View Full Version : Prince Mono

khw72004
01-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Just something I have

http://i43.tinypic.com/2unzfir.jpg

Plastic is off but its never been strung

bumfluff
01-24-2009, 02:18 PM
No wonder Fed lost at the AO last year playing with that thing. It almost looks like a badminton racket.

Mick
01-24-2009, 02:23 PM
No wonder Fed lost at the AO last year playing with that thing. It almost looks like a badminton racket.

fed never played with the prince mono :)
it was jimmy connors who used it.

bumfluff
01-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Then why does everyone say he lost because he played with Mono?

Maybe he had his K90 PJ'd? I didn't get a chance to take a close look.

Tofi
01-24-2009, 02:27 PM
the handle up to the start of the head makes it look squash like beacuse its thicket than a badminton thingy but the head makes it look like an over sized badminton racket.

bumfluff
01-24-2009, 02:37 PM
Squashminton? Maybe it was made so that people didn't need so many rackets to play racketlon.

Capt. Willie
01-24-2009, 06:58 PM

fed never played with the prince mono :)
it was jimmy connors who used it.

Then why does everyone say he lost because he played with Mono?

Okay, that was good. :) Just as I was thinking: "is this guy stupid or something?" Great set-up and punch-line...but what if Mick never took the bait?

bumfluff
01-25-2009, 02:23 AM
It was so good that I knew someone would take the bait. ;) Or someone would actually see the joke straight away.

Harry_Wild
01-26-2009, 05:02 PM
I had this racket for two weeks and so it! it was weird racket. At the time the head size was near 100 sq. ins too! Weight was such that it was hard for me to generate much power off it!

I got back close to what I paid for the racket which was around $160 not including the string and stringing.

In D Zone
01-30-2009, 09:39 AM
Play my pair of Mono's every summer!

Love the power and control these puppies deliver! The only wierd part was holding the throat with my non hitting hand (1hbh) - the mono shaft felt like I was wielding a tiny bone. LOL!

plasma
02-05-2009, 10:59 AM
weilding a tiny bone eh???never had that feeling myself...
http://i44.tinypic.com/9ux1jl.jpg
plasma on vacation in Holland!

gonzalocatalino
05-16-2009, 07:57 AM
i just got an used pair of those freaks!

I will try them next week probably...

Mick
05-16-2009, 03:28 PM
i just got an used pair of those freaks!

I will try them next week probably...

it looks nice/different. you probably will like it at first but after a while, you will find that the mono shaft does not perform as well as it looks.

dataseviltwin
05-16-2009, 07:11 PM
it's the only frame Connors played with that I ever liked after hitting with it... can't say I tried the Estusa though... This one much better than any of the TX000 series.

dataseviltwin
05-16-2009, 07:12 PM

10 characters :twisted:

Mick
05-16-2009, 09:03 PM
it's the only frame Connors played with that I ever liked after hitting with it... can't say I tried the Estusa though... This one much better than any of the TX000 series.

yeah but connors won grand slam titles with the t2000 :shock:
a person with such a skill could pick up any racquet (such as the prince mono) and turn it into a deadly weapon :)

speaking for myself, i think the prince mono is nice to look at but i would prefer using something else, if i am going to play with a good player.

plasma
05-17-2009, 12:55 AM
I went from the rd ti 70 to the mono, both new, both purchased by phone from an a tw ad in the back of tennis mag (tohdah eemah!). For me the mono will always mark the day the graphite died. By the time I was 13 I already had quite a few racquets, panther pro ceramic, bard jade fire, head trysis 600, spectrum comp, head txe X2, rossignol f250, xrc, etc....
I could tell that the Prince felt like soft stool. Every single racquet made after that had the same crap graphite, that POG tour feeling, that ncode feeling, that hollow light feeling, that microgel sweatshop ping.
The prince mono was made on the day, the day the graphite died...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEWLZaaGF9M&feature=PlayList&p=4EC83AB9E190E4E2&index=0
singin bye bye missus tel aviv pie
drove my prius to the sweatshop but the racquet wall's dry
the good ol boy$ makin racquets in Chi-na
singin this'll be the racquets die, this'll be the day racquet$ die....
http://i43.tinypic.com/120h5vp.jpg
how I felt after hitting with the mono....

vwfye
05-18-2009, 10:13 PM
i must be an odd ball then... I LOVE my Monos and use them playing doubles alot! great control, no issue with power and they serve/volley with ease.

plasma
05-19-2009, 12:24 AM
awesome point Mitt, (Mr. Rocker) although not taken by the lack of feel stability and plough thru, I took one out recently and was able to hit some angles with slice serves with the mono which could not be performed with other conventional racquets; ever. What a fun doubles stick!, at some points it feels like a total extension of the arm.
I still think that the collapse of the traditional family structure and erosion of old American values was intentionally caused by the Prince mono....as beautiful unique, and revolutionary as she is....why didn't they ever make a mono with a smaller head??? 32 million in sales and they couldn't afford a five thousand dollar mold for a midsize version??? just another plot my brothers, another plot to keep the midsize man down!!!!

Bud
05-19-2009, 12:29 AM

These contraptions aren't for the pee-shy! :shock:

plasma
05-19-2009, 12:44 AM
yeah I got that pic off the interent, just absurd if you ask me. the guy who made the original point about "weilding his tiny bone" had an observant thought: for a mono shaft the shaft of the Prince mono was...well...thin. Weilding it doesn't quite feel natural.
like when plasma grabs his wood ( those rare times when Anna is on vacation). Mono was a great idea, what a shame they didn't explore it further, seemed like wilson and prince both tried to balance cashing in on the endorsement of Connors and claiming he helped design their frames, with trying to make frames that would appeal to the masses...racquet companies always seem to answer to their guess of what the consumer wants; and then claim the pro designed it himself exactly to his specs....

Mick
05-19-2009, 05:11 PM
...although not taken by the lack of feel stability and plough thru...

that is exactly what i dislike about this racquet. I didn't notice it until i had played with for a while and then switched to a conventional racquet. In the beginning, it felt great.

vwfye
05-19-2009, 05:26 PM
ah, they make this great thing called lead tape! my racquets are HEAVY and yet still are swift. Plasma, if they Mono was an 88 or 90 I would say all is right with the world as well. That is the only part of the Mono I don't like... too big in the head!

plasma
05-19-2009, 10:45 PM
i have calibrated my natural forehand to need an 83- 84 square inch racquet. I estimate that every square inch above that makes the ball go half a foot to a foot long....customizing just doesn't do it for me....where have all the midsize gone??? you'll find me wandering the negro thrift stores at closing time hysterical naked, looking for an anrgy fix, I've seen the best graphite of my generation lost to mid-plus sweatshopped madness....in the hollow eyed supernatural machinery of a radiant night....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWqHlcAmBeA