PDA

View Full Version : Ultra tour 17 and Rip Control.

DarthCow
01-23-2009, 06:05 PM
Has anyone had any experiences with both these strings, either on their own or in a hybrid together??

Im thinking of buying a set or two of each and hybriding them, as they seem like fairly decent strings at a reasonable price.

So if anyone has any feedback on this string, it would be appreciated.

am22fcw
01-23-2009, 06:36 PM
I have been wondering about rip control myself....

wraith2626
01-23-2009, 07:22 PM
I have played Rip Control - tried it in a hybrid with TopSpin CyberPower (CyberBlue now) in the mains, with the Rip Control in the crosses on three racquets.

I tried my best to like the string and gave it a few weeks of play on each frame (Prince O3 White, Technifibre TFlash 310, Head Microgel Prestige MP), but it simply felt dead giving no power or feel, and harsh making the stringbed feel very stiff.

Just my experience. Others may have better experiences. Just my $0.02.

howy
01-23-2009, 11:47 PM
Has anyone had any experiences with both these strings, either on their own or in a hybrid together??

Im thinking of buying a set or two of each and hybriding them, as they seem like fairly decent strings at a reasonable price.

So if anyone has any feedback on this string, it would be appreciated.

Both are stiff strings in their category.
Ultra has not so much power.

Gee
01-24-2009, 11:38 AM
I disagree. Rip Control is not stiff at all. Look how the strings are curling when you are stringing. That indicates it is a very flexible string. It is one of the softest strings I ever played with.
The 17g version has a good ball bite and a soft comfortable feel with a lot spin potential and an excellent control.

howy
01-24-2009, 01:00 PM
It is one of the softest strings I ever played with.

I don't know what you have played yet, but tthe RIP Control is not a representative of soft strings. It is a nice string though, there is no discussion about that.

But definitely not one of the armfriendliest Strings.

Gee
01-24-2009, 02:10 PM
Maybe I tested not too many different strings. As far I can remember I recently played with the following: Head Sonic Pro, Tecnifibre X-1 Biphase 17, Babolat VS Touch 16g, Pacific Tough Gut 17, Dunlop Synthetic Gut, Pacific Syntec.

To me RC 17 feels like a soft string with a good ball bite due to the textured surface. I only wished it didn't move around so much after the tension has dropped. And I don't want to string too tight.

aphex
01-24-2009, 02:16 PM
rip control is a bit higher-powered and a bit softer than poly. use it if your arm can't handle poly, but you want a low powered string.

DarthCow
01-24-2009, 04:55 PM
I play with full poly, and am looking for a softer alternative. (Hybrid.)

beckham
01-24-2009, 04:59 PM
I have used HEAD Rip COntrol and liked it a lot, softer, durable, and could get a nice amount of spin.

gastro54
01-24-2009, 05:30 PM
I really liked Rip Control when I used it too, but it broke too fast.

tennisguyak
01-24-2009, 07:22 PM
I used RIP control 17 crosses with Dunlop Max Comfort 17 mains both at 65 and the RIP control was pretty good for about 5 days, maybe about 13-14 hours of play. Then it became very mushy and had no control at all. After several more days of sucking, it just ripped, not snapped, but the RIP control crosses, ripped. IMO its not worth what it costs, maybe if it was like 2 bucks you could buy it and restring after several hours.

DarthCow
01-24-2009, 07:26 PM
What about Ultra Tour 17?

This is the one I dont know much about.