PDA

View Full Version : Gain confidence & relax?

ima sucka 4 tennis
01-23-2009, 08:20 PM
I've been playing tennis seriously for a few years. I'm on the varsity tennis team at my high school. When it comes to games or tournaments, I just can't win. If I'm rallying or playing fun games I'm doing perfectly fine, my strokes are good and I hit plenty of winners. But somehow, when I'm playing in a match or something serious, I always manage to lose. I haven't won a set in the past year. I honestly have no clue what I'm doing wrong. My coach tells me I have no confidence in myself and I need to relax and stop trying to hit hard. I've been trying to do that for the past three months yet I haven't been improving, can anyone help me with this please?

Thanks.

Jackie T. Stephens
01-23-2009, 08:22 PM
I'm not sure what the problem is.. do you first start your matches by winning then some how losing?

ima sucka 4 tennis
01-23-2009, 08:27 PM
Yeah! It's pretty much that. When the game starts I'm winning like.. 4-0, then the person somehow catches up.

Jackie T. Stephens
01-23-2009, 08:29 PM
Use to happen to me, while your playing you seem to change, try keeping your game the same and go for nothing new.

The_Steak
01-23-2009, 08:38 PM
Keep a smile on your face. Today I was playing after almost getting kicked out of class because I had a bad attitude for the last 2 weeks during classes. Kept on sighing and dropping the racquet. Today, I showed him :). Kept really really loose during practice, didn't try to do anything. Kept nice and light on my toes and moved around actively. When you make a mistake repeat the stroke with correct form. And try to enjoy the match.

DO NOT WORRY ABOUT WINNING AND LOSING.

Jackie T. Stephens
01-23-2009, 08:42 PM
That's the most important part! "Don't worry about winning or losing"

sukivan
01-23-2009, 09:54 PM
losing when you play well feels fine.
losing when you play badly feels terrible.

write "GO FOR IT" on a piece of opaque tape and put it on the inside edge of the top of your racquet head. read it before every serve and every return.

lawlitssoo1n
01-23-2009, 10:07 PM
u just gotta build up some self confidence. take DEEP breaths inbetween points and think positive. the fact that ur caught up with u losing so many matchs will only bring ur mental game down. and maybe u should go play some practice matches with ur friends, but play serious

ayuname
01-24-2009, 05:26 AM
smiley face dampener!

LeeD
01-24-2009, 07:26 AM
Happens to all of us...
We get way ahead, we somehow find a way to lose.
Gotta get mad, really HATE losing, then cut down on errors...including feeding your opponent his favorite shots.....and end the set playing as well as you started it.
Takes time. Every pro, from Fed to Ferrer, and every other pro, starts out losing lotsa important matches until they find a way to win. Takes time, takes lots of tournament play.
No easy magic carpet ride, you just gotta hate losing more than your opponent.

Jackie T. Stephens
01-24-2009, 09:16 AM
It doesn't matter to me, a loss it a loss but let it be an ITF! I'm there to win.

pandal3oy
01-24-2009, 10:13 AM
smiley face dampener!

haha i have one on my racquet and it doesnt help me! i actually want to get the sad face one. i had it but lost it somewhere :(

i think im not aggressive enough in tournaments. i tighten up. im sure thats the case with most people. the only times i remember winning was when someone made me mad like bad line calls. i like hitting the paint so it makes me focus more when someone makes me mad. normally im just too smiley and happy which is weird for competition!

jessey
01-24-2009, 10:56 AM
What kind of stretegy and tactics are you using on the court during a match?
If you're just hitting the ball back with pace without paying attention to the "game" element, there's nothing easier to exploit.

ima sucka 4 tennis
01-26-2009, 07:06 AM
I played in a tournament the other day and I lost. ]: Both rounds. Yet again, I still can't win a match. It sucks because I practice all the time and I see no improvement for myself. It feels like I'm working for nothing.