PDA

View Full Version : First string break...

SchreckTennis
01-23-2009, 12:27 AM
Today, while I was stringing up my Head FXP Prestige Team, I had my first string breakage while stringing. I had just tied off the final main on one side and as I was pulling tension for final main on the opposite side, it snapped! And I was only stringing at 59 lbs! The surprising thing is that it was a poly mono-fil that broke. And before stringing I thuroughly checked the string for pinches, notches, cuts, scrapes, and bends- it had none. And the racquet's grommet was fine- brand new, had only strung it once previously.

It was part of a Mutual Power brand pre-hybrid pack with 21ft. poly mono-fil for mains and 20ft. syn gut for crosses called Power Match. Luckily it was a cheap set of string that I bought 5 sets of for only $2 each. Guess I'll have to wait until after my 3 day trip to string it up again...

/EndRant

Bud
01-23-2009, 03:01 AM
Today, while I was stringing up my Head FXP Prestige Team, I had my first string breakage while stringing. I had just tied off the final main on one side and as I was pulling tension for final main on the opposite side, it snapped! And I was only stringing at 59 lbs! The surprising thing is that it was a poly mono-fil that broke. And before stringing I thuroughly checked the string for pinches, notches, cuts, scrapes, and bends- it had none. And the racquet's grommet was fine- brand new, had only strung it once previously.

It was part of a Mutual Power brand pre-hybrid pack with 21ft. poly mono-fil for mains and 20ft. syn gut for crosses called Power Match. Luckily it was a cheap set of string that I bought 5 sets of for only $2 each. Guess I'll have to wait until after my 3 day trip to string it up again...

/EndRant

Pretty unusual for that to happen... especially with poly.

SOY78
01-23-2009, 09:04 AM
You get what you pay for

diredesire
01-23-2009, 09:14 AM
Do the mains end at the throat? It is possible that the grommet strip "pulled out" as you were tensioning. This is common with new grommet strips. As you tension your final main the next time you string, watch what happens with the last grommet. Chances are it pulled out and left you with a string exposed to the frame and sharp graphite.

HTH,
DD

howy
01-23-2009, 09:19 AM
Sometimes it happens.
Sad but true.

sruckauf
01-23-2009, 10:21 AM
Do the mains end at the throat? It is possible that the grommet strip "pulled out" as you were tensioning. This is common with new grommet strips. As you tension your final main the next time you string, watch what happens with the last grommet. Chances are it pulled out and left you with a string exposed to the frame and sharp graphite.

HTH,
DD

Exactly what I was thinking.

Congratulations anyway. I think it helps your skills as a stringer to go through a few unexpected disasters. Makes you more cognizant of what's going on.