PDA

View Full Version : Service motion

Benefactor
01-23-2009, 01:04 PM
I am basically just wondering if this is legal or constitutes a foot fault. I'm right handed, and during my service motion, during my weight transfer to my back foot, I take a step back with my right foot (my left foot stays in place, but it comes up on the heel like Sampras did) then my right foot comes beside the left (which hasn't moved position) and I serve. Basically, it's a similar motion to what Safina does, but instead of having my right foot behind my left from the beginning, I put it there during the motion and then step into the serve. Is this legal? Hopefully you can visualize what I'm trying to say....

lawlaw
01-23-2009, 01:14 PM
So long as your foot doesn't touch the line before you make contact with the ball, you can breakdance before your serve and you'd be ok.

Benefactor
01-23-2009, 01:30 PM
So long as your foot doesn't touch the line before you make contact with the ball, you can breakdance before your serve and you'd be ok.

Well, I know that a stepping/running motion is illegal, but I didn't know what my motion would be considered. I take a step, but my body doesn't really move...I just do it as a kind of way to set my body in motion for the serve.

Captain Tezuka
01-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by Lawlaw

LoL Yeah he is right and its funny breakdance haha. As long as you don't step or cross over the basline b4 contact of the ball its fine. During the Federer Safin match Yesterday Safin did a foot fault which ****ed him off. lol What he did was he let his leg trail over the baseline or something similar occuring in a foot fault.

LeeD
01-23-2009, 01:46 PM
While you aren't footfaulting, you are making your service motion much too complicated to replicate over and over again, in stress situations, and also when tired.
Try starting out with your feet already farther apart. Makes for one less problem that WILL go wrong when you are tested.
As for stepping forwards with the backfoot or not, that is something individual, and some do, some don't.
NObody steps back with their back foot. No reason, ever, for it.

[d]ragon
01-23-2009, 02:21 PM
It's fine.

"During the service motion, the server shall not:
a. Change position by walking or running, although slight movements of
the feet are permitted;"

As long as you don't change your position means as that you aren't moving to another spot on the court during your motion.

Benefactor
01-23-2009, 04:34 PM
While you aren't footfaulting, you are making your service motion much too complicated to replicate over and over again, in stress situations, and also when tired.
Try starting out with your feet already farther apart. Makes for one less problem that WILL go wrong when you are tested.
As for stepping forwards with the backfoot or not, that is something individual, and some do, some don't.
NObody steps back with their back foot. No reason, ever, for it.

Taking a step backwards isn't really a complicated motion. I'd be more worried about everything else under pressure....moving my foot back and forth shouldn't be a problem. And I don't really care what the pros do when it comes to an insignificant foot movement like I have. It's not like it's a matter of technique. I just do it because it feels natural/comfortable. As long as the rest of my fundamentals are good then that's all I can worry about. It's not like I'm playing Wimbledon. Besides, if you look at a similar motion, I don't think you could find a pitcher in the major leagues who would start to change his pitching motion with regards to footwork when the going gets tough in games. I was watching the Tennis Channel earlier today and Dementieva does a "mini" version of what I'm describing. Now, Dementieva sucks at serving, but I don't think it has anything to do with that.

LeeD
01-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Actually....
It's interesting you use as an example of a similar serve motion to yours..... the worse serving female on tour today :):):)
You can serve with whatever motion you want... I hope it works great, I hope your tennis exceeds everyone and your expectations.
But it's not me who posts vids and solicites advice, it's YOU.
That back step is gonna kill your serve. Period. Nobody does it, it's no advantage, and it's a detriment.
Ignore advice if you want, this is a free forum.

Benefactor
01-23-2009, 05:24 PM
Actually....
It's interesting you use as an example of a similar serve motion to yours..... the worse serving female on tour today :):):)
You can serve with whatever motion you want... I hope it works great, I hope your tennis exceeds everyone and your expectations.
But it's not me who posts vids and solicites advice, it's YOU.
That back step is gonna kill your serve. Period. Nobody does it, it's no advantage, and it's a detriment.
Ignore advice if you want, this is a free forum.

I didn't post a video and I wasn't soliciting advice. Go back and read my original post. All I wanted to know was whether or not my serving motion was legal.

Sleepstream
01-23-2009, 05:58 PM
LoL Yeah he is right and its funny breakdance haha. As long as you don't step or cross over the basline b4 contact of the ball its fine. During the Federer Safin match Yesterday Safin did a foot fault which ****ed him off. lol What he did was he let his leg trail over the baseline or something similar occuring in a foot fault.

No, Safin started out his motion with one of his feet past the imaginary line extending from the center mark.