PDA

View Full Version : Friend who sucks at tennis.

oneguy21
01-22-2009, 06:52 PM
I have a friend who hits with me regularly and it frustrates me how he overestimates his abilities. He is a pretty weak player. He has terrible footwork, no depth on shots, and no leg drive on any of his shots. However when I asked him to self rate himself he said he was a 5.5. He thinks he could beat me easily which isn't true at all and he is just too arrogant about his pathetic game. How can I convince him how terrible his game really is?

LeeD
01-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Tell him what you think is your level and beat the pants off him.
I never back off or cater down for any of my friends. If they are true friends, they respect you for always telling it like it is and playing straight.
That's the best way for both of you to get better.

The_Steak
01-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Play and beat him, obviously.

MTXR
01-22-2009, 06:56 PM
I have a friend like that. i double bagel him, he then goes on to blame it on the food he ate that day.

It never ends with people like that. All you can do is bagel them over and over.

He recently challenged me to another match saying he could kick my ***... here comes another double bagel....

ogruskie
01-22-2009, 07:00 PM
This reminds me of one poster on this forum who's name I'm not going to mention. I've watched a video of him playing. He's a bit inconsistent and doesn't hit too hard. Yet here on the forums he claims to hit with power and heavy topspin. I just think its kinda funny.

autumn_leaf
01-22-2009, 07:54 PM
get a video of him.

i do remember another thread about a friend who kept joining Open Tournaments when he should've been joining 3.0s or 3.5s and then get their *** whooped. and his friend got it all on tape. lol. never did finish reading that thread.

but yea, watching yourself on video is a real eye opener, unless he thinks being on video drops 3.0+ rating lol.

sukivan
01-22-2009, 08:04 PM
we all know someone like this. This clown I know just entered the Open division of a local tournament here - got his *** handed to him 6-0 6-0 by a 14 or 15 year old and I doubt if he won more than 1 or 2 points per game (and even those would be UF's from his opponent).

He is about a 3.0 level player with a somewhat decent forehand if you feed nice medium pace with standard topspin directly to him. Everything else - his backhand, his movement, ability to handle (or dish out) pace, serve, tactics, anticipation, etc - is a mess. He gets his racquet strung with ALU and 17g promix and whined (read: demanded a free restringing) when he got 16g instead.

RoddickAce
01-22-2009, 08:09 PM
I have a friend like that. i double bagel him, he then goes on to blame it on the food he ate that day.

When that happens tell him "All you ate today were two bagels".

Dan007
01-22-2009, 08:20 PM
beat him 6-0 6-0

Tennisguy777
01-22-2009, 08:24 PM
After you bagel him tell him "to get big and until he does so not to ask you to play" Also after you desrtoy him and he starts making excuses you do the same, tell him you were taking it easy on him. Tell him you were making too many errors yourself etc. that way he feels like crap.

LuckyR
01-22-2009, 09:36 PM
I have a friend who hits with me regularly and it frustrates me how he overestimates his abilities. He is a pretty weak player. He has terrible footwork, no depth on shots, and no leg drive on any of his shots. However when I asked him to self rate himself he said he was a 5.5. He thinks he could beat me easily which isn't true at all and he is just too arrogant about his pathetic game. How can I convince him how terrible his game really is?

I think you are approaching the guy all wrong. For someone to have such a ridiculous outward presentation of himself in an activity where it is so easy to prove that he is completely wrong (by playing a match), means he must be so screwed up on some whole other level, that he deserves your pity more than your ridicule.

NoNameZ
01-22-2009, 09:59 PM

It never ends with people like that. All you can do is bagel them over and over.

He recently challenged me to another match saying he could kick my ***... here comes another double bagel....

LOL, yea i have one like that too... blamed it on not getting used to his new tension...which he had on his racket for like 2 weeks....

hellonewbie
01-22-2009, 10:00 PM
Maybe your friend is joking around? Beat him badly and tell him you're 7.0 :-)

eteaGuy
01-22-2009, 10:04 PM
I think you are approaching the guy all wrong. For someone to have such a ridiculous outward presentation of himself in an activity where it is so easy to prove that he is completely wrong (by playing a match), means he must be so screwed up on some whole other level, that he deserves your pity more than your ridicule.

This is a very mature response. I know sometimes friends like this can be a little bit annoying especially when they continually rub it in about how good they are, but dont bother or waste your time convincing him otherwise. Just keep playing matches and let the results show. Sooner or later he'll come around and realize his level and run out of excuses.

superlobber
01-23-2009, 12:18 AM
Maybe you need to stop telling him that you are 7.0 and he will stop thinking that he is 5.5. I have a friend who think that he is 6.0 because I told him that I am 7.0 and I do is lob all day long. Including my serve. I even told him that I have won multiple tournament with my lob and that is how I got my nickname "SUPERLOBBER". :-P

blakesq
01-23-2009, 06:46 AM
Uh...why don't you just play him and beat him, instead of complaining on this board about him?

lawlaw
01-23-2009, 07:05 AM
Borrow his racquet and beat him 0 & 0! I can't think of anything worse than getting whipped with your own frame.

eagle
01-23-2009, 07:14 AM
American Idol wannabes on the court. :)

r,
eagle

Frankauc
01-23-2009, 08:23 AM
bagel him with your non dominant hand,

ssjkyle31
01-23-2009, 11:45 PM
http://www.photostringer.com/images/061109-035a.jpg
Just beat him with this racket.

Steady Eddy
01-24-2009, 07:50 AM
He's gotta know he's not a 5.5. Doesn't the description say that a 5.5 always wins social matches and would reach the quarters or semi-s of the highlest local level tournaments? Does he do that? Sounds like he doesn't even enter tournaments. No one becomes a 5.5 by just rallying with a friend on occasional weekends. I agree with LuckyR, this guys got some deeper problem, and I just might leave it alone.

mawashi
01-24-2009, 08:03 AM

For Pete's sake if he's like that with Tennis, he's likely to have the same issues in other areas as well. Stop wasting time with this loser and move on.

There's tons of other better players and friends to find.

mawashi

SourStraws
01-24-2009, 08:05 AM
I dont think it's a problem with his psyche..... He's just one of those people.... All I can do is suggest that you take a video of him and tell him to compare it with that of a 5.5 or just have a regular 3.5 player beat him.... If he doesnt get the message by then.... Maybe he's just b.s.ing with himself

Peace

Pushmaster
01-24-2009, 11:14 AM

Would probably say he just had an off day and only played 10% of his ability (like Serena).

babolatchaznike
01-25-2009, 03:21 PM
play and beat him

futuratennis
01-25-2009, 06:22 PM

ahha.. what i was gonna say..

Noaler
01-25-2009, 06:51 PM
Who cares......................u get practice don't u?

Bottle Rocket
01-25-2009, 06:53 PM
we all know someone like this. This clown I know just entered the Open division of a local tournament here - got his *** handed to him 6-0 6-0 by a 14 or 15 year old and I doubt if he won more than 1 or 2 points per game (and even those would be UF's from his opponent).

There is a guy who plays here in Kansas City who seems to play 4.5 most of the time, but I think I have also seen him in the open draw a few times. He has gotten double bageled in every match that I have ever seen him play. It is possible he has even gotten double bagled playing 3.5 before when he was seeded (from getting random bye's of course, never winning anything). The other posters here from KC probably know who I am talking about.

The most incredible thing is that the guy sometimes has family and friends watching him. I just don't get it.

I also play with a lot of guys that think they are better than they really are, guys who believe that getting beaten 6-0 or 6-1 in their heads is a competitive set and means one shot here or there would have changed the outcome. Ingorance is bliss, I guess, and in some ways I am jealous. I wish I could feel as good about a terrible loss as they do.

Steady Eddy
01-25-2009, 08:17 PM
I also play with a lot of guys that think they are better than they really are, guys who believe that getting beaten 6-0 or 6-1 in their heads is a competitive set and means one shot here or there would have changed the outcome. Ingorance is bliss, I guess, and in some ways I am jealous. I wish I could feel as good about a terrible loss as they do.One of the local community college tennis teams is pretty good, and sometimes they play teams from up north who are much weaker. Once there was a paticular mis-match in doubles, after the first set the home team was kind, so the final score was 6-0, 6-2. Later, I overheard one of the losing players explain to his team-mate. "That match was really close. Just a couple of shots away from being a win for us." :shock::confused:

Some people have a great capacity for self-deception.

mixertefera
01-27-2009, 02:09 PM
how good is he actually?
and is it not said that 5.5 even a like a 4.5 can place there sever with spin and/or pace with constancy. so just ask him to call where and with what kind of spin