PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen Ashley Harkleroad lately?

TommyGun
02-23-2005, 09:48 PM
Patricia Wartush in an interview in Europe said that Ashley was in a hospital suffering from depression. I did a quick search and really can't find anything on Ash since her wedding to Bogolomov, and she has been conspicuous in her absence from the tour.

So, has anyone seen or heard from her lately? Is she done with tennis, as some speculate, or will we see her again soon?

aj_m2009
02-23-2005, 09:54 PM
In the March issue of Tennis Magazine it says that she retired after she married Bogomolov Jr. and I think it might have said something about her suffering from depression. My question is why on earth would you retire from tennis at 19(she is 19 still isn't she)? She was just starting to do good on the tour when she left. To me it sounds like she is a little fruity, but that is just my opinion.

BreakPoint
02-23-2005, 09:55 PM
I heard that she officially has retired from tennis at the age of 19 last year. It was also mentioned in this month's (March) Tennis Magazine.

AndrewD
02-24-2005, 01:50 AM
Perhaps if she is suffering from depression then quitting the tour is the ideal thing to do. Not everyone can deal with the isolation and loneliness and not everyone should. If being married and travelling with the husband (or staying at home) makes her happy then good luck to her.

Jason Stoltenberg's (former tour player and coach of Hewitt) wife won junior Wimbledon twice but was retired before she'd reached 21. Didnt like the travel and preferred to be with Stoltz. So it's not unprecedented.

andfor
02-24-2005, 05:16 AM
Bogomolov's not exactly lighting the tour on fire. Good luck to the young couple.

Pushmaster
02-24-2005, 11:39 AM
I'm not going to tell someone how to live their life, but man I think it's a bad move. At only 19 she's still a kid, why not try to overcome the depression thing with medication and try to become the best tennis player she can be while she's still young? I mean how many tennis players out there have pro talent, and possibly top 10 ability, and just walk away from it at 19? Pretty lazy if you ask me, I don't how far she could have gone with her skills, but with that kind of drive and determination probably not far. Harkleroad has her whole life to get married and settle down, have kids and what not, doesn't make any sense to cash in her career for some journeyman pro, you never know how things are going to work out anyway. I wish the best for her, but I just hope for her sake she's not looking back 10 or 20 years from now and kicking herself for what could have been.

Aonex
02-24-2005, 11:49 AM
Not sure where I read it this, but apparently she's really family oriented and wanted to start a family, and tennis was secondary to her. Besides, it's not like she would have gotten that high in the rankings anyway.

Fee
02-24-2005, 12:29 PM
That's the third time I've read a reference to that Wartusch interview, but no one has given a link yet. Ashley was seen at the Dallas Challenger with Alex a few weeks ago and I wouldn't be surprised if she shows up at IW or Miami with him as well.

She had a chronic arm injury for the last year or so and the news I have is that she is taking the 2005 season off to heal and take care of personal business and that she will re-assess her career at the end of this year. She might still decide to rejoin the tour.

BreakPoint
02-24-2005, 12:31 PM
She wants to start a family at 19? Geez, I'm twice her age and still haven't started my family.

AndrewD
02-24-2005, 12:41 PM
BreakPoint,
1763 posts since last Feb, when would you have the time LOL

Marius_Hancu
04-13-2005, 01:51 PM
She seems to be back at the Challenger level, playing this week:

$25,000 Jackson, MS

http://www.itftennis.com/womens/tournaments/tournamentacceptanceList.asp?tournament=1100011547&event=&order=Position

8 HARKLEROAD, Ashley USA 207

aj_m2009
04-13-2005, 02:22 PM
Thanks for this information Marius, hopefully she will come back to the tour and stay this time.

ty slothrop
04-14-2005, 05:36 AM
@wright, get on it and give us the match reports already!

Fee
04-22-2005, 09:06 AM
Perhaps bumping this thread back up will help...

@wright
04-22-2005, 09:26 AM
I was busy last weekend. Not sure I would have gone even if I wasn't. As a side note, Hantuchova has won that tournament.

aj_m2009
04-22-2005, 09:45 AM
I see that Ashley lost in the 1st round in 3 sets 4-6 6-1 4-6.

aj_m2009
04-22-2005, 09:52 AM
She also played the Challenger in Dothan losing in the 2nd round this time also in 3 sets to Gallovits, 3-6 7-6 1-6. She beat Samantha Reeves in the first round 6-3 6-4.

Match Po¡nt
01-18-2006, 01:43 PM
I'm not going to tell someone how to live their life, but man I think it's a bad move. At only 19 she's still a kid, why not try to overcome the depression thing with medication and try to become the best tennis player she can be while she's still young? I mean how many tennis players out there have pro talent, and possibly top 10 ability, and just walk away from it at 19? Pretty lazy if you ask me, I don't how far she could have gone with her skills, but with that kind of drive and determination probably not far. Harkleroad has her whole life to get married and settle down, have kids and what not, doesn't make any sense to cash in her career for some journeyman pro, you never know how things are going to work out anyway. I wish the best for her, but I just hope for her sake she's not looking back 10 or 20 years from now and kicking herself for what could have been.Ok, there is currently a thread about Harkleroad and a ran a search and this thread came up. I noticed you wondering why someone wouldn't try to overcome depression by taking medication. Well let me ask you this personally:

Have you ever taken medication for depression?

Do you know anything about drugs presciribed for the different types of depression?

Have you ever suffered from "clinical" depression diagnosed by a professional psychiatrist, psychologist, pediatrician, neurologist, general practioner or any other qualified health professional?

Are you a doctor of medicine of any sort?

I just wanted to know if you had any knowledge about the conditions and drugs used to treat it. If you have no knowledge, I wouldn't suggest that you blatanly state that a depressed person should take certain medications.

Skppr05
01-18-2006, 01:51 PM
she just lost to sharapova

simi
01-18-2006, 01:56 PM
she just lost to sharapova

No shame in that. Most women in the world lose to Maria these days. Good to see she made the second round, at least. Did Ashly play a good match? Haven't had a chance to view it yet. Looks like she made it close in the second set.

Match Po¡nt
01-18-2006, 02:01 PM
No shame in that. Most women in the world lose to Maria these days. Good to see she made the second round, at least. Did Ashly play a good match? Haven't had a chance to view it yet. Looks like she made it close in the second set.I second that question as well. How did Harkleroad's rallying hold up against Maria's?

monologuist
01-18-2006, 02:02 PM
I didn't realize she had mental problems...I feel sympathetic towards her, but geesh, you gotta wonder if marrying a nutjob like Bogomolov (and seeing the replays of his behavior aginst Gonzo, I am convinced this man needs professional help) is gonna help things....of course there is the chicken and egg question.

federer_nadal
01-18-2006, 02:11 PM
I saw harklerod (sp?) last night playing Sharapova in the rod laver arena. We had good seats and had a great view of the players. They both grunt alot so many people were ing up

Deuce
01-18-2006, 11:02 PM
I didn't realize she had mental problems...I feel sympathetic towards her, but geesh, you gotta wonder if marrying a nutjob like Bogomolov (and seeing the replays of his behavior aginst Gonzo, I am convinced this man needs professional help) is gonna help things....of course there is the chicken and egg question.

Indeed. Any woman would be severely depressed after realizing she'd just married that idiot Bogomolov.

I'll go out on a limb and predict that the marriage won't last very long.

Andy Hewitt
01-18-2006, 11:04 PM
Holy old thread!