PDA

View Full Version : how to take the ball early with the one handed backhand

oneguy21
01-23-2009, 01:27 PM
I have been working on my one hander and I've been pleased with my progress. However, high balls still bother me somewhat. So I've decided to take them on the rise which requires excellent timing. Are their any things I should note. So, basically you prepare earlier and execute the same swing while the ball is rising?

thejoe
01-23-2009, 01:31 PM
You could try shortening the swing slightly?

LeeD
01-23-2009, 01:49 PM
You can shorten your backswing like Murray does in his vid of shorthopping the groundies, but really make an effort to fully follow thru, in case the ball is mishit more than you thought.
Followthru is very important in all the strokes, and it gives us a reference to replicate the stroke over and over again.
For most halfvolleys and shorthops, try to slightly move forward during the shot, much more important than on a usually groundie.
Look down, bend knees, stroke thru, transfer forward....

Ballinbob
01-23-2009, 01:56 PM
i thought you had a 2hbh?

Bungalo Bill
01-23-2009, 02:37 PM
I have been working on my one hander and I've been pleased with my progress. However, high balls still bother me somewhat. So I've decided to take them on the rise which requires excellent timing. Are their any things I should note. So, basically you prepare earlier and execute the same swing while the ball is rising?

When you get your front shoulder under your chin on your unit turn, you can use it as the reference for your timing. Or you can envision slight more in front of this shoulder (like where your front foot will plant) and use that.

Mainly, you need to create a wall that is in front of you and learn to calculate when the ball will pierce through the glass. That is when you make contact with the "glass" as well.

These are just a few tricks.

The_Steak
01-23-2009, 03:54 PM
Watch a lot of federer.

He has amazing half volleys.

oneguy21
01-23-2009, 04:01 PM
i thought you had a 2hbh?

I've had a one hander my entire life.

drakulie
01-23-2009, 04:14 PM
all timing and practice.

This particular shot has always come fairly easily to me. (don't know why).

watch 12 seconds to 17 seconds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYN8oGBlfPA

LeeD
01-23-2009, 04:21 PM
It comes easy for you because you already have correct grooved strokes and you have had them down for a few years already. Plus, you're fully grown and stronger than any 15 year old.
That one high backhand at the end of the vid thos:confused: musta been a weird bounce, which you are allowed, of course :)

Ballinbob
01-23-2009, 04:23 PM
bookmarked that vid drak, that was great

thanks for sharing

drakulie
01-23-2009, 04:29 PM
LeeD/Ballinbob, thanks. Not sure about the bounce. Sometimes>> I just truly suck. :) Anyway, I am still working on my one-hander. I get into bad habits of opening up a bit too soon, or not crouching down enough, etc, etc, etc, etc. Lots to work on.

As for the short hop, I think one of the reaons I don't have a hard time with this shot is because of my baseball days. When fielding, you are taught to attack ground balls, and step in so you don;t get caught "in-between" hops. So, you either step back and catch the ball when it has reached it's peak, or you really attack it and scoop it up on a short hop. That's similar to my approach with the one hander.

oneguy21
01-23-2009, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the advice. A lot juniors I play are just topspin monkeys so I need to find a way to handle balls that bounce high.

I recently changed to a semi-western bh grip and it helped me generate some more spin.

IMO, the semi-western grip really forces you to get low and hit from under the ball. This grip also helped me get through long bh to bh rallies.

Eastern IMO, can really be broken down with heavy topspin balls to that wing, but of course it all depends on the player.

Ballinbob
01-23-2009, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the advice. A lot juniors I play are just topspin monkeys so I need to find a way to handle balls that bounce high.

I recently changed to a semi-western bh grip and it helped me generate some more spin.

IMO, the semi-western grip really forces you to get low and hit from under the ball. This grip also helped me get through long bh to bh rallies.

Eastern IMO, can really be broken down with heavy topspin balls to that wing, but of course it all depends on the player.

I 100% agree with this. Alot of people don't like these extreme grips though, but it all depends on the person like you said. I have a western forehand grip and an eastern backhand grip, but I plan on making the switch over to SW. I play a very topspin oriented game and this should help me generate more spin. If you found it helpful and your around the 4.0 level, then hopefully I will benefit from it as well.

By the way, I made a thread on this, and taking the ball early does affect your consistency if you dont have excellent hand eye coordination. Drak played baseball which requires very good hand eye coordination. I on the other hand run track lol, which requires speed. Anyway, I would stick to the SW grip and take ball where you like it instead of early.

Good luck with your game:)

LeeD
01-23-2009, 04:39 PM
I'm mostly eastern backhand, because I want to be able to slice even low balls with ONE backhand offensive grip.
Gotta keep upper body posture stable, and it seems to always go well.
Yeah, you 3rd baseman and shortstops have a great advantage over us outfielders.

RestockingTues
01-23-2009, 04:43 PM
all timing and practice.

This particular shot has always come fairly easily to me. (don't know why).

watch 12 seconds to 17 seconds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYN8oGBlfPA
Hey, that old geezer is pretty good ;-)

halalula1234
01-23-2009, 04:52 PM
prepare early. and hit it as it bounces not wait for it to fall down. hard but practice will help.

boojay
01-24-2009, 10:46 AM
Backhand or forehand, I find leaning into the shot really helps. I mean, you should be moving forward and leaning into every shot regardless, but since I'm still learning I find when I exaggerate this and take a head-on approach (i.e. aggressively coming to the shot; almost like a game of chicken) the ball seems to slow down and I'm able to really put my weight into it and take it on the rise. Once you get the right feeling, it's just a matter of recognizing all the proper cues to remind you how to empirically reproduce the same results in the future.

Kevo
01-24-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm trying to think about whether my swing is the same or not. I think I actually shorten it a little, but it may be one of those things that you just get a feel for.

Having all those spinballers to hit with will give you ample opportunity to practice, but if you're worried about shanking too many balls, you can always set up a ball machine to throw some high spinny shots for practice.

I think it's mostly just a timing issue, and if your stroke is sound, you will get the hang of it through repetition.