PDA

View Full Version : Head Pro Tour 280/630 vs PSC 6.1

bumfluff
01-23-2009, 07:13 AM
I currently play with a single PSC 6.1, I am kind of developing a thing for discontinued rackets, so far only Wilsons though.

After a quick search I haven't really found anything very detailed on the specs of the PT280/630 can anybody post some.

What I like about my PSC6.1 is its manouverability, its pretty head light and I think the power is ok, I just have the problem that its stiffness requires me to string it quite low so I don't get the best control out of it. I understand that the PT280/630 is a more flexible frame. Can anybody tell me of any similarities between the two frames (if there are any) or the key differences.

jayserinos99
01-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Look in the PT280/630 thread, you'll find something there.

Anyway, I used the PSC6.1 for 7 years before arm problems made me give it up; I'm now with the PT630 and PC600. Besides the fact that both are 12+oz. head-light midplus frames with a graphite and aramid (wilson has kevlar, head has twaron) composition, not much else is the same with them. Different string pattern (16x18 v. 18x20, unless you're using a European or Tour version of the PSC6.1) and vastly different flex and balance are the two biggest things I can think of right now. The comfort of the PT630 for me was key; I can play without pain, especially with a natural gut hybrid strung low. There will be some adjustment period if you do switch to a PT280/630, people have commented that the PT280/630 wasn't very mobile at net (opinions vary, I didn't find this at all).

bumfluff
01-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Thanks, can you tell me a bit about the PC600 aswell? Thats another interesting frame which is completely different again if I am correct?

jayserinos99
01-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Yes, quite different from the PSC6.1. In many ways the PT280/630 is the logical extension of the PC600. To me, both feel great with the flex and comfort; the PC600 is more rapier like since it cuts through the air faster and is more mobile.

To really mess with your mind, I suggest doing research on the Head Pyramid Tour 630. It is really maneuverable due to the beam shape; it's sort of a blend of the PT630 (head size) and PC600 (maneuverability). Look up !Tym's posts on this great frame.

plasma
01-23-2009, 03:06 PM
THe PSC6.1 is high performance as well as feel. Head racks are all about sacrificing feel for performance. How can you comapre? Braided graphite,....c'mon...I have to weigh in for wislon for baseliners, even though head are good frames; the ptclub popularity is dangerously out of hand, what do you guys see in those blue things?
http://i41.tinypic.com/msn5sm.jpg

jayserinos99
01-23-2009, 04:59 PM
^ It's an acquired feel.

OnyxZ28
01-23-2009, 06:08 PM
plasma, I will gladly take yours off of your hands for 20 bucks. :oops:

plasma
01-23-2009, 07:10 PM
get yer greedy eyes off my two virgins, Onyx!
the way you guys go on about 280 630's i should be charging u 20 just to see pics!!!
http://i41.tinypic.com/dxbrzb.jpg

ps 85 china...perfection

Ross K
01-24-2009, 01:03 AM
Both great frames. Two of my all-time favorites ever as a matter of fact. Just a few thoughts here then...

PSC 6.1 has the rare distinction imo of being excellent equally from the b-line as well as for more of a net game, the touch stuff, etc. Very high-powered (flex rating 70-ish) and therefore somewhat stiff, but also has a lush, 'immense' feel too. Heavy to swing for some (12.06 g I think), but you're rewarded with a granite-like stability and big-time 'oomph' (you might want to try serving the flat bomb and then seeing the resulting carnage!) If there's a negative, for me it was a major one... it's harsh on the arm (and this is coming from someone who's very familiar with Babolats!)

PT 280/630 is probably more suited to a b-line game. The former (without the CAPS) is a tad stiffer. The latter (with the CAPS running all around) is more flexy. Very smooth and easy to play with generally imo. A lush and well renowned 'buttery' feel (especially the 630) as well as being highly solid and awesome in the power dept when you catch it right - and that's with a far lower stiffness RA than the PSC (I think it's 58 or so.) Whilst some ppl view it as just adequate re volleys, touch stuff and the like, many think it a great serve frame and quite fantastic on groundies... tons of control and that plush, going-through-gears, smooth feel/power.

R.

jayserinos99
01-24-2009, 01:04 AM
There's a reason why people still want the PT280, much like how people want the PS6.0 85/95 back, they're just great racquets. You do remember that Emilio Sanchez and Thomas Muster helped design the PT630 right?

By the way, thanks for the pictures but I wouldn't want to be charged for looking at it...since I have quite a few PT630s of my own.

bumfluff
01-24-2009, 06:14 AM
I did do a bit of a search for specs of the 280/630, but I can't really find any? Anyone help me out? Silly I know...

Ross K
01-24-2009, 10:38 AM
THe PSC6.1 is high performance as well as feel. Head racks are all about sacrificing feel for performance. How can you comapre? Braided graphite,....c'mon...I have to weigh in for wislon for baseliners, even though head are good frames; the ptclub popularity is dangerously out of hand, what do you guys see in those blue things?

Not sure quite how serious the poster is being here. But, assuming it is on the level, I'd be interested to hear from plasma (and anyone else for that matter) which frames they'd put ahead of the PT 630 and right around the top of their greatest list.

gymrat76
01-24-2009, 11:24 AM
I remember, like five years ago, almost everyone on court and his uncle was swinging a PSC 6.1. I myself never liked it. That kevlar feel feedback was good, of course. And it was a stable stick. But the swingfeel was awkward (kind of reminds me of a K90's awkwardness) and it was too stiff to my taste.
And maneuverability was an issue. I discovered PT630 much later (only this year) but I think it is a better stick.
But still, there is something about "W" racquets that...others can not match! :)

I would prefer a customized 6.0 95 over PSC 6.1 if I had to choose...

rorschack
01-30-2009, 11:55 AM
I did do a bit of a search for specs of the 280/630, but I can't really find any? Anyone help me out? Silly I know...

i shall help you!

http://web.archive.org/web/20010420031411/www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage.html?PCODE=280

I was playing with PT280 (non-cap), made in austria. Very buttery stick like what every says...great for baseline, but my serve and volley sucks, for me...so I am switching to Prestige Pro 600 (red fading to brown) and everything has improved! except for my forehand, which needs some work because the PP600 is cutting through the air much faster and my forehand swing needs adjustment....if I don't have good timing or swing cleanly, my forehand will be short without good action on the ball.

Another note. My serve is so freaking sweet now since I can totally control the racquet head with the snap of my hand.

Also, last night, I tried to work with my PT280 by making it 9 points head light, but I still could not serve like I did with with PP600. That is a shame because i really dig this stick...just not the volley and serve. :( Who wants to buy 4 PT280 Made in Austria? Just kidding!

good luck on your quest.

jbetti
02-03-2009, 12:01 PM
The PT280 felt less mobile, to me, because it's a lot less headlight, even though it's a little lighter I think in static weight. It has a lot less pop than the PSC 6.1 (though a little more than the PC600 line). It has a denser string pattern for a flatter ball. It also is stable around net, but in a different way. It's softer. It may be a smidge more forgiving.

The PSC 6.1, to me, promotes power tennis - quick points. Big flat serves, big groundstokes, hitting winners on the first or 2nd volley, the PSC is for you.

If you like to pummel your opponent with big kick serves (or at least well-placed serves), steady heavy groundstrokes, angles, and caressed volleys ...then you'll like the PT280.