PDA

View Full Version : How to hit moonballs.

The_Steak
01-24-2009, 05:04 PM
Today, while I was playing my semi finals match in the tournament, I kept on hitting just hard balls and many winners. I know I can beat him, but late in the first set, he started pushing and hitting moon balls. When I hit one of my really hard balls he would hit it high and it would bounce about 6 feet and when I tried to hit a hard winner it would go out. when I tried flattening it out it would go in to the net. I probally made about 30-40 UEs. When I took off pace he could reach the ball and hit lobs...

Was I just having a bad day? Or how can you get the ball down?

Most balls were either hitting the baseline or missing by about a foot.

LeeD
01-24-2009, 05:07 PM
Good your opponent throws up DEEP moonballs.
So next shot, when you know he's tossing one up, you move quickly up to almost the service line and overhead his moonball away.
You CAN hit overheads, can't you?
And if it's a little low, just high volley deep down the line and move just inside the service line waiting for another moon/lob ball.
Some say crush the shorthop, but we call cannot be Mr.Agassi.

The_Steak
01-24-2009, 05:12 PM
I can hit overheads most of the time. I missed 2-3 overheads that match.

Btw, most of the balls I would say were between the service line and no mans land.

LeeD
01-24-2009, 05:15 PM
2-3 missed overheads is hardly anything, if you hit 40 or so a match against moonballers.
Try to take high volleys on your stronger side, usually the forehand side, as weak volley approaches from no man's land invites disaster.
Think OFFENCE, and taking away his chances for defense.

Ballinbob
01-24-2009, 05:37 PM
Good question

Did you try looping the ball deep with some topspin or taking it early? It seems to me this would be a good approach to this type of play.

kelz
01-24-2009, 09:53 PM
There are perhaps two million threads on dealing the pusher/moonballer.

Okazaki Fragment
01-24-2009, 11:00 PM
Today, while I was playing my semi finals match in the tournament, I kept on hitting just hard balls and many winners. I know I can beat him, but late in the first set, he started pushing and hitting moon balls. When I hit one of my really hard balls he would hit it high and it would bounce about 6 feet and when I tried to hit a hard winner it would go out. when I tried flattening it out it would go in to the net. I probally made about 30-40 UEs. When I took off pace he could reach the ball and hit lobs...

Was I just having a bad day? Or how can you get the ball down?

Most balls were either hitting the baseline or missing by about a foot.

It's much harder to hit shots at shoulder level than at your strike zone (waist level).

The_Steak
01-25-2009, 12:13 AM
There are perhaps two million threads on dealing the pusher/moonballer.

I was talking about hitting shoulder high shots. Not beating a moonballer.

supertrex
01-25-2009, 06:42 AM
What surface are you guys playing?

Moonballs with back spin on clay is really annoying. It dont bounce forward more like on hardcourt.

Bud
01-25-2009, 06:52 AM

First, what is your playing level?

Second, you're playing a pusher. Reader the thread about playing pushers.

Third, be more aggressive. He can't dictate play if he's on the defensive.

Bud
01-25-2009, 06:57 AM

The title of your thread is "How to hit moonballs".

If the shots are bouncing shoulder high at the baseline, you received a moonball. Either back up and take it lower or hit it out of the air.

Option 3 is don't give your opponent the opportunity to moonball you. Hit it to his/her backhand with some good topspin on it so it bounces uncomfortably high to your opponent's backhand. If they can effectively moonball you off that shot... then just hang up the towel :)

LeeD
01-25-2009, 08:44 AM
I"m sorry, the Steak...
If YOU want to hit high bouncers, just hit topspin lots, but make it bounce deep onto your opponent's court. A good topspin "lob" landing within 2' of the baseline MUST be shorthopped, or it goes 10' against the backdrop.
Now if you want to crush shoulder high balls, then high racket prep, swing flat thru allowing the racket to pronate naturally with SW grip, and crush it for a winner. Turn sideways, move into your front foot, twist the torso to get a longer strike path thru the ball.

Dreamer
01-25-2009, 09:12 AM
If you get to a moonball early you can hit it on the rise. This could just mean practice timing.

You can also anticipate where it lands and move back to give yourself time, but you're also giving ground and may hit a short ball.

Hitting a flat shoulder high ball is different from a ball in your strike zone. The takeback is higher and shorter. You can sometimes see players jump catch it in their strike zone.

If you are lacking time and want to topspin it back on the forehand side you should use open stance. If it's deep push your body weight up on the right foot and use your core muscles to generate heavy topspin.

Generally on backhand you slice it or take it early, unless you have the amazing jumping 2hbh.

with topspin you will be able to play placement vs moonballs.

tennisfreak15347
01-25-2009, 09:15 AM
Good your opponent throws up DEEP moonballs.
So next shot, when you know he's tossing one up, you move quickly up to almost the service line and overhead his moonball away.
You CAN hit overheads, can't you?
And if it's a little low, just high volley deep down the line and move just inside the service line waiting for another moon/lob ball.
Some say crush the shorthop, but we call cannot be Mr.Agassi.

I dont think you can overhead moonballs...

LeeD
01-25-2009, 09:26 AM
Why not?
Moonball is just another name for a low lob.
You move in as much as you need to hit the overhead.
I also mentioned if it's too low for an overhead, you move to your stronger high volley, which is normally your forehand high volley. Volley deep into open court.
Now if the ball is too high for your overhead, then you just blindly ran into the court too far:):)

Mick
01-25-2009, 09:28 AM
i think you have to have a good overhead to handle moonballs. otherwise, you will be at the moonballer's mercy.

VaBeachTennis
01-25-2009, 03:11 PM
Good question

Did you try looping the ball deep with some topspin or taking it early? It seems to me this would be a good approach to this type of play.

Exactly, if you can time it right take it early and make him pay.

Headshotterer
01-25-2009, 05:48 PM
for me, slice would be easiest

Noaler
01-25-2009, 06:00 PM

what no...

BullDogTennis
01-25-2009, 08:10 PM

yea, good idea...play right into the moonballers hands by NOT dictating play...you'll be the next one to come in complaining about losing to a moonballer.

The_Steak
01-25-2009, 10:07 PM
First, what is your playing level?

Second, you're playing a pusher. Reader the thread about playing pushers.

Third, be more aggressive. He can't dictate play if he's on the defensive.

I am right now one of the top players on the JV team. Soon to be varsity.

supertrex
01-26-2009, 06:28 AM
just give him hes own taste of medicine even if it will take 5 hours for 1 set, return all of your shots with moonballs then when he give you a good swing then swing it till you can get your own pace. Attack the net and wah lah! Vs moonballer takes a lot of patience and dedication.

Bud
01-26-2009, 07:28 AM
just give him hes own taste of medicine even if it will take 5 hours for 1 set, return all of your shots with moonballs then when he give you a good swing then swing it till you can get your own pace. Attack the net and wah lah! Vs moonballer takes a lot of patience and dedication.

A non-moonballer will never beat a moonballer at his own game.

ima sucka 4 tennis
01-26-2009, 08:16 AM
Heyhey, what tournament was it?

tenzinrocks
01-26-2009, 09:49 AM
hit harder and towards his body instead of away and that should throw him off and the speed of the ball should give him a harder time to do a moonball. Actually, if he can get moonballs on your hard shots, then you're not using your body enough. He won't be able to do such high ball shots if you hit HEAVY shots. use your whole body

The_Steak
01-26-2009, 10:09 AM
Ohh. Does spin affect the heaviness of a shot?

LeeD
01-26-2009, 03:30 PM
Fast flat shots are pretty easy to dial into. Just hit with a top women player and you'll see.
Slower oval balls are much harder to deal with. Hit with a good mens player.
Heavy ball means it's hard for you to contact cleanly, so it must be spun someway, not hit flat.
Especially apparent in volleys.