever, whereever, however you want.
If you want tennis to be just about winning, go for it.
For me, I like to tell my opponent I"m first serving to his forehand, and do exactly that.
Obviously, winning tennis and fun tennis are not the same.

Lotto
01-22-2009, 02:12 PM
Stupid shots ???
Geez, after 35 + years of tennis, I make stupid shots all the time.
Tennis is supposed to be fun. Fun is hitting whenever, whereever, however you want.
If you want tennis to be just about winning, go for it.
For me, I like to tell my opponent I"m first serving to his forehand, and do exactly that.
Obviously, winning tennis and fun tennis are not the same.

35+ YEARS?! :o

I've only been playing 9 years!! I'm too young to have played more then that really, I started at 7, now 16.

LeeD
01-22-2009, 04:07 PM
I'm sure there's someone who's been playing tennis since the KoreanWar.
Actually, one guy at our courts was playing since WW11. He still has a good volley and decent forehand, but obviously, gets caught out of position quite often.

user92626
01-22-2009, 04:18 PM
Guys,

What is the starting point to begin counting the years?

I started to play with the focus on form and strategies just 2 years ago, but before that I had 3 years horsing around the court, ie dink the ball over for fun and exercise....Well, I still dink the ball over occasionally, but it feels more like tennis now LOL.

LeeD
01-22-2009, 04:21 PM
Counting the years....
Since it's really not relevant for much, you can start anywhere you want.
Me, I first ever held a tennis racket in 1974.
In 1978, I went 4 rounds in the pro qualifier at the TransAmerica SanFrancisco Tournament.
I quit tennis cold turkey early '79 for 15 years.