PDA

View Full Version : Emailing College Coaches?

TexasTennis47
01-24-2009, 05:27 PM
I was wanting to email some coaches so I could put my name out there and maybe get some interest from them. I am a 1* on TennisRecruiting.net, so I'm not amazing but I do believe I could play tennis for small, not so skilled, team. Can someone help me out, maybe give me an example or something? Thanks a bunch!

autumn_leaf
01-24-2009, 05:37 PM
umm what's your definition of a not skilled team? some schools are pretty much walk-ons while others have serious try-outs.

most college's have a sports site where you can fill out a form that says you're interested in whatever sport you like and there's the option of sending in videos so coaches can at least see how you play.

tennismom42
01-24-2009, 07:03 PM
I was wanting to email some coaches so I could put my name out there and maybe get some interest from them. I am a 1* on TennisRecruiting.net, so I'm not amazing but I do believe I could play tennis for small, not so skilled, team. Can someone help me out, maybe give me an example or something? Thanks a bunch!
there was a similar thread last month in this "college" forum. It was called "questionnaire vs. e-mail." At the bottom of the first page, I posted a sample letter to mail. You could use some ideas from the thread & the letter. I think coaches want to hear your voice too. They are getting slammed & you need to do something to distinguish yourself.

TexasTennis47
01-24-2009, 08:26 PM
umm what's your definition of a not skilled team? some schools are pretty much walk-ons while others have serious try-outs.

most college's have a sports site where you can fill out a form that says you're interested in whatever sport you like and there's the option of sending in videos so coaches can at least see how you play.

I was looking into some smaller schools in Texas.

eeytennis
01-25-2009, 05:22 AM

Look for some Division 3 schools in the area...most of them (unless they are Top 25 in the country) would probably be doable for you. E-mail the coach, tell them that you are interested in the school, tell them a little bit about yourself, your competition experience, and ask for more information. And don't come across as if you had an inflated ego and don't make promises that you can't keep (like say that you think or know you can win a certain tournament, or maintain a certain record throughout the season). Coaches don't like arrogance and you don't want to get off on the wrong foot with them. Good luck!

JMS
01-25-2009, 07:50 AM
And as tennismom mentioned above, look at that thread. I recommend filling out an online question/interest form (I did for a school and the coach has been calling non-stop ever since), and e-mailing. An e-mail would be more personal and show interest, or you can do the ultimate and write a hand-written letter.

maratsafin5
01-25-2009, 07:51 AM
Is stuff like this too early to do if I'm only a sophomore?

JMS
01-25-2009, 07:56 AM
Is stuff like this too early to do if I'm only a sophomore?

No it's not too early, I recommend starting as soon as possible to generate a lot of interest from schools.

maratsafin5
01-25-2009, 07:59 AM
Primarily though, I'm not looking for a walk-over program, because I don't have the USTA experience to back myself up(since I hardly play tournaments), but I know it will go in my favor if a D-1 college has tryouts. Anyways, what should I say, and where do I start?

chilllaxin006
02-04-2009, 04:20 PM
No it's not too early, I recommend starting as soon as possible to generate a lot of interest from schools.

hes right about starting the interest building in the school. however I am pretty sure you may not be contacted by them until your junior year, thats how it is for lacrosse, we are juniors, last year he got nothing from any colleges and now, as a junior he is always being talked to...

just my 2 cents :)

nickynu
02-05-2009, 04:37 AM
Consider the grammar, spelling, and punctuation contained in any e-mail you send. Some coaches will actually discard your application if you dont take this aspect seriously enough.

JLyon
02-05-2009, 05:31 AM
as a 1* recruit look at some JUCO in TX such as CCCC in Plano, TJC, and Laredo.
Also look at some smaller D2 and D3 schools. Also think about going out of state if you truly want to play tennis as the number of men's programs has dwindled drastically in TX over the past decade.

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
02-05-2009, 08:08 AM
I encourage you all to EMAIL- Like I said in the other thread, I like to have the competition at a disadvantage for these spots.
If you don't have enough going for you to write a letter to those coaches, schools you are interested in- I'm sure it will get just the attention most EMAIL traffic gets from you.