PDA

View Full Version : Do D1 schools pay for all of their players'stuff?

Wondertoy
01-24-2009, 07:41 PM
Do the school pay for their players' racquets, overgrips, shoes and strings? How many racquets do you get?

NickC
01-24-2009, 09:02 PM
Do the school pay for their players' racquets, overgrips, shoes and strings? How many racquets do you get?

I talked to the assistant pro at my club about this over the summer. He (and if you are who I think you are, you know him as well) worked at a D-1 School out in Long Island. For racquets, almost every company that gives out "player's" packages, will give out some kind of package (overgrips included, and strings sometimes included) for College players. Generally the school doesn't pay for it, but he said there have been a few exceptions that he's heard of, like Georgia's deal with Technifibre. Technifibre would give out a certain number of frames to anyone on the team that wanted them, the same went for strings. For strings, there is usually a team string that the coach gets for free or for a heavy discount. For example, he knew a few guys over at Babolat, so they gave him free reels of Pro Hurricane Tour. For clothes, most teams get their stuff for free. However, the brand that the team gets is dependent on their prestige. Since this guy's team wasn't all that great (outside of top 100 teams), Nike, Adidas, Under Armor, or any of the big guns wouldn't sponsor them. Sometimes the schools have deals with companies to provide every varsity team the school has with one specific brand (Nike, Adidas, etc...). If the company made shoes as well, then the shoes would usually be provided as part of the deal. If the company didn't make shoes, then generally players would be on their own in terms of footwear and all that.

Hope that helps.

And for God's sake Bob, we haven't spoken in ages! Is Doug still partying his brains out? Give me (or tell him to give me) a call sometime, because here in Mexico I can only receive international calls (can't make them due to restrictions!), I can only text!

eeytennis
01-25-2009, 06:33 AM

It really depends on the school. D1 schools definitely offer discounts on gear and some go as far as to completely clothe and equip the team free of charge. I know of one D1 team who has a deal with Babolat and the team members can get only ONE free Babolat of their choice a year, yet I know another D1 team who HAD a deal with Technifibre and their players could get all the Technifibre rackets they wanted. So it really depends on the school.

Fedace
01-25-2009, 07:45 AM
Stanford has deals with technifibre. free strings, bags, etc.

JMS
01-25-2009, 08:45 AM
Stanford has deals with technifibre. free strings, bags, etc.

As does Wake Forest, all the players use Technifibre strings and bags but only like one uses Technifibre racquets.

junbug
01-25-2009, 09:53 AM
the local colleges here in portland have deals with nike. but as for rackets, they are on their own.

ihearit1st
01-25-2009, 10:04 AM
It all depends on the budgets. Not all D1 schools are alike. My school paid for everything, but we were the exception. Most schools provide everything but racquets. But even those schools offer player packages like any sponsorship program would give you.

Jackie T. Stephens
01-25-2009, 10:07 AM
It all depends on the budgets. Not all D1 schools are alike. My school paid for everything, but we were the exception. Most schools provide everything but racquets. But even those schools offer player packages like any sponsorship program would give you.

That's true, I don't think every D1 school can do that.