PDA

View Full Version : Did HEAD ever produce rackets in Taiwan in the 80-90s?

MichaelChang
01-23-2009, 04:32 PM
I come across some old school HEAD rackets (supposedly made in the 80-90s) that are marked "Made in Taiwan". They do not look like the traditional Austria or US made Head rackets, the paint job is differnt. I don't know. Did HEAD have a factory in Taiwan at that time?

retrowagen
01-23-2009, 10:11 PM
Yes, commencing in 1989, with the Match Pro constant beam widebody.

MichaelChang
01-24-2009, 05:38 AM
Thank you retrowagen. I hardly see Taiwan made HEADs. Are they good compared to the Austria made ones?

Bud
01-24-2009, 09:45 AM
Thank you retrowagen. I hardly see Taiwan made HEADs. Are they good compared to the Austria made ones?

I have a few Taiwan made Head frames and a few made in Malaysia.

MichaelChang
01-24-2009, 11:06 AM
I have a few Taiwan made Head frames and a few made in Malaysia.

How do they hit? I like Taiwan made Prince, but never hit with a Taiwan made HEAD. Are they good?

plasma
01-24-2009, 10:42 PM
http://i43.tinypic.com/309hcpc.jpg
Head prestige Pro (USA)
Head Match Pro (Taiwan)

MichaelChang
01-25-2009, 05:02 PM
http://i43.tinypic.com/309hcpc.jpg
Head prestige Pro (USA)
Head Match Pro (Taiwan)

Thanks for the pictures man!
It seems HEAD let the Taiwan factory made some non-mainstream rackets?

Bud
01-26-2009, 08:30 AM
How do they hit? I like Taiwan made Prince, but never hit with a Taiwan made HEAD. Are they good?

They seem about the same. I'm not one of those people that can pick out subtle differences in frame feel.

HighDesertTennis
01-26-2009, 08:49 AM
I come across some old school HEAD rackets (supposedly made in the 80-90s) that are marked "Made in Taiwan". They do not look like the traditional Austria or US made Head rackets, the paint job is differnt. I don't know. Did HEAD have a factory in Taiwan at that time?

Howard Head was a true American genius! Having grad-u-tated Harvard and with the goal of becomming a creative writer, HH found he had no aptitude for it! Not being much of a skier ..BUT feeling that a vastly improved metal ski could help beginners...he set about designing MANY!! I say many..because it was all trial and error ...and passing them out to Pro's on the various mountains ..he came up with the trend setting design ..changing the ski world completely!

The, not being a tennis player ..but also feeling that a major design change could make things easier for beginners ...he developed the Prince Oversize (metal) racquet that became another revolutionary trend setter BUT in another sport!! Also..with lots of trail and error.

Being from Baltimore..he went about having players and club pros in the area test his designs. One was a former Pro who worked for us at TennisLink.org in DC.

The Mfg is nearly ALWAYS done but whomever can fulfill the desing specs at the lowest cost. That Head Racquet you mentioned was fine as long as I didn't hit with it more than an hour or so a day. BUT..if I hit with it as much as 3 hrs ...it was "wristy"!!

BTW-We're (my wife and I) are still hitting with TiRadical-OS ..but considering a change to Prince O series. Dan

plasma
01-26-2009, 09:46 PM
can someone pls post a new thread in honor of Howard Head?

vsbabolat
01-27-2009, 06:50 AM
Thanks for the pictures man!
It seems HEAD let the Taiwan factory made some non-mainstream rackets?

The few HEAD racquets that were made in Taiwan were low-end department store type racquets that were produced by a OEM most likely by Kunnan Lo the founder of Pro Kennex. All Premium HEAD racquets at that time were manufactured in Boulder, Colorado and Kennelbach, Austria. Then in 1988 all production for all premium racquets was switched to Kennelbach, Austria.

plasma
01-27-2009, 07:43 AM
VS Gut, once again I agree with u 110%. Please post some VS-babolah threads in this classic section, I think that with enough threads they'll stop trying to hide us...
http://i44.tinypic.com/jqrel0.jpg