PDA

View Full Version : This is a Bad Idea for a Sub-Section

Deuce
01-23-2009, 11:10 PM
Although I'm the first person to say that the older racquets were much better than 99% of today's junk, I think it's quite a bad idea to have a separate section for "Classic Racquets".

Apart from there being no viable reason for a separate section (were many people complaining of the presence of "old racquets" in the racquet section? I very much doubt it), this new section will serve only to hide threads from those who don't remember - or don't have the time - to check the extra section.

They did this a few years ago - they created a sub-section for balls and some other tennis item. Fortunately, that sub-section died a quick death.
I hope that this section encounters the same fate.

A sub-section works for the "Pro Match Results', because there is a valid reason to have those threads separate from the rest of the 'Pro Player Talk'.
But there is no reason for this section.

Having extra sections like this serves only to complicate matters.
Simple is better.
What's next - a section for blue racquets only?
A section for head sizes 90 sq. in. and below?
This type of segregation is silly, confusing, and time consuming, and will produce more problems than it solves.

One section for tennis racquets is all we need.

adams_1
01-23-2009, 11:55 PM
You really think it's confusing? It's just one extra section, not a big deal.

And as for time consuming, it doesn't take long to click. Even on Australia's third-world internet it doesn't take long to load one more tab.

Deuce
01-24-2009, 12:08 AM
It's a whole other section to go through.
If you don't think that'll take more time, you need to do more research on the properties of time.

And, yes - the more sub-sections an area contains, the more confusing it is, quite obviously.

plasma
01-24-2009, 12:57 AM
i love this section,
Imagine what vintage rackaholics had to do.. sifting through all the kps and microgel aerogel nanotech crap to just find a humble graphite pro...
this isn't an extra section for Keith, Mel, Virginia, Bud, Bob, and Daniel...It's our MAIN section!!!!!
My parents came to this country in a boat (actually we all came here on a plane but let's go with "a boat" for dramatic impact), the kind of freedom they strived for would be denied if this section was closed.
You call it partisan segregation, but Deucey baby, this is our seperatism and Pride, back to the motherland...we stand with prostaffs, f 200's, R22's, gtx's, prestige classics and POG 4 stripes in hand, at the doors of tennis warehouse, ready to fight, the moment they close this "sub-section" down and try "re-integrating" us into general racquet population....they can take our sub-section, but they'll never take our freedom!!!!
http://i40.tinypic.com/29ohlza.jpg
this isn't personal deuce, you're one of the most intelligent posters in the universe, this is just how we all feel towards anyone who doesn't support our new section....join us Duece, come to the darkside, put your oversize brain away and act with your midsize heart, ...
http://i43.tinypic.com/k21hjt.jpg
mmmuuaahahahahahahahaha...

Voltron
01-24-2009, 01:05 AM
Deuce, is it you absolute highest goal to ruin every nice thing we have? Signatures? Image size? Classic Racquet Section? Seriously, what is wrong with you?

adams_1
01-24-2009, 01:10 AM
It's a whole other section to go through.
If you don't think that'll take more time, you need to do more research on the properties of time.

Hold up. Nobody is forcing you to read through every section - feel free to pretend it never happened. Have you ever made a positive post?

SFrazeur
01-24-2009, 01:32 AM
I fully agree. I do not see the need for having separate sections. There is a pretty good ratio of new and classic racquets threads as well as customization and racquet search threads in the single section. It is fair, simple and works.

-SF

Deuce
01-24-2009, 01:39 AM
Deuce, is it you absolute highest goal to ruin every nice thing we have? Signatures? Image size? Classic Racquet Section? Seriously, what is wrong with you?
Seems that you're the one with nothing better to do with your time than to follow me around, posting your simplistic, manipulative, inaccurate, and outright dishonest claims of what I've done.

It was made very clear to me quite some time ago - through your twisted posts - that you either have no clue how to accurately perceive things, or you're very dishonest.

Hold up. Nobody is forcing you to read through every section - feel free to pretend it never happened. Have you ever made a positive post?
^ Another pure genius!

I'm the one saying that there was nothing wrong with the older racquets being included in the Racquets section - that if it ain't broke, there's no need to 'fix' it - and you're saying that I'm negative?
Seems to me that you and the others are the ones who aren't happy with old racquets being included in the Racquets section.

If you want to live in a 'politically correct' world rife with phony politeness and fake 'positivity', it's your right to seek that out. Give Oprah and her phony 'friends' my regards.
It's also my right to bring some reality in where I feel it's needed.
"The greatest threat to freedom is the absence of criticism." - Wole Soyinka.

I don't write positive posts. Nor do I write negative posts.
The only type of posts I write are intelligent posts.
This would explain why you don't understand.

jayserinos99
01-24-2009, 02:07 AM
I don't care either way since I'll go through both sections. My gripe is that if you do decide to have a Classic Racquet section, move all the other classic racquet threads as well. Actually I wouldn't mind seeing some cleanup as far as duplicate racquet threads but that's just me being nitpicky.

adams_1
01-24-2009, 03:40 AM
I don't write positive posts. Nor do I write negative posts. The only type of posts I write are intelligent posts. This would explain why you don't understand.

Remind me to stick a note on my head reminding me how you're smarter than the rest of us, sometimes I just forget.

Pro_Tour_630
01-24-2009, 06:25 AM
TW can do whatever they want, they are paying for this board they can do whatever they please. You want to talk about currant racquets there is the racquet section, you want to talk about old classic frames post here. Mods should start enforcing this rule IMO and deleting threads that do not belong in the proper section (easier said than done) since what defines a classic racquet?

matchmaker
01-24-2009, 07:15 AM
I agree that this might not be the best way to deal with classic racquets.

The first thing I thought when I saw the subsection was: they are looking for a way to hide the classics from the big racquet forum, so in the "real" racquet forum we will only find discussions about new frames, which as TW is a tennis business comes in handy for them as it will increase racquet hypes and as such sales.

BTW, how do you define a classic. For instance, the POG, is that a classic? It is still in production.

How about threads comparing the microgel Prestige to the iPrestige and the PC600? Where should they go?

What happens when a racquet is discontinued? For 4 years all articles and thread about that racquet have been in the "normal" racquet section. Should people all of a sudden post their threads in the classic racquets section then?

This is confusing. I think things were better as they were by having a general racquet subforum bundling all the available knowledge about old and new racquets.

Virginia
01-24-2009, 11:09 AM
I can appreciate both sides of this "argument". Let's just see how things pan out, shall we - and try not to bash each other in the process. We're all racquet lovers here, that's the important thing.

BTW I'll bet that the POGs they're making today are not the same as the originals.

gymrat76
01-24-2009, 12:34 PM
One liner of the day: "put your oversize brain away and act with your midsize heart" :)
Btw- plasma, i didn't know you were a FOB! lol

gymrat76
01-24-2009, 12:38 PM

The first thing I thought when I saw the subsection was: they are looking for a way to hide the classics from the big racquet forum, so in the "real" racquet forum we will only find discussions about new frames, which as TW is a tennis business comes in handy for them as it will increase racquet hypes and as such sales.

BTW, how do you define a classic. For instance, the POG, is that a classic? It is still in production.

How about threads comparing the microgel Prestige to the iPrestige and the PC600? Where should they go?

What happens when a racquet is discontinued? For 4 years all articles and thread about that racquet have been in the "normal" racquet section. Should people all of a sudden post their threads in the classic racquets section then?

This is confusing. I think things were better as they were by having a general racquet subforum bundling all the available knowledge about old and new racquets.

Come on, dude..don't get caught in details.. We just want a section where we can take a look at pics of classics and discuss them whenever we want! We dont wanna be "bundled" with "racquets with gel" (especially when we know that is just a marketing bs)

All the great collectors such as plasma, jetlee and others shall post pics here and that would be awesome!

gymrat76
01-24-2009, 01:04 PM
TW can do whatever they want, they are paying for this board they can do whatever they please. You want to talk about currant racquets there is the racquet section, you want to talk about old classic frames post here. Mods should start enforcing this rule IMO and deleting threads that do not belong in the proper section (easier said than done) since what defines a classic racquet?

Classic is a racquet that it was either discontinued, or even if it is still being produced, it gained such status among hearts of people. I mean, we all racquet lovers know what these frames are, it is no brainer.

It also has to do some with the head size, I think.

How I would want to see this sub-section, would be like it is a museum of yesteryear's classic beauties. For ex, plasma from west coast, jetlee from Asia, ericsson from europe, etc..would be great if they could turn this sub-section into "one" museum with pics of the priceless racquets they have......

plasma
01-24-2009, 02:06 PM
Hi Mel, I grabbed a photo of me at age 14 from immigration when we first came off the boat!!!
http://i43.tinypic.com/2cp70jo.jpg
plasma age 14

gymrat76
01-24-2009, 02:59 PM
LoL and here's me tryin' to make it happen in the boroughs :)

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/0/2/3/6/2/4/webimg/221375539_o.jpg

Mick
01-24-2009, 03:00 PM
LoL and here's me tryin' to make it happen in the boroughs :)

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/0/2/3/6/2/4/webimg/221375539_o.jpg

don't you think djokovic looks kinda like robert deniro when he was younger ?

gymrat76
01-24-2009, 03:04 PM
don't you think djokovic looks kinda like robert deniro when he was younger ?

NO ****ING WAY!

gymrat76
01-24-2009, 03:05 PM
anybody but a clown from serbia who has a dislike for americans

Mick
01-24-2009, 03:13 PM
not twins but there is a resemblence, at least to me :)

http://i43.tinypic.com/2cngxl.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/2cgyop0.jpg

gymrat76
01-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Ppl can look the same. But that dont mean nothing to me. Who you chose to resemble to a great American actor...this serbian clown, with his unspoken but sometimes surfacing hatred towards U.S, stands exactly at the opposite pole from Spirit of America and what it is all about.

Deuce
01-24-2009, 09:55 PM

^ Yes - that was my initial thought as well.

While many think having this extra sub-forum is a favour being done for them... they don't realize the selfish motives which may very well lie beneath what they believe to be a benevolent gesture.

Unfortunately, the majority will always be blissfully oblivious to things that seem glaringly obvious to others.

plasma
01-25-2009, 12:04 AM
I've actually found something slightly more satisfying than conspiracy theories on cold winter nights,
http://i42.tinypic.com/zko9hd.jpg
but vintage rackaholics everywhere feel safer now that you are protecting us from our own community.....
mmmkay!
http://i43.tinypic.com/2mxeqvm.jpg

racquetfreak
01-25-2009, 08:09 AM
i rather like the concept of a new section for blue racquets and yet another for blue rackets.

Gorecki
01-25-2009, 11:24 AM
Although I'm the first person to say that the older racquets were much better than 99% of today's junk, I think it's quite a bad idea to have a separate section for "Classic Racquets".

Apart from there being no viable reason for a separate section (were many people complaining of the presence of "old racquets" in the racquet section? I very much doubt it), this new section will serve only to hide threads from those who don't remember - or don't have the time - to check the extra section.

They did this a few years ago - they created a sub-section for balls and some other tennis item. Fortunately, that sub-section died a quick death.
I hope that this section encounters the same fate.

A sub-section works for the "Pro Match Results', because there is a valid reason to have those threads separate from the rest of the 'Pro Player Talk'.
But there is no reason for this section.

Having extra sections like this serves only to complicate matters.
Simple is better.
What's next - a section for blue racquets only?
A section for head sizes 90 sq. in. and below?
This type of segregation is silly, confusing, and time consuming, and will produce more problems than it solves.

One section for tennis racquets is all we need.

im not sure, but i partialy agree with you. yet i feel that there should be a "Club" section for those "long live the radicals, fisher faction, rubber band damp club" sort of club threads where one and only one product is discussed to exaustion...

but this new section should have the classic racquets threads moved here...

Virginia
01-25-2009, 11:39 AM
As someone who owns a message board myself (to do with contract bridge), I can tell you that finding and moving all the classic racquet threads would be quite a chore, especially the finding. ;

the 10s n00b
01-25-2009, 12:11 PM
just an extra section for more organization....

plasma
01-25-2009, 01:23 PM
it's more than that, noob, the extinction of the classic racquet thread threatens not only the american way of life, but also global freedom itself....
http://i44.tinypic.com/mafghk.jpg

grab your gtx's and 200g's...we will not be silenced!!!

AndrewD
01-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Unfortunately, the majority will always be blissfully oblivious to things that seem glaringly obvious to others.

That's because the majority aren't paranoid and/or delusional.

meowmix
01-25-2009, 03:33 PM
I'm going to have to agree with Duece on this one. While this extra section IS nice, and does create more organization, a lot of people are never going to come in here and read these threads. Fact of the matter is, juniors/people that have never played with the classics only start playing with them after they've read about how great they are. I didn't purchase anything made after 2005 until I read some rave reviews about how great rackets were back in the old days. The point of this forum is so that we can all learn some new info, and enhance our play. If a lot of people never even get to read these posts, then people never have the chance to play with the classics.

Ronny
01-25-2009, 05:56 PM
seriously, if u dont like it, make ur own forum...its tw's forum and they can do wat they like... i personally dislike all the threads about ps85's and pc600's etc...i like this new section it seperates old and new stuff

Deuce
01-26-2009, 12:12 AM
I'm going to have to agree with Duece on this one. While this extra section IS nice, and does create more organization, a lot of people are never going to come in here and read these threads. Fact of the matter is, juniors/people that have never played with the classics only start playing with them after they've read about how great they are. I didn't purchase anything made after 2005 until I read some rave reviews about how great rackets were back in the old days. The point of this forum is so that we can all learn some new info, and enhance our play. If a lot of people never even get to read these posts, then people never have the chance to play with the classics.
^ Very good point.
Naturally, TW would prefer that "juniors/people" buy current racquets from TW, rather than finding older racquets elsewhere.
Ergo, this new sub-section, which will accomplish precisely what you describe above, and thus bring more money into TW.

seriously, if u dont like it, make ur own forum...its tw's forum and they can do wat they like... i personally dislike all the threads about ps85's and pc600's etc...i like this new section it seperates old and new stuff
^ Whomever taught you to write ought to be fired.

That's because the majority aren't paranoid and/or delusional.
^ It's because the majority aren't very bright and see only what's on the surface, Andrew.
Not that you'd notice...
This post of yours (above) - like so many other of your posts - demonstrates how little you understand about life.

Ronny
01-26-2009, 03:33 AM
It's TW's message board! Go have a cry! If you don't like it then make your own. geez

SFrazeur
01-27-2009, 10:46 AM
It's TW's message board! Go have a cry! If you don't like it then make your own. geez

TW created the forums as way to increase web traffic by having a place for Tennis people to call home on the web. This place lives on the sharing of information and ideas. It is a forum.

By the way, do you know the definition and origin of the word "forum?" If you did you seem to have forgotten. If you want to argue that this discussion is not of public interest then fine, do so. But stop trying to shush a person because you disagree with them.

-SF

diredesire
01-27-2009, 11:19 AM
Agreed, we should be able to talk about a sub forum, especially when it is new, what is all your guys' problems? It's cool if you disagree, but the name calling and such is uncalled for. Since when did TTW become so... superficial? It's not a popularity contest, I think SF has got it right, look up the origin of the word "forum." We're all lucky to have a voice that can be heard, IMO.

As far as organization, I also think this is going to be slightly more troublesome for my needs. Yeah, I agree classic racquets are awesome, and deserve discussion, but the separation isn't doing ME any favors, from a reader's standpoint. Do I REALLY have SO much interest in all sorts of classic frames that I will open this sub-forum up every time I browse through the racquets forum? Probably not, I just like to skim and read about people giving feedback on the gear they use, and maybe if i spot one in the future at a garage sale or thrift shop, i'll pick it up if i can get it cheap and give it a spin. For those of you who think the fine line is so obvious, ask the younger kids (Ronny seems to be a good candidate) what a classic racquet is.....

Some people don't care about old, discontinued frames, or racquet history, or frame construction, and it's cool to have the sub-forum, but to others it can be confusing and a hassle. I'm going to lay my vote down for that camp.

SFrazeur
01-27-2009, 11:24 AM
I wouldn't have nearly the problem I do with the subforum if it was a "twin" forum, standing right beside the regular racquets section under Tennis Equipment.

-SF

Virginia
01-27-2009, 11:29 AM
That's a good point actually - why not give it full forum status, rather than being hidden away.

VGP
01-27-2009, 01:13 PM
For now, my impression is I'm liking this "sub-forum".....

I don't have to muddle through the typical 'Nadal's racket' or 'Federer's racket' or 'Ivanovic's racket' threads.....

....just some nice info on nice decent frames from the past.

SFrazeur
01-27-2009, 01:32 PM
For now, my impression is I'm liking this "sub-forum".....

I don't have to muddle through the typical 'Nadal's racket' or 'Federer's racket' or 'Ivanovic's racket' threads.....

....just some nice info on nice decent frames from the past.

Would you prefer it stay as a sub-forum or a forum that stands right next to regular racquets section?

-SF

VGP
01-27-2009, 01:45 PM
Either way
is ok
I chose to rhyme
this time
Please I hope you
let me continue
to talk about rackets
in the front or in the back it's
ok with me
don't you see

retrowagen
01-27-2009, 01:57 PM
I preferred all racquet discussion collected in one primary forum, without this sub-forum.

Philosophically, it was simpler, not unlike the rackets of the past that many of us prefer...

Virginia
01-27-2009, 02:31 PM
Would you prefer it stay as a sub-forum or a forum that stands right next to regular racquets section?

-SF
The latter, if for no other reason than it will get full exposure, unlike now.

There will probably be some crossover between the two - not sure if that matters or not - but at least the latest (and not the greatest!) racquets will be separate from the true classic creations, many of which are still being played with today, not only because of the inherent superiority of their design, but also because of their ability to endure.

As my stringer puts it "that stuff is just gimmicks - there's no really significant advance in racquet design".

SFrazeur
01-27-2009, 02:54 PM

There will probably be some crossover between the two - not sure if that matters or not - but at least the latest (and not the greatest!) racquets will be separate from the true classic creations, many of which are still being played with today, not only because of the inherent superiority of their design, but also because of their ability to endure.

As my stringer puts it "that stuff is just gimmicks - there's no really significant advance in racquet design".

I really think that this separate forum section being tucked away as a sub forum is the reason for my initial discern with the separation.

Last significant advancement in racquet design was probably the wide body, tapered design.

-SF

SFrazeur
01-27-2009, 02:56 PM
I will add that TW could probably keep this as a sub-forum under the message boards hierarchy but still display it on the main forum page. WHERE IT BELONGS.

-SF

Virginia
01-27-2009, 06:58 PM
Not sure the software allows that. I use Invision though, so not sure about VBulletin.

There might be a tick box for "show subforums on main page" somewhere though. Even so, it could still be overlooked, as it wouldn't be all that prominent.

Let's give it full forum status!

SFrazeur
01-27-2009, 07:20 PM
This is what I had in mind but on the front page: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

But looking at it again if they we with this they might as well let it have full status.

-SF

Deuce
01-27-2009, 11:47 PM
I preferred all racquet discussion collected in one primary forum, without this sub-forum.

Philosophically, it was simpler, not unlike the rackets of the past that many of us prefer...
^ I agree wholeheartedly.

I will add that TW could probably keep this as a sub-forum under the message boards hierarchy but still display it on the main forum page. WHERE IT BELONGS.

-SF
^ I disagree - for the reasons I've already stated, and for the one I state below.

To have 'classic racquets' as a sub-forum, or as a separate 'full forum' would - obviously - segregate it from the more current racquets.
While this segregation might make some feel 'special' (as in being members of an 'exclusive club'), as 'meowmix' earlier stated - it will definitely hide these classic frames from the view of the majority, who will continue to peruse the main racquet section.

Those of you claiming to 'love' the classics should be encouraging others to take a look at them, rather than hiding it away as your little exclusive secret.
I love the old classics as much as anyone - as my 8 years of posting on this board confirms - and this is precisely why I do not at all like the idea of segregating - and thus effectively hiding - them away from the majority.

A separate forum (or sub-forum) for the old classics amounts to preaching to the converted - we are the only ones who will be in this forum. Do we really want to be selfish and keep these gems to ourselves? Would a benevolence not be better for all parties?
I think we have a responsibility to encourage others (especially the young ones) to try these classic frames - not only to see what they're missing, but also to see how tennis used to be played.

I can see where TW wants to hide the classics away - to encourage people to purchase newer frames.
But surely those of us who love the classics can be more benevolent in enlightening and encouraging others to give them a try.
And that simply will never be done if the classics are hidden away in a separate forum or sub-forum.

Think about it...

SFrazeur
01-28-2009, 12:05 AM
^ I disagree - for the reasons I've already stated, and for the one I state below.

I agree with you. However, I think that this new section will probably be here to stay so might as well make the best of it. Besides, it's just a tennis forum, it's not like it's politics. Real world calls.

-SF

Rorsach
01-28-2009, 12:48 AM
I have to agree with Deuce. Sub-forums tend to splinter most forums, i've seen it happen before and it will happen again, but hopefully not here.
Just put the threads about classic racquets in the main forum, if no one reads them they'll disappear down the list soon enough.

plasma
01-28-2009, 09:14 AM
rorshack, how does the procinetic compare to the ps 85??...forgive me for highjacking this thread, but the poor horse was killed 5 posts ago!!!

Rorsach
01-28-2009, 01:34 PM
rorshack, how does the procinetic compare to the ps 85??...forgive me for highjacking this thread, but the poor horse was killed 5 posts ago!!!

Start a new thread for it. We have to fill up this forum anyway ;)

Deuce
01-29-2009, 12:21 AM
Very nice of you all to run away and avoid the crux of the issue (see post #49)...

plasma
01-29-2009, 07:37 PM
here's my take: vintage collectors aren't trying to hide anything, instead you are using your oversized Deucey Deuce brain to hide from having a rational, genuine and logical opinion on this matter, ......the increased interest and respect for our collections is awesome. Through this forum I continue to meet wonderful new penpals and collectors (classic racqaholics like mel, Virginia, Keith, Bob, W.Craig, etc.:
Before the classic rack section saved me it was really annoying with tw's limited search tool to floss thru endless pages of threads in the racquet section, scrolling thru 3 pages to see the same 2 threads ("head graphite pro" and "here's my prestige collection")...
I barely check the other sections anymore and have noticed more interest and folks on the board since our classic forum was created (first time ever I've seen over 100 viewing!!!)....Deuce, it's obvious from your knowledge that you are one of us....of all posters I thought you would be this sections biggest fan...
you have the intelligence of professor X yet I worry about you, Deuce, why don't you feel the joy that we feel from this friendly coffeshop like forum (good one gymrat!)...are these actual thoughts and opinions of yours, or are you hiding behind your brain???
everything seems to be an excercise in vapid, fatuous, intellectual masturbation....that worries me Deuce because I need a new doubles partner and I'm totally scared you might blow any lead we'd ever have...
I really wanna know Deuce, genuinely
who are you?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgWQ1erBnMo

Deuce
01-29-2009, 09:51 PM
In your post above, plasma, there are many words... yet absolutely nothing of any substance is written.

You have entirely avoided the issue I invited everyone to address - that being the selfishness of having a 'classic racquets' section all to yourselves instead of sharing your knowledge and experiences of the classics with others (including kids), in an effort to encourage them to try some classics out.

It seems that you 'classic racquet people' would prefer to be selfish and not share your knowledge and experience about classic racquets with others; that you prefer to have your 'exclusive club' and merely go around and around in circles preaching to the converted.
To me, this totally contradicts the claim that most of you make that you love the classics and you think that tennis is better played with the classics.
Well... people who sincerely love the classics would want to share their knowledge and experience with others, and encourage others to try them out themselves and see what they've been missing.
But you people don't want that. You would prefer to hide the classics - and your knowledge and experience - in this thread, which will be visited only by people already interested in classic frames.

If you truly loved the classics, and felt that tennis is best played with them, you'd definitely look beyond your own noses and want to encourage others to discover these classics.

Virginia
01-29-2009, 10:02 PM
I think I'm partially persuaded by this last post - you certainly make some very telling points.

Maybe the solution is to have this forum as a forum in its own right, standing right next to the Racquets forum on the main page.

Deuce
01-29-2009, 11:20 PM
I think I'm partially persuaded by this last post - you certainly make some very telling points.

Maybe the solution is to have this forum as a forum in its own right, standing right next to the Racquets forum on the main page.
But as long as classic racquets are segregated in any way from the rest of the racquets, the majority will never enter this segregated section.

The only way that people other than us will see these threads - and thus learn about the classics and be encouraged to try them - is when threads on classic racquets are incorporated directly in the Racquets section, as they were before the unfortunate birth of this section.
How many people have said that they were encouraged or inspired to try an old classic because of what they read about those racquets? Hundreds of people. And probably 90% of them loved their experience with the classics.
That won't happen anymore - because of the existence of this section.

It seems that TW feels that this would cut into their sales - and so they've created this section to 'hide' the classics away from the majority, so that they don't learn about how wonderful these old frames are, and that way they won't be tempted to buy an old classic from another source and will instead buy a new frame from TW.

It seems rather clear...

And extremely unfortunate.

plasma
01-29-2009, 11:44 PM
here here Ginny!, I love classics, ...period...no one here hasn't been ridiculed for their valued collections or mockingly berated for playing with good classic vintage....I must be crazy because I'm addicted to freaking classic racquets, how strange is that?...I'm not trying to hide it from anyone though....it excites me when more people know about the quality, history and rarity of the classics...yet 9/10 posts in the regular racquet forum are about newer crap, sweatshop crap, stuff that does not interest me because of the materials, construction headsize etc...the classics are about the feel and experience, as well as an element of magic that exist due to personal history and brand preference....with only intellect and empty suspicion one would be un able to understand our feelings, thoughts,loves, memories and motivations......obscure contrary overintellectualism prevent you from experiencing the joy and truth that others in this community partake in, Deucey...since this is a place that gives you no joy, why don't you leave???....only a fool would stay in a place thaT gave them no joy, simply because they were able to be there or had a right to be there....and only a troll comes to an awesome party where everyone is having a good time and puts a "Deuce" in the punch bowl!!!
everyone who has entered this new community has done so with joy, and with pure intentions, you are the only one to come here with a spirit of pasive agressive negativity....
classic racquet talk is not a greedy collectors scheme, an elitist tw conspiracy, or a discredit to starving children, it's just a firggin vintage racquet forum ....and those of us insane enough to have a genuinely psychotic collection of vintage racquets deserve and love it....
This is the best hobby ever, why are you reaching so hard to find negativities that don't exist???
http://i44.tinypic.com/29m3xxg.jpg
Since you are brilliant and like to expose flaws in others i will guess that you use an eastern forehand and are very consistent...but your consistency and perferction are your flaws, for I have come to net and beaten you with ease...6-1, 6-1

Deuce
01-30-2009, 12:02 AM
My god, how old are you, plasma?
Or how young, rather?

You seem to consider yourself 'clever'... but your posts - aside from making every effort imaginable to run away from and evade the subject - are hopelessly juvenile in flavour.

Intelligent and rational discussion is an impossibility with people like you who attempt to turn everything into a circus...

plasma
01-30-2009, 12:40 AM
at the end of the day Deuce, it is your opinion that this forum will take you more time to navigate, you were very happy with the way things were...I applaud you for speaking your mind...
to over intellectualize it and not take into consideration that 90% of your peers might love it, is absurd...
IMHO this is a wonderful and needed forum, maybe you are right and they are trying to hide and silence interest in vintage racquets...but more likely than not they are just trying to make a sub section as the existing racquet section is so massive and ridiculously long...

I have intelligence and reasoning and am confident that we can discuss this and adress your needs...

It seems that others though have brought attention to your deep negativity, to which you criticize and dismiss them...mere intelligence and reasoning are powerful, yet creating the only negative post about a forum within the forum itself, seemed like a brilliant idea at first but wound up being just another excuse for you to dismiss the ideas of others and judge them as opposed to engaging their views.
At the end of the day it is not an intellectual debate but a matter of preference....I think that you should refrain from judging others in the future...luckily your comments about me were mild, you're obviously one of the smartest people on this forum, you would be heard and respected a lot more if you gave some respect back...I wanted to read through the thread and consider your points but I couldn't ...it turned into a yutube like verbal brawl between you and others,
I don't really see any but a simple point and opinion here, I don't see the issue that you do...
as for my age, Deuce...guess...
http://i43.tinypic.com/16kuibo.jpg

Deuce
01-30-2009, 12:52 AM
You certainly do have a penchant for avoiding facts...

Seems to me that several people in this thread have agreed with my perspective that this segregation is, at best, unnecessary, and, at worst, selfish.

If you can't see that written in their posts, it is likely because you are seeing merely what you wish to see, rather than what is there.

In numerous posts, you have consistently failed to address the issue of this segregated section keeping the classic frames away from others rather than encouraging them to discover them and try them.
You're simply - and selfishly - more interested in what this segregated section brings TO YOU - that it's more 'convenient' TO YOU to have a section where you don't have to scroll down past threads on current racquets.

But I again put forth that those who truly love the classic frames will want to share their knowledge with others and encourage them to try them, rather than to bury the classics in a separate section that the vast majority will never come to - which is precisely what will happen if this segregation of the classic frames continues - guaranteed.

as for my age, Deuce...guess...

16... tops.

plasma
01-30-2009, 01:25 AM
selfishness has never been of interest to me. I think that this seperate section will promote interest in classics....by the way you throw the word "segregation" around one would think that you had never experienced it. I think it's a painfully odd and inapropriate usage of a word..are we "discriminating" against newer racquet as well now???

Rum tum tugger was a curious cat and there isn't any need for me to shout it, for he will do, what he do do, any there's no doing anything about it.
-Mark Twain

Deuce
01-30-2009, 02:02 AM
selfishness has never been of interest to me. I think that this seperate section will promote interest in classics....by the way you throw the word "segregation" around one would think that you had never experienced it. I think it's a painfully odd and inapropriate usage of a word..are we "discriminating" against newer racquet as well now???

Methinks you need to look up the definition of the word segregation.

I have used the word very appropriately and in the proper context.

plasma
01-30-2009, 10:20 AM
your claim that tw is trying to hide classic racquets is a bit of a stretch, eh??? I don't think they feel their market share threatened by the graphite pros that Jet and Bud have, no matter how cool they are...

Deuce
01-31-2009, 12:33 AM
your claim that tw is trying to hide classic racquets is a bit of a stretch, eh??? I don't think they feel their market share threatened by the graphite pros that Jet and Bud have, no matter how cool they are...

You don't know much about business, either, apparently...

VGP
01-31-2009, 06:18 AM
I gotta agree with Deuce on this one. I said so in the "poll" thread...

Ok Deuce, when before I was on the fence, you've convinced me that the segregation is a "bad" idea.

As a lot of people know, my favorite frame is the PS85, but what good is it discussing the frame when only the same people turn up. Not to offend those who've conversed with me over this sub-forum already, but no one "new" has come by.....

At least when easily viewed by more people in the main forum, you'll get the 'young kid' that will ask "what's so special about a St. Vincent" or you'll get the 'older player' that's a new member that will say "I used that frame for many years...."

The traffic here may end up being too low, or just low enough not to spark new discussion......

Although, the counter argument is that the "classic racket" talk gets buried in the main forum.....

Also, since this forum is supported by a major online retailer, cynically I think this could be part of an agenda to intentionally let "classic racket" talk fade into the background.....therefore supporting mostly discussion of current production frames that will definitely lead to sales of their current inventory......

This forum isn't "free" in the sense that you can talk about anything an everything.....why do you think the names of TW's major online retail competitors are screened out? Like *******, ********, *************, etc......(MW, H-bird, T-Xpress, etc)

If people are lead away to sources of frames that are easy competitors to what TW sells, then it's not good for their business. Wood rackets are fine because there's not enough pull away from their APDC sales. They'll let people blah, blah, blah about lead tape, grips, strings.....all of which TW sells, they'll even allow talk about several string machine manufacturers since they haven't expanded that huge in the string machine market, but if you have a machine, you'll more than likely buy strings and rackets......

....so to hide away talk of "classic, easily available frames" is good for TW's business.

VGP
01-31-2009, 06:31 AM
Now, just after posting if you look at the main racket forum, you've got talk of.....a couple trailing thread of "classic" frames.

The rest is about Adidas rackets, AG300, Head microgel mojo, Prince EXOs, and the currently hot kPS88.

The segregation is working in TW's favor even now.

jimbo333
01-31-2009, 07:22 AM
Hi everyone, I'm quite new here, I love classic racquets. They are better made and more fun to play with than many new current racquets. I think they are also better designed and look more impressive!

I really think Deuce, VGP and a few others are missing the point. The fact is that the main racquet forum is second most looked at of any TW forums. It is too busy and needs to be split into 2, so that it will be easier for all of us to follow (especially those that only use it on average once a week, which is probably the majority).

In my opinion the main forum should be:-

Racquets (New, Current)
Racquets (Classic, Discontinued)

Surely most of us would agree with this and this is what we should be argueing for, because we love classic racquets:)

At the moment the Classic subforum is effectively hidden, and many people just don't know about it. Everyday there are many classic threads in the main forum which is confusing and messy. The classic forum is already quite popular, and it would get used more than many forums if it was on the main page, and would not get in the way of the (New, Current) forum which undoubtedly sells stuff for TW.

Come on TW STAFF it would help everyone, we could all follow the forums better and TW would sell more racquets and other stuff. PLEASE have a look at this and make the right decision, go for:-

Racquets (New, Current)

You know it makes sense!!!

TW Staff
01-31-2009, 07:33 AM
Nothing is written in stone here. Let's give this sub forum a chance to see if it works. If not, all posts can be moved back into the Racquet forum and this one removed.

This forum was created at the request of Talk Tennis posters. There is no hidden TW agenda.

Please let everyone have their say and stop the name calling etc. Not everyone is going to agree, but please give everyone the chance to be heard without being flamed.

Chris, TW

plasma
01-31-2009, 09:24 AM
Hey Chris,
I applaud you guys for this gutsy move. I also think that cr talk has increased the pop of the regular forum immensely..., some racquetologists fear that you guys are conspiring to cheat them out of their classics or hide them, I sense the exact opposite, especially if you folks finally decide to give cr talk equal exposure...it's clear that all parties involved really enjoy racquets, ...
as far as getting a certain someone to stop criticizing people, it's in Deuces nature to insult everyone and everything, we put up with it in exchange for his intelligent writing and thoughts, it's obvious he's way off base here though, and reaching,
maybe tw staff could tell us why they created this section, I always guessed it was to increase interest....the criticism has been that you guys are trying to hide something...
"I need someone to show me the things in life that I cant find
I cant see the things that make true happiness, I must be blind"
-Paranoid (Black Sabbath/ Ozzy Ozbourne)

Deuce
01-31-2009, 09:48 PM
Virtually no-one has commented on the most important issue at hand here - that being that having a separate section (or sub-section) for the classics is GUARANTEED to encourage fewer and fewer people to try them.
Again - those who claim to love classic racquets should definitely be wanting to SHARE their knowledge of the classics with others in order to encourage them to discover the classics. This sharing will definitely not happen if classic racquets are segregated away from the regular racquets. That is a 100% guarantee.
The only people coming to a separate 'Classic/Discontinued Racquets' section will be the people who already know about the classics - and this is exactly what we've seen thus far.
Those who have yet to discover the classics will not come here. And so they'll never find out about them.

If you love the classic racquets, you certainly won't want to hide them away from the majority.
If you sincerely love classic frames, you'll want to share and encourage others to discover them.
Period.

I gotta agree with Deuce on this one. I said so in the "poll" thread...

This forum isn't "free" in the sense that you can talk about anything an everything.....why do you think the names of TW's major online retail competitors are screened out? Like *******, ********, *************, etc......(MW, H-bird, T-Xpress, etc)

If people are lead away to sources of frames that are easy competitors to what TW sells, then it's not good for their business. Wood rackets are fine because there's not enough pull away from their APDC sales. They'll let people blah, blah, blah about lead tape, grips, strings.....all of which TW sells, they'll even allow talk about several string machine manufacturers since they haven't expanded that huge in the string machine market, but if you have a machine, you'll more than likely buy strings and rackets......

....so to hide away talk of "classic, easily available frames" is good for TW's business.
^ I agree.

Now, just after posting if you look at the main racket forum, you've got talk of.....a couple trailing thread of "classic" frames.

The rest is about Adidas rackets, AG300, Head microgel mojo, Prince EXOs, and the currently hot kPS88.

The segregation is working in TW's favor even now.
^ Of course it is.

Hi everyone, I'm quite new here, I love classic racquets. They are better made and more fun to play with than many new current racquets. I think they are also better designed and look more impressive!

I really think Deuce, VGP and a few others are missing the point. The fact is that the main racquet forum is second most looked at of any TW forums. It is too busy and needs to be split into 2, so that it will be easier for all of us to follow (especially those that only use it on average once a week, which is probably the majority).

In my opinion the main forum should be:-

Racquets (New, Current)

Surely most of us would agree with this and this is what we should be argueing for, because we love classic racquets:)

At the moment the Classic subforum is effectively hidden, and many people just don't know about it. Everyday there are many classic threads in the main forum which is confusing and messy. The classic forum is already quite popular, and it would get used more than many forums if it was on the main page, and would not get in the way of the (New, Current) forum which undoubtedly sells stuff for TW.

Come on TW STAFF it would help everyone, we could all follow the forums better and TW would sell more racquets and other stuff. PLEASE have a look at this and make the right decision, go for:-

Racquets (New, Current)

You know it makes sense!!!
^ If anyone is clearly missing the point, it is you.

Nothing is written in stone here. Let's give this sub forum a chance to see if it works. If not, all posts can be moved back into the Racquet forum and this one removed.
^ I hope that's sincere, and not merely designed to appease those of us who disagree with the segregation.

Also... what method will you use to determine if it "works" or not?
Number of posts merely? Or will you actually consider the direct effects of this segregation - like that it will keep the classics away from those who have yet to discover them?

Will TW sales figures be used to evaluate and assess whether this segregation is "working" or not?
Ahh... nevermind that last question - I already know the answer you'll give.

This forum was created at the request of Talk Tennis posters. There is no hidden TW agenda.
^ I won't dispute that it was created at the request of a poster (gee - could that poster be the one who is doing everything possible to defend and justify the existence of this section?).
I do, however, certainly question if more than one poster separately requested it without the knowledge of the other(s) requesting it.

And I don't for a second believe that TW does not see the segregation as a means of selling more currently stocked racquets.
Not for a second.
You guys aren't that dumb.

Hey Chris,
I applaud you guys for this gutsy move. I also think that cr talk has increased the pop of the regular forum immensely..., some racquetologists fear that you guys are conspiring to cheat them out of their classics or hide them, I sense the exact opposite, especially if you folks finally decide to give cr talk equal exposure...
^ Talk about brown-nosing!
And applying incredible "spin"...

as far as getting a certain someone to stop criticizing people, it's in Deuces nature to insult everyone and everything, we put up with it in exchange for his intelligent writing and thoughts, it's obvious he's way off base here though, and reaching,
maybe tw staff could tell us why they created this section, I always guessed it was to increase interest....the criticism has been that you guys are trying to hide something...
"I need someone to show me the things in life that I cant find
I cant see the things that make true happiness, I must be blind"
-Paranoid (Black Sabbath/ Ozzy Ozbourne)
^ No sooner does Chris ask everyone to be civil... you come up with this post.

As for your incredibly erroneous claim that it's "obvious" that I am "way off base here" - well, why then have so many people agreed with me on this issue, then? And these are intelligent people - as one can tell from the way they write.

Meanwhile, you persist in demanding that this be kept your own little exclusive section.
How very convenient of you to pretend that everyone agrees with you, though - which is a clear sign of desperation and a way of manipulating things to make things appear different than they actually are.

Not surprising at all.

jimbo333
02-01-2009, 03:09 PM
Deuce in my opinion i am not missing the point at all.

There is a poll so far:-

Supporting Classic Racquet talk - 18 votes
Not supporting - 5 votes

People do want it, because we love classic racquets and the main racquet forum is too busy, and it makes sense to seperate it. But it needs to be on main page as:-

Racquets (New, Current)

At the moment it is hidden, and people just do not know about it. I'm sure TW Staff are not meaning to hide it, but it is effectively hidden, that's why classic racquets threads are being posted daily in the main racquet forum. For everyone it would benefit to have on main page:-

Racquets (New, Current)
Racquets (Classic , Discontinued)

Come on TW Staff, go for this!!!
I'm guessing most people who read this will agree, give it a real chance, by featuring on main page?

Deuce
02-01-2009, 06:21 PM
^ Takes a pure genius to make that statement...

Interesting how you're supposedly a brand new poster, yet you're so adamant about this subject.
Interesting and... highly suspicious.

You, of course, have not contributed one word of commentary on the fact that by segregating 'classic racquets' away from the rest of the racquets, it inherently also serves to rob all but the already converted of knowledge about the classics and of encouragement to try them.
But it's not surprising that you refuse to comment on that very significant element.

Not supporting - 5 votes
Yeah - those would be the typical poll results when only a convenient and certain segment of the population is consulted.

If you think that a simplistic - and very limited - poll is the be-all and end-all of this issue, you belong in politics.

People do want it, because we love classic racquets and the main racquet forum is too busy, and it makes sense to seperate it. But it needs to be on main page as:-

Racquets (New, Current)
Right - damn the inherent consequences. As long as YOU'RE happy, that's all that matters.
Typical...

At the moment it is hidden, and people just do not know about it. I'm sure TW Staff are not meaning to hide it, but it is effectively hidden, that's why classic racquets threads are being posted daily in the main racquet forum. For everyone it would benefit to have on main page:-

Racquets (New, Current)

Whether it is a sub-forum, or a stand-alone forum, if lassic Racquets are separated from the main racquets section, the only people coming into the Classic section will be those who already know about the magic of these classic frames. It'll be nothing more than preaching to the converted, and bragging.
The people who have not yet discovered the classics will not visit the Classic section. They will thus never learn about the classics.
Unlike you, I'm thinking of others, not just myself.

I'm guessing most people who read this will agree, give it a real chance, by featuring on main page?
Oh, goodie - a cheerleader.
That's all we need...
sigh...

Indeed it is quite nteresting how you're supposedly a brand new poster, yet you're so adamant about this subject.
As I said - interesting and... highly suspicious.

jimbo333
02-02-2009, 09:37 AM
Hi again Deuce,

I am new to this forum, I am from the UK, near London in England actually!

I joined in November 2008, but only started posting this week, as have been really busy at work, I'm one of many that only have time to check forums once a week normally (am on holiday this week). That's why I'm so passionate about having them split into :-

Racquets (New, Current)

This would make it easier for everyone to view/use. The reason only limited people use this Classic forum is because it is hidden as Subforum. If it was highly visible on main page and still only certain people use it, then I would agree you would be right. But we don't know, it needs to given a chance surely?

Anyway, am not going to discuss this anymore, I think have made my point clearly. Am going to go and buy a digital camera, and start posting photos of my great classic racquet collection.

By the way, I think you are hilarious (in a good way), please keep up the entertaining posts!

VGP
02-02-2009, 04:19 PM
I don't get the impression that this is really working as a sub-forum.

The traffic is relatively low and the posters are, by in large, the same people (no offense meant). Barring comments on new pics, bursts of new discussion from numerous members are few.

Besides, there are people still posting new threads that are clearly focused on "classic/discontinued" frames in the main racket forum.

Either put it side by side like jimbo333 and others suggest, or keep all the racket talk in one forum.

Virginia
02-02-2009, 04:29 PM
I agree, this MUST be on the main index page, NEXT to the main racquet forum - please TW - help us out here.

gymrat76
02-02-2009, 04:43 PM
I agree, this MUST be on the main index page, NEXT to the main racquet forum - please TW - help us out here.

virginia, i never saw your nick in tw forums, until i noticed it for the first time in classic racqs.. :)
this sub-section must be a rejuvenating experience :)

Bud
02-02-2009, 07:57 PM

Yes, everybody reading this... the Graphite Pros are absolutely horrible racquets and to anybody who feels burdened by this old, decrepit and pathetic excuse of a frame, I'll take them just to make your life easier :)

Bud
02-02-2009, 08:02 PM

Not supporting - 5 votes

Racquets (New, Current)

Racquets (New, Current)
Racquets (Classic , Discontinued)

Agreed... :)

Bud
02-02-2009, 08:03 PM

Agreed. Tucking this forum away so no one can find it is rather pointless.

retrowagen
02-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Agreed. Tucking this forum away so no one can find it is rather pointless.

And, frankly, the "noise to signal ratio" from certain parties has become so annoying to me now, I've decided to take a sabbatical from this forum.

Radical Shot
02-07-2009, 02:15 AM
The only type of posts I write are intelligent posts.
This would explain why you don't understand.

Gold! Deuce, why don't you have this as your signature?

I can't believe people can so worked up about an on-line forum that discusses tennis racquets! Hasn't the internet brought us some interesting insights into humanity?

galain
02-07-2009, 02:26 AM
I only found this forum this morning and was excited enough to post a thank you to TW - didn't even see this thread. On looking through it I can appreciate the points raised against and I do agree it is always nice to spread the joy amongst people who might never think to try an older frame.

For me though, i often find that I miss discussions, as i don't log in everyday and the main racquet board is pretty busy. Sometimes I may find a thread i started 3 pages back - and I don't always have the time to spend going through numerous pages to find discussions of interest.

But hey - as long as there are ongoing discussions of the classics somewhere, I'm happy.

PS - Radical! Haven't seen you in a looong time mate. how's life?

Radical Shot
02-07-2009, 02:42 AM
PS - Radical! Haven't seen you in a looong time mate. how's life?

Hey Galain!

Yes, it's been awhile. Haven't been to the Aussie Open for a few years now, so we're overdue for another hit by a long shot. Still slugging it out with the ProStaff 6.0.85. Had a temporary fling back to the TiRadicals for awhile, but keep coming back to the "Pete".

I saw one of those Rossignols you have (Wilander?) on **** not so long ago. I was going to contact you about it, but it slipped my mind and it went. You probably already purchased it right?

Anyway, I'm all for this board.

Remember that day we got on the court and you had that huge bag of "classic racquets"? That was one of my most memorable days of tennis hitting ever. Just trying out all of those racquets from those early transition days from wood to graphite (via aluminium and magnesium) was terrific. Bring 'em back I say.

Have to catch up soon for another hit.

Virginia
02-07-2009, 02:53 AM
Ah Radical, I don't know you, but if you happen to live in Sydney, I'd love to meet you (along with AndrewD) to really get down to classics business.

I'll be in Sydney latish March for a week, as I'm going to the "Ken Rosewall Tennis Day" being held at the museum there. Rosewall is my ultimate tennis idol and of course, I have the racquets he played with in my collection - including the Seamco Rosewall - in mint condition too. :)

Virginia
02-07-2009, 03:03 AM
It's late here, so I'm a bit slow on the uptake, but galain, I imagine you must be Australian too, so if you also happen to live in Sydney, we should all meet for a coffee somewhere.

In fact, last time I was in Sydney I met up with a T-W poster, we first had a coffee, then had lunch, and I ended up buying nine racquets from him!

Anzacs unite!

Radical Shot
02-07-2009, 03:17 AM
It's late here, so I'm a bit slow on the uptake, but galain, I imagine you must be Australian too, so if you also happen to live in Sydney, we should all meet for a coffee somewhere.

In fact, last time I was in Sydney I met up with a T-W poster, we first had a coffee, then had lunch, and I ended up buying nine racquets from him!

Anzacs unite!

Virginia - sounds good to me. Just read your story on your webpage. You've picked up some real bargains along the way. A Prestige Pro for a few bucks!!? You and Galain would get along just fine.

Anyway, why not start a new thread for the first ever "Classic Racquet meeting in Sydney". Everyone brings their gear and we slug it out....and "Talk tennis".

galain
02-07-2009, 04:46 AM
Oh Guys - you're making my heart weep. I'd love to but I've been living in Europe since march last year! If you're ever over this way though, and care to try some real slow European clay, please don't hesitate. Good beer here too, Radical!

(and Virginia, I'm half Kiwi, so you KNOW I'm decent!)

Virginia
02-07-2009, 02:55 PM
Radical, yes I'll do that and galain, it's nice to know you're half Kiwi. :)

Radical Shot
02-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Radical, yes I'll do that and galain, it's nice to know you're half Kiwi. :)

Actually, I too am half a Kiwi, heralding from Tinwald way....

adams_1
02-07-2009, 05:48 PM
To those who think the only people who visit this sub-forum are people who already collect or use "Classic" racquets, I think you'll find that this isn't the case.

I know nothing about old racquets, and I really don't own any, but I come in here to learn and appreciate, and now I want to start looking for good old frames myself :)

Virginia
02-07-2009, 08:13 PM
That's great, adams_1 - I'm sure if you find one (or hopefully more), you'll discover how much nicer they are to play with than the present offerings, which for the most part, are pretty crappy and greatly overpriced. It's great fun too, delving into Salvation Army and hospice shops and seeing what you can find - there are some real bargains to be had in places like that.

Another Ozzie bloke, good on yer mate! :)

plasma
02-07-2009, 08:45 PM
That's right Virginia, the emperor has no clothes. Top players even use pj's of the classics...you said it perfectly.

prostaff junkie
05-30-2011, 02:35 AM
Just found this thread..........very amusing.

2 clicks from the main page, so complicated......took at least 5 seconds.

This issue really needs addressing..........lol.

Roadway
05-30-2011, 07:22 AM
I love this subsection and visit it more frequently than the other subsections.

vwfye
06-01-2011, 10:33 AM
This is the only area I 'frequent'... the others are visited rarely. But, because TW has this section, I actually visit their site when my students are looking for a new stick.

SVP
06-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Just found this thread..........very amusing.

2 clicks from the main page, so complicated......took at least 5 seconds.

This issue really needs addressing..........lol. Thanks for reviving this thread. I remember reading through the progression of this thread back when I first started to post on the TT boards and feeling surprised at how antagonistic posters were toward each other, even on a message board about classic racquets for heaven sakes! But then I found myself sucked into and contributing to the quagmire of destructive TW message board tit for tat noise, and for that I'm truly remorseful. I'm striving to be better.

Classic Racquets section has usually been a sanctuary for me. People are usually very civil here (Virginia always), and have a longstanding appreciation and respect for the game. I love reminiscing with the old school people about the good ol' days, like when we drank drinking fountain water from our metal tennis ball cans during breaks on the tennis court.

michael_1265
06-02-2011, 03:32 AM
I love reminiscing with the old school people about the good ol' days, like when we drank drinking fountain water from our metal tennis ball cans during breaks on the tennis court.

The old days? I forgot water a while back at a club with no on-court water, and I rinsed out a couple of ball cans and filled them at the fountain. I think our 20-something opponents were psyched by the crazy middle-aged guy drinking out of tennis ball cans. Fortified water-drinking sissies. As an added bonus, all of those chemical additives they use to make the felt more durable added an appealing tang, not unlike Jersey tap water.

vwfye
06-02-2011, 11:34 AM
I remember drinking yellow fuzz water! It tastes much better from a tin can than from a plastic can ;)