PDA

View Full Version : Stringing help

Jackie T. Stephens
01-24-2009, 08:18 AM
I recently learned how to string a month ago and I'm pretty good at it now, takes me a whole hour to string a racket which isn't that bad, anyways I use to use a cheap synthetic sets and I use one set for a main and the other set for the crosses, I just got the new luxilon string but it's a set. I only have one set and want to use it for the whole racket, I have tried using a set for a whole racket but on the mains and I couldn't tension the last string because I only had enough string to tie a knot, is that supposed to happen? because string is usually 40 feet so I cut both in the middle so I have 20 by 20, how can I string the whole set with one racket?

Mansewerz
01-24-2009, 08:35 AM
I recently learned how to string a month ago and I'm pretty good at it now, takes me a whole hour to string a racket which isn't that bad, anyways I use to use a cheap synthetic sets and I use one set for a main and the other set for the crosses, I just got the new luxilon string but it's a set. I only have one set and want to use it for the whole racket, I have tried using a set for a whole racket but on the mains and I couldn't tension the last string because I only had enough string to tie a knot, is that supposed to happen? because string is usually 40 feet so I cut both in the middle so I have 20 by 20, how can I string the whole set with one racket?

Some racquets use 21' mains and 18' crosses

Jackie T. Stephens
01-24-2009, 08:38 AM
18 by 20 I'm using K blade 98

Bash and Crash
01-24-2009, 10:30 AM
that's odd, wilson website says mains only need 16' so you should've had plenty of string, I usually string wilson's in one full piece when using the same string, 10' for short side and should have plenty for the rest of racket. True on the 21' mansewerz my first string job on my speedport's was a nightmare, came up a few inches short.

Bash and Crash
01-24-2009, 10:33 AM
Jackie, double check the length just in case, but you should have plenty of string if you 20' and have 10' for each side of mains.

william7gr
01-24-2009, 11:01 AM
Do you have a starting clamp?

yebo
01-24-2009, 11:03 AM
If he is stringing with klipper instructions, he will need a good 21' for mains especially with a string that doesnt stretch. You should be fine with 18' for kblade 98 crosses.

mikeler
01-24-2009, 12:24 PM
There is a website out there which lists string lengths needed for most rackets. Wish I bookmarked the site :(

Mansewerz
01-24-2009, 01:05 PM
There is a website out there which lists string lengths needed for most rackets. Wish I bookmarked the site :(

klipperusa.com

mikeler
01-24-2009, 03:07 PM
Thanks, got it bookmarked now.

jim e
01-24-2009, 04:28 PM

That racquet takes 21' for the mains, and 19' for the crosses, all listed in the USRSA Digest, and even as 1 piece it is listed to have 10' 6" for the short side . If you were able to tie the knot, then all you needed to do was to bridge a scrap piece of string using a starting clamp, to finish tensioning, and then tie off. A starting clamp is a cheap enough tool to have and has a good # of uses, and in this instance could have saved you the string job!Personally I would not hit with a racquet with the last mains not tensioned at all, as tension would be lost across the entire stringbed of mains.If I know the strings are not perfect, I would be thinking of that, and would mess me up regardless.
To answer your question you need a starting clamp and use as bridge and you can use the 20'.But if you want the entire racquet strung with the 40' set, then I would have cut 21' for mains as listed as length needed, and use the remainder, 19', for the crosses, which is the length listed for that racquet, or string as a 1 piece, and use the 40' uncut, and use 10'6" for the short side as listed.
When you are not sure of length needed, you are always best to look it up before you cut it.

Bash and Crash
01-24-2009, 07:21 PM
That racquet takes 21' for the mains, and 19' for the crosses, all listed in the USRSA Digest, and even as 1 piece it is listed to have 10' 6" for the short side . If you were able to tie the knot, then all you needed to do was to bridge a scrap piece of string using a starting clamp, to finish tensioning, and then tie off. A starting clamp is a cheap enough tool to have and has a good # of uses, and in this instance could have saved you the string job!Personally I would not hit with a racquet with the last mains not tensioned at all, as tension would be lost across the entire stringbed of mains.If I know the strings are not perfect, I would be thinking of that, and would mess me up regardless.
To answer your question you need a starting clamp and use as bridge and you can use the 20'.But if you want the entire racquet strung with the 40' set, then I would have cut 21' for mains as listed as length needed, and use the remainder, 19', for the crosses, which is the length listed for that racquet, or string as a 1 piece, and use the 40' uncut, and use 10'6" for the short side as listed.
When you are not sure of length needed, you are always best to look it up before you cut it.

interesting info from USRSA, the Wilson stringing is not too helpful if it is off by that much..from their website.Blade 98 39' 10'6" 21'x19' 50-60 18x20

ag200boy
01-24-2009, 07:59 PM
interesting info from USRSA, the Wilson stringing is not too helpful if it is off by that much..from their website.Blade 98 39' 10'6" 21'x19' 50-60 18x20

thats not off at all

dancraig
01-24-2009, 10:17 PM
If you are using a Klippermate and don't have a starting clamp for a bridge, the Klippermate clamp makes a good bridge. Just put the too short string in one side and a scrap piece in the other.

dancraig
01-24-2009, 10:24 PM

http://www.stringforum.net/patterns.php

There are a lot of links on this page.

jim e
01-25-2009, 07:06 AM

That is not off at all. The 39' is for 1 piece, with 10'6" for short side,(if 10'6" needed for s.s. then 21' is needed for mains total), and USRSA lists that the same, and just like you posted 21' is mains, and 19' is crosses for 2 piece. No difference! As you can see nothing is off. You need 40' if stringing 2 piece, and OP cut his in 2- 20' pieces before looking up what he needed, therefore best to use starting clamp as I mentioned, as that would work , as he had enought to tie off without tensioning last main, and ? why he would do that, I would have at least tied a scrap string if I did not have a starting clamp, and hope it would hold, or chalk it up to experience, and cut out the strings.

Jackie T. Stephens
01-25-2009, 08:45 AM

More money to spend? egh..

jim e
01-25-2009, 09:26 AM
More money to spend? egh..

Well, a good starting clamp only costs $36.00+ s&h, a small price to pay. It would have saved you that lux. job already, and you have only been stringing a month. Over time you will use it, and is a good investment if you continue to string, in my opinion.
Also if you get a starting clamp, get a good one, not a cheap one, as you get what you pay for. There have been posts on this topic before.
BTW, From your origional post you said you cut both in half, why did you do that to two sets, yet alone one.

Bash and Crash
01-25-2009, 09:05 PM
thats not off at all

what I meant was the Wilson website says 16' for mains and USRSA has 21' that is a HUGE difference......