PDA

View Full Version : Best string for semi/full western

Aceman
01-23-2009, 01:09 AM
Hi friend I have a problem,i buyed 2 head microgel extreme pro and I'm very happy with this racquets.I use use a semi/full western grip and I want maximize my topspin power (beacuse I use much topspin).
So what string (and gauge) do you suggest to me for improve my topspin?

goosala
01-23-2009, 05:33 AM
The Extreme Pro is a fairly stiff frame so you probably don't want a full polyester string job. Try a hybrid of polyester and synthetic gut.

Aceman
01-23-2009, 06:48 AM
I've no arm problems,actually i'm playing with polyfibre hightech 1.10 without any problem.I'm only searching a string that impreve my spin and power

GPB
01-23-2009, 07:19 AM
What is your definition of power? Poly will give you sick spin and let you swing away, but natural gut or a multi will transfer more energy to the ball, therefore being more "powerful".

Also, how do you expect us to recommend you a string when we don't know your budget?

TennezSport
01-23-2009, 07:44 AM
Try Kirschbaum's Pro-line II or Spiky Shark 1.25 string. They are the new co-poly PTFE string that is much softer than the current poly but still gives you great power, control, spin and FEEL (depending on how tight you string it). They are not hard on the arm and they have great tension control, unlike the big boys.

There is also a new string from Prince called Twisted that has the same good properties. Good luck in your search.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

Aceman
01-23-2009, 09:40 AM
What is your definition of power? Poly will give you sick spin and let you swing away, but natural gut or a multi will transfer more energy to the ball, therefore being more "powerful".

Also, how do you expect us to recommend you a string when we don't know your budget?

10 euro,not more

natural gut or multi are elastic string,I prefer mono for the spin.I only need a motionless mono excellent in topspin

howy
01-23-2009, 10:20 AM
do you suggest to me for improve my topspin?

Sorry buddy, but the only way to improve your topsin is to improve your technique.

Aceman
01-23-2009, 10:32 AM
There isn't a tecnique problem,if you are a topspin player you can't say that all strings are equal eacause there some good for topspin player and some worst.I actually use the polyfibre high-tech,it's a good string for my topspin but I can't believe that it's the best spin string in the world I know

Kevo
01-23-2009, 11:16 AM
The best spin string in the world is the one that you believe will give you the most spin.

Let me ask you a question. Can you hit different amounts of spin with your current string?

I'll assume the answer is yes.

Now, how much of a difference in spin can you get between the least spin and the most spin? 2x? 5x? 10X?

What makes the amount of spin change, and why can you vary it so much?

How much difference do you expect a different string to make in the amount of spin you can apply to the ball? 2x? 5x? 10x?

How do you think a different string will give you more spin?

SOY78
01-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Try Pro Supex Blue Gear from what I've heard on the forums the spin of this string is insane.

Aceman
01-23-2009, 11:47 AM
The best spin string in the world is the one that you believe will give you the most spin.

Let me ask you a question. Can you hit different amounts of spin with your current string?

I'll assume the answer is yes.

Now, how much of a difference in spin can you get between the least spin and the most spin? 2x? 5x? 10X?

What makes the amount of spin change, and why can you vary it so much?

How much difference do you expect a different string to make in the amount of spin you can apply to the ball? 2x? 5x? 10x?

How do you think a different string will give you more spin?

I make one example to make me understand:
Suppose that you are topspin players that use heavy topspin;so you string in your racquet Prince tournament nylon but you are unhappy beacuse that string doesn't exalt your qualities (topspin) and so you decide to use another string (for example pro hurricane tour).
I wanna say that no all string has same characteristics,I like to play with topspin and I want the better string that maximize this shot (there are some players that want the best comfort and they buy f.e. x-one biphase,there are players that want high power and they an elastic string etc)

I think that more is the rotation (+power +control) in the ball,more difficoult for my adversary is take the ball,it's only a sensation (I can wrong but I think it so)

am22fcw
01-23-2009, 03:45 PM
try out a textured string

Blue Gear
Gamma Ruff- i dont prefer this string but it is textured
Spikey Shark
Topspin Cyberflash- its not textured but i have some and havent tried it out yet although its supposed to put great spin on the ball
MSV focus hex- havent tried it but supposed to get good spin.

Cey
01-23-2009, 06:47 PM
Your first choice should be blue gear. I am currently using it and spin is good. It's good but not as good as it was worked up to be by everyone on this board. I probably won't give you extra power but you can swing harder because it will drop in.

Kevo
01-24-2009, 11:44 AM
I make one example to make me understand:
Suppose that you are topspin players that use heavy topspin;so you string in your racquet Prince tournament nylon but you are unhappy beacuse that string doesn't exalt your qualities (topspin) and so you decide to use another string (for example pro hurricane tour).
I wanna say that no all string has same characteristics,I like to play with topspin and I want the better string that maximize this shot (there are some players that want the best comfort and they buy f.e. x-one biphase,there are players that want high power and they an elastic string etc)

I think that more is the rotation (+power +control) in the ball,more difficoult for my adversary is take the ball,it's only a sensation (I can wrong but I think it so)

I get why you want to hit with topspin. I love topspin. I get especially excited when I hit a shot that jumps over someone's racquet and hits 5 feet high on the back fence. However, what I'm trying to explain is that the string makes very little difference.

I can totally understand if you'd rather have a poly than synthetic gut. That makes a lot of sense because topspin decreases string life and on top of that, poly moves around less. But as for which string is better out of the 100 or more polys out there, I would say thinner is better than thicker since it's lighter in the frame and will reduce swing weight and drag. Other than that, use something that feels good to you when you hit the ball.

I can tell you my personal experience. This has held true for any frame I've played with. I recently bought a wooden racquet. I broke the 20 or more years old strings it had in it within an hour of hitting. I was having so much fun with it, I went and restrung it with the cheapest nylon string I had. Even with the small wood frame I was still getting excellent spin, and could still get the ball to bounce shoulder high off either side. It's all about the strokes folks.

tennisfreak15347
01-24-2009, 03:17 PM
I'm surprised no one recommended Tecnifibre Pro Redcode. Lots of spin potential in this string.

Aceman
01-25-2009, 04:33 AM
I get why you want to hit with topspin. I love topspin. I get especially excited when I hit a shot that jumps over someone's racquet and hits 5 feet high on the back fence. However, what I'm trying to explain is that the string makes very little difference.

I can totally understand if you'd rather have a poly than synthetic gut. That makes a lot of sense because topspin decreases string life and on top of that, poly moves around less. But as for which string is better out of the 100 or more polys out there, I would say thinner is better than thicker since it's lighter in the frame and will reduce swing weight and drag. Other than that, use something that feels good to you when you hit the ball.

I can tell you my personal experience. This has held true for any frame I've played with. I recently bought a wooden racquet. I broke the 20 or more years old strings it had in it within an hour of hitting. I was having so much fun with it, I went and restrung it with the cheapest nylon string I had. Even with the small wood frame I was still getting excellent spin, and could still get the ball to bounce shoulder high off either side. It's all about the strokes folks.

I think it so,in fact I like strings with gauge going from 1.10 to 1.25

Pro red code is very good string but according to me it haven't more power..

Blade0324
01-25-2009, 03:01 PM
I would suggest a WEstern or semi western type of string. That will match up and make the most or your grip. :)

Kevo
01-25-2009, 07:20 PM
I think it so,in fact I like strings with gauge going from 1.10 to 1.25

Have you tried Luxilon Ace. It's one of my favorites. It's not all that durable though. I love that it's quite thin, light, and has good feel.

Steve Huff
01-25-2009, 09:15 PM
Some that haven't been mentioned, but are made for spin are:

1) Signum Poly Pro Hextreme (comes in a few thicknesses)
2) Luxilon 5-Star (this is thick and stiff, so I'd string it down a few pounds. It also doesn't move)
3) Signum Poly Pro Speed Spin
4) IsoSpeed Pyramid -- #'s 3 and 4 are cut in the shape of a triangle, and when you string them, the sharp edge sticks out to really grab the ball
5) Luxilon ALU Rough -- I hate stringing it, but it does have lots of texture
6) Kirshbaum Spiky -- you can get it really thin too (1.10)
7) Pro Supex Blue Gear -- others mentioned this, and it's made for spin
8) Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour -- not the max spin, but still good.

Which gives the MOST spin? Probably Blue Gear, but those "gears" wear off fairly quickly. Poly Pro Speed Spin and Pyramid might keep their edges longer, but they move more than some of the others. They're cheaper though. Hextreme--I've heard nothing but good about it. Same with 5-Star. Both are a little pricier though.