PDA

View Full Version : Check out this amazing drop shot!

tennisguyak
01-24-2009, 07:05 PM
Just searching through youtube when I came across this! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpE-4vAE9Yw)

ThA_Azn_DeViL
01-24-2009, 07:07 PM
Old mans got tricks up his sleeves!

tennisguyak
01-24-2009, 07:15 PM
Old mans got tricks up his sleeves!

I know! Thats so awesome. I think I'm gonna try it against my coach tomorrow. And the best part is, as long as you can create that type of situation for yourself, you can hit that all you want. You can either hit that a few times and leave them surprised at the baseline, or have them run up and hit the real overhead right past them.

mikeler
01-24-2009, 07:54 PM
That looks like something stupid I would do. Skip the high percentage overhead for the sexier drop shot. Why do I have this drop shot disease? :)

Steady Eddy
01-24-2009, 08:06 PM
That looks like something stupid I would do. Skip the high percentage overhead for the sexier drop shot. Why do I have this drop shot disease? :)If it's match point, I think you should go out on something clever if you get the chance. I read about this player 'Tappy' looked like he was going to smash on match point, but at the last moment, he flipped the racquet back and bunted a drop shot with the handle to the cheers of the crowd.

nadalfan!
01-25-2009, 03:36 AM
My friend did that to me all the time this summer. It's not hard to pull off but it sure works. For some reason he stopped doing it...

goober
01-25-2009, 05:13 AM
Although that shot looks cool and there is a "wow" factor to it, he made it way harder to do than actually required in a game. If you simply started winding up like you are taking a big swing then hit a dropshot it would probably win the point just the same.

eagle
01-25-2009, 07:08 AM
I had to look at that twice. Amazing.

r,
eagle

-Kap-
01-25-2009, 07:15 AM
Although that shot looks cool and there is a "wow" factor to it, he made it way harder to do than actually required in a game. If you simply started winding up like you are taking a big swing then hit a dropshot it would probably win the point just the same.

That shot would be just as effective, but it's not as impressive as this guy's finesse (and probably wouldn't have us gawking at it on youtube). ;)

babolatchaznike
01-25-2009, 02:19 PM
thats awesome

Rickson
01-25-2009, 03:54 PM
I had my doubles partner and my opponents cracking up when I did something like that. One of the opponents hit a sitter and I ran up to it looking like it would be smashed, but I chopped it instead and it dropped like it was hot.

AlphaCDjkr
01-25-2009, 08:43 PM
I did a similar drop shot with a smash motion like that, haha. I was receiving an easy floater at net, and I thought it would be cool to use a slice-based smash instead of a flat... so I put all my energy into hitting a huge topspin-slice smash. Turns out I tried swinging so hard that I completely mistimed the swing, and I whiffed the ball. The ball went poking along and never reached the service line. My friend couldn't even move, and all he could do was stay at the baseline and gawk. We both had a laugh after that, and I've never been able to do that again.

Ambivalent
02-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Wow, either he has a really light racquet, or he has greater arm strenght than verdasco. I tried doing that today and i nearly tore something bringing the racquet steady after a hard swing.

Petekbladetour1
02-09-2009, 04:13 AM
wow thats amazing!

SmAsH999
02-09-2009, 05:00 PM
lol, that's pretty sweet, easy to execute, but ever so classy.

Sovereignty
02-09-2009, 05:05 PM
I remember seeing this video a while back, I thought it was the best trick shot for me to actually use in a match. I like doing a wind up for a normal forehand, but at the last second pull of a drop shot. Always keeps them guessing haha. The kids reaction in the backround is great haha.

Frankauc
02-09-2009, 05:08 PM
i got to try that.