PDA

View Full Version : Fedex looks vulnerable this yr.

borisboris
02-24-2005, 07:14 AM
Recently he's winning matches that are close 3rd set TB. This is a far cry from last years dominating performance Jan-Dec. Tony Roache - Mirka - cocky - field catching up to him? I've watched some of his matches on DVD and noticed that he lunges quite a bit and his body won't allow him to do that for long - especially if he has longer matches than last yr.

davey25
02-24-2005, 07:17 AM
I agree he has let his game slip. His AO semifinal loss to Safin was an early hint, and it has gotten more evident since then. I think he needs to sit down and evaluate where things are going. It is fairly likely he could win no slams this year if he doesnt get a full time coach by the end of the year.

spinbalz
02-24-2005, 07:24 AM
Davey25 wrote : "His AO semifinal loss to Safin was an early hint, and it has gotten more evident since then"

"Since then" Ferer won all the matches he played, and you call it an evidence that his game tends to slips ?????

fantom
02-24-2005, 07:26 AM
This could be true, but it wouldn't take much for the Federer Express to get rolling again. With his kind of talent, it would only take a tough win or two to get his confidence back to where it was. He has won a few titles this year already, so he's not playing badly...

VictorS.
02-24-2005, 07:32 AM
I guess it's difficult to judge what's the problem because most of us haven't seen these last couple matches vs. Lubicic and Minar. However, I would be interested to see how these guys played Federer. I wonder if there's some kind of scouting report going around tour after fed lost to safin. Safin just recently hinted that he sees a minor weakness in his game that might give one hope. Perhaps he's already spilled the beans.

Fred The Red
02-24-2005, 08:06 AM
c'mon guys,
he won last week the tournament in Ahoy,
ok, he had to play 3 sets...what's the big deal?

Rabbit
02-24-2005, 08:19 AM
I also wouldn't discount the ability of the rest of the field to catch him. Historically, once a player has had a banner year, they usually find it very hard indeed to follow it up with another one as good.

NoBadMojo
02-24-2005, 08:36 AM
last year people said he is invinceable and this year people say he is vulnerable 45 days into the year and mostly because of a loss to Safin who didnt have his normal meltdown and played out of his mind. Fed was also trying new things at the AO including implementing a drop shot which we might agree he didnt really hit at all last year, and I would think Roche has him more conscious of being at net more..sometimes in order to improve, you take a little step backwards as you add to and improve your arsenal..i think Fed knows he wont be able to rest on his laurels if being the best is still important to him..i give him credit for still learning the game and not being so stubborn that he wont change, unlike som eother players who were too stubborn or didnt have talent enough to do new things.

Vlad
02-24-2005, 08:41 AM
He does look more vulnarable this year, particularly last couple of weeks. Maybe he is just tired a little bit but his dominant level is not there. So, this match against Ferrero who sounds very confident at the moment is very crucial to Roger. If he wins easily, then he might gain more confidence but if he struggles then I predict it won't be as easy for him as it was last year.

Rickson
02-24-2005, 09:03 AM
Like I said before, Roger's just practicing how to get out of holes. Roger is practicing while playing in tournaments that aren't as important as slams so he could dig himself out of a real hole if he got into one at a slam. Roger's just as good as he ever was, he's just using these minor tournaments as practice sessions.

Camilio Pascual
02-24-2005, 09:12 AM
Let's not get too excited. Even the great ones in great years lose half a dozen matches or more.

alan-n
02-24-2005, 09:44 AM
Everyone who thinks he is more vulnerable this year seems to be over reacting a little bit. Federer throughout the course of last year struggled through matches throughout many tournaments.

Example, last years Hamburg final vs Coria where he was not on top of his game for the first two sets. Toronto masters where he was completely out of rythm until the last set or when he got to the finals vs Roddick. You could argue the same in the Houston master's VS Safin in the 2nd set, but that should/is attributed that to Safin's great play.

The bottom line was that Federer found a way to win last year when he was stuggling, if he did not he would have easily lost an additional 10 matches last year.

Federer is human, he will struggle on more than a few occasions.... but he does have the superhuman ability to lift his game to put pressure on the opponent when he is down match point or down 0-40 to come up with big aces and winners. Even in the loss vs Safin Federer hit big winners to force Safin to finally come up with the shot to end it.... 7 match points.

Things are never as good as they seem, nor they are as bad.

daniel_rst
02-24-2005, 09:45 AM
I actually wrote a little article about this recently. There is no evidence he is slipping yet. The occaisional loss is perfectly normal in any career. To put things in perspective, he has only lost one match in the last 6 months and people are overreacting.

He had several "bad" losses in 2004, including:

05/03/04 Costa, A. (ESP ) 3-6, 6-3, 6-2 Rome TMS
08/16/04 Berdych, T. (CZE ) 4-6, 7-5, 7-5 Athens Oly
08/02/04 Hrbaty, D. (SVK ) 1-6, 7-6, 6-4 Cincinnati
03/22/04 Nadal, R. (ESP ) 6-3, 6-3 Miami TMS
05/24/04 Kuerten, G. (BRA ) 6-4, 6-4, 6-4 Roland Gar

Just because of his amazing GS performance in 2004, people forget that he was beatable even then. He did lose on occaision!

Here is the link to the article:

http://www.setratings.com/content/view/40/2/

Serve-And-Volley
02-24-2005, 09:55 AM
I think Federer is still the great player he was last year but I think he is under a lot more pressure, being defending champion and hearing all these things about him being the one to win the Grand Slam, would make any man nervous. I think that he is trying new things which has already been pointed (such as volleying more and using the drop shot). I don't think that Federer wasn't that vunerable in his AO semi, I think the problem was Marat Safin was having a extremely good day.

alan-n
02-24-2005, 10:00 AM
I think the problem was Marat Safin was having a extremely good day.

I mentioned it before but... Safin simply no way no how was going to go to his birthday party with a loss that night.

sandiegotennisboy
02-24-2005, 10:06 AM
geesh. that match with safin was mindblowing. it takes even great players to dig really deep to actually win against fed as evidenced by that match. it doesnt really matter to me that fed struggles with a no-name, just that he's still the champion he is and wins the match. at the end, its the W that matters. even other great champions at their prime have close matches.

Nyl
02-24-2005, 10:30 AM
if u guys look at federer's games this year closely enough, u can tell he's just practicing in the early rounds, right, even in AO. He tried to S&V more often than his usual game... for him those are practices dun even need him to play like the way he does to agassi and safin... but once he found his opponents, he steps up n play at his own level.... that's the reason why he has good record against top players (straight sets against agasi) and occasionally lost or close win in early rounds due to some part of underestimation.