PDA

View Full Version : Hand/Wrist pain

david aames
02-21-2004, 07:06 PM
I can feel a mild pain at the top of my hand/wrist when I close my fist. Overall I would say I don't have any strengh with my hitting hand.

It's been about 2 weeks and I usually can get over it while playing using Flexall. I'm 30, playing about 3 hours of tennis a week.

I've been taking IB for 2 weeks now and used ice with no dramatic change. Any idea?

Thank you for your input...

polakosaur
02-22-2004, 12:28 PM
thats bad, i suggest trying glucosamine condrointin and msm supplements and you should definately see a doctor

polakosaur
02-22-2004, 12:34 PM
also i don't suggest using any heat lotions or mineral ice they just increase inflamation in the area and will actually work against you, the heat creams are for muscles while you have most likely a tendon, ligament, or bone problem.

Verbal_Kint
02-22-2004, 12:42 PM
David, sorry to hear about your condition, but great nickname :)

LE Rules...

Marnix

James Brown
02-22-2004, 02:32 PM
ive got the same problem. mine goes through the wrist though..go to your doctor man, seriously. mine made me do a special kind of blood test (along with a regular one) (EXPENSIVE tho...goddamn ,thank the lord for canadian health care :>), definetly consult the doctor.

david aames
02-22-2004, 03:00 PM
David, sorry to hear about your condition, but great nickname :)

LE Rules...

Marnix

LE being?

david aames
02-22-2004, 03:04 PM
ive got the same problem. mine goes through the wrist though..go to your doctor man, seriously. mine made me do a special kind of blood test (along with a regular one) (EXPENSIVE tho...goddamn ,thank the lord for canadian health care :>), definetly consult the doctor.

Does it bother you enough to stop you from playing? I don't feel pain after 5 minutes or so of play, it's just been teasing me in between 2 sessions...

david aames
02-22-2004, 03:06 PM
thats bad, i suggest trying glucosamine condrointin and msm supplements and you should definately see a doctor

Thanks for the recommendation. Is that over the counter drugs?

James Brown
02-22-2004, 03:31 PM
i have it in my non dominant hand, it's a constant pain for me..its always there but unless i do strenuous activity it doesnt hurt. I cant swing with my left hand at all and any impact resulting from a swing kills...

David I.
02-23-2004, 08:52 PM
I've suggested this to others and they think it's a joke but it worked for me. Try cutting some wood with a Sawzall. I had wrist pain for 2 months and on a day when turning on a faucet was very painful I was using a Sawzall and it gave me a form of vibration therapy that caused the pain to go away that same day and it never returned.

polakosaur
02-25-2004, 09:55 AM
those supplements are over the counter

dennis1188
02-27-2004, 09:41 PM
After yr hand gets better ask yr Doctor or Hand therapist about exercises with a BTE (Baltimore Therapy Machine) machine. Usually medical insurance will this cover treatment. During my one month treatment w/ BTE exercises, my wrist size got larger than from playing tennis 10 hrs a week .

Ben42
03-01-2004, 02:01 PM
I had wrist pain like that that lasted for about a year. I had it x-rayed and nothing was structurally wrong. Pain along the pinky side.

After a while I started doing some exercises that I saw in Tennis Magazine with a 2lb dumbell. Wrist curls both ways and a pronation and flex (kind of curls to the side) holding the end of the dumbell.

I started slowly, about 5-7 reps each, and built up slowly to 30 or so reps each.

I also changed racquets from a Volkl Tour 8 (long and stiff) to a PK 5g.

I don't know which did it, but I've been wrist pain free for a few months now.

Do see a doctor and get an x-ray though. It might be structural. Mine was not.

andreh
03-02-2004, 12:23 PM
I've had the exact same condition. Nothing helped at first but then I removed the lead tape and it went away. The racquet was too heavy. I eventually put back the tape, but nothing near 12 o'clock to keep down the swing weight. I'm ok so far.

Could it be the same for you? Racquet too heavy?

/A

dufferok
03-31-2004, 04:28 AM
I have been having the same wrist problems. Pain near the upper/outer wrist area. The pain is always there, but definately is worse when the impact of the ball to racket is felt. I can usually just play through the pain, but lately I've had to actually stop playing due to the pain.

I'm currently taking the supplements Glucosamine Condrointin and MSM hoping that will help out. (As mentioned by an earlier post)

My racket weighs 11.6 oz strung, 5 pts head light, 318 swing weight, stiffness 65. Does anyone know if these specs might be causing the wrist pain?

Does anyone have a link to any type of wrist exercises?

Thanks!

equinox
07-17-2009, 09:40 AM
I can feel a mild pain at the top of my hand/wrist when I close my fist. Overall I would say I don't have any strengh with my hitting hand.

It's been about 2 weeks and I usually can get over it while playing using Flexall. I'm 30, playing about 3 hours of tennis a week.

I've been taking IB for 2 weeks now and used ice with no dramatic change. Any idea?

Damn, i'm having similar problems of late. Giving it rest. Hope i'm back in 2/3 weeks. good luck. :|

RoddickRook
07-20-2009, 09:19 PM

Quit taking the IB and ice. Both are bad. Likely its related to ligaments in the wrist...I suggest trying some heat. Take MSM, Chondroiten, and Glucosamine supplements as well. Heat as much as you can.

If it doesn't yet go away, it could be a more serious problem, and you might want to try prolotherapy.

charliefedererer
07-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Bump.
This is one of about ten 2004 threads that equinox resurrected on 7/17/09.
So feel free to comment, but the OP probably is never going to see your response to a problem that hopefully was resolved five years ago.

jwbarrientos
07-27-2009, 07:19 PM
I started to have the same pain (up + out) Ibuprofeno used to help, my racket is around 318 grs stiff 71 and 5 HL.

I am visiting the doc this week in order to get test and x-rays.

Where could I find those exercises you mentioned?