PDA

View Full Version : Kick serve great with old balls... crap with new balls...

Nanshiki
01-22-2009, 06:24 PM
Anyone know how to fix this? Or should I just practice with just new balls?

Usually I serve better with new balls, but today I was serving rather poorly, especially on kick serve. Now, with new balls (Albeit, Penn Tributes), the topspin/kick serves were going long consistently instead of staying in the box like they were when I was using old balls (lighter, softer = more spin apparently).

drakulie
01-22-2009, 06:28 PM
Of course newer tennis balls are going to have more zip, which is why they are flying long on you.

Didn't you ever notice this when you play a match??? With new balls?? I am assuming when you play matches you use new tennis balls??

Anyway, you need to practice with newer tennis balls form time to time.

Good luck with that.

LeeD
01-22-2009, 06:29 PM
Of course, you practice with whatever balls you can scrounge up.
But it doesn't tell you anything about what happens with a new can, a new opposition, a new court.
Since you can't control the last two, consider 3 bucks a good investment to see how your serve really reacts.
Maybe I"m older, more rich, whatever, but I don't take any stake in serving with old balls. Use them for swing and timing practice, but it only counts with decent balls, decent opponent, and decent court conditions.

hellonewbie
01-22-2009, 07:55 PM
You should practice with whatever balls you're going to compete with so you know exactly what to expect. Since usually matches are not played with old balls you might be surprised at match time if you always practice with old balls :-)

Nanshiki
01-22-2009, 08:23 PM
I know, I need to buy a case... maybe some K3 Golds or something.

But it just feels like such a waste to have 6-8 brand new balls every couple of days, or at most two weeks at a time... the cost adds up quick.

Just like how you tend to go through a lot more overgrips when you buy a 30 pack...hehe

If anything, the old balls were actually faster, but had better spin and slowed down more quickly due being lighter...

LuckyR
01-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Anyone know how to fix this? Or should I just practice with just new balls?

Usually I serve better with new balls, but today I was serving rather poorly, especially on kick serve. Now, with new balls (Albeit, Penn Tributes), the topspin/kick serves were going long consistently instead of staying in the box like they were when I was using old balls (lighter, softer = more spin apparently).

Learning spin serves, especially kick serves is easier with dead balls as the ball stays on the stringbed longer and you can impart more spin. However, if you already know how to hit the serve then practicing with dead balls will give you an unrealistic expectation of how much action you will put on the ball in a matchplay situation.

iamke55
01-22-2009, 10:09 PM
You should practice with whatever balls you're going to compete with so you know exactly what to expect. Since usually matches are not played with old balls you might be surprised at match time if you always practice with old balls :-)

Maybe this is why many people say they play horribly in match play but are okay in practice?

hellonewbie
01-22-2009, 10:54 PM
Maybe this is why many people say they play horribly in match play but are okay in practice?

Exactly. Balls is an expense just like strings and grips, unfortunately balls don't last very long.

sukivan
01-22-2009, 10:58 PM

if only it were that simple ;)

Nanshiki
01-23-2009, 12:25 PM
That's usually a matter of a lack of matchplay experience, which I admit is another one of my problems.

Had we just played with the same, old balls, I would have had a lot more confidence on second serve, of course.

Nanshiki
01-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Well I ordered 12 cans of K3 Gold's, so that should be good for a while...

sonicboi21
01-24-2009, 03:31 PM
old balls have the fuzz worn off and its felt is drastically thinner than a new ball. the new ball has thicker felt so it wont cut through the air as much as an old ball

Nanshiki
01-25-2009, 04:00 PM
I just realized that I was using the wrong technique with the new balls because I didn't need to use the correct one:

essentially, once I remembered that you have to go up AND over the ball to get the proper spin with new balls for the second serve, it started working again.

OTOH, I just put some blue gear on my mains, so that might have something to do with it...lol

jasoncho92
01-25-2009, 04:14 PM
Could it be that the ball stays on the racket longer if its old? Im really unsure of physics for tennis so someone with any knowledge on it, please pitch in.