PDA

View Full Version : What would i need to do get my shots looking similar to this?

zeratul90
01-25-2009, 09:10 AM
I'm trying to get my shots to go over the net with lower clearance (i'm assuming that means not very high over the net?) but with loads of spin. I'm not sure how to describe it anymore than that, so i found a video of andy murray's strokes, which is exactly what i'm looking for. When i try to hit that much topspin, it goes higher than what i want. What would i need to do with my strokes to get a similar result? (No camera available to make vids btw :( ) Thanks!

andry murray vid : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpNFxnShJ9o

LeeD
01-25-2009, 09:23 AM
Well, first of all, it would be nice if you were fully grown, strong, and at least 5'10" tall with long arms. Murray is much taller.
Rackethead speed is the key, coupled with perfect timing on the prep, moving into the ball, good contact, and a long fast stroke.
But reality is, the more topspin you apply, the slower moving your ball, the more arc and gravity, the shorter your shot will fall, so to go deeper, you gotta hit it higher over the net!:confused:

oneguy21
01-25-2009, 09:35 AM
You shouldn't try to imitate the pros too much. The fact is if you rip the ball with spin, the trajectory should be loopy hence the higher clearance above the net. Why do you even want a lower net clearance? This will simply lead to more enforced errors.

Pretty shots aren't going to win you matches all the time.

Jackie T. Stephens
01-25-2009, 09:46 AM
First learn and get good form, then you can mimic like how I taught myself to mimic Marat Safin's forehand.

zeratul90
01-25-2009, 09:50 AM
You shouldn't try to imitate the pros too much. The fact is if you rip the ball with spin, the trajectory should be loopy hence the higher clearance above the net. Why do you even want a lower net clearance? This will simply lead to more enforced errors.

Pretty shots aren't going to win you matches all the time.

Well i mean i personally don't like hitting those really high topspin shots, i perfer to keep the ball within 2, maybe 3ft of the net. I just find that hitting those huge topspin shots aren't my style of play, i perfer lower/medium height and faster ones similar to this but of course with enough topspin to keep it inside.

Jackie T. Stephens
01-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Well i mean i personally don't like hitting those really high topspin shots, i perfer to keep the ball within 2, maybe 3ft of the net. I just find that hitting those huge topspin shots aren't my style of play, i perfer lower/medium height and faster ones similar to this but of course with enough topspin to keep it inside.

I do it, it's best to do it if you want to play more consistent Tennis.

oneguy21
01-25-2009, 10:06 AM

Well then flatten out your shots, but that's lower percentage play.

Jackie T. Stephens
01-25-2009, 10:08 AM
Well then flatten out your shots, but that's lower percentage play.

Read my post above yours ^^^

Element54
01-25-2009, 10:38 AM
You have to hit your shots flatter if you want to avoid the higher-topspin shots.

wihamilton
01-25-2009, 11:13 AM
I'm trying to get my shots to go over the net with lower clearance (i'm assuming that means not very high over the net?) but with loads of spin. I'm not sure how to describe it anymore than that, so i found a video of andy murray's strokes, which is exactly what i'm looking for. When i try to hit that much topspin, it goes higher than what i want. What would i need to do with my strokes to get a similar result? (No camera available to make vids btw :( ) Thanks!

andry murray vid : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpNFxnShJ9o

Why don't you want much net clearance? You should be batting for 3 - 5 feet over the net every time for a standard baseline rally.

BU-Tennis
01-25-2009, 11:28 AM
The fact is that you can't have low net clearance and hit with heavy topspin. If you watch the video, Murray's shots aren't really bouncing off of the court much at all. Of course there is some topspin on the shot and the natural gravity makes it look like a lot of spin.

sukivan
01-25-2009, 07:20 PM
dont think about swinging "fast", think about crushing the ball with really solid contact. Once you have that mastered, you can start speeding up your swing using various body parts (legs, hips, shoulders, etc). Oh and MAKE SURE you have FULL extension ALL the time.

WildVolley
01-25-2009, 09:00 PM
The fact is that you can't have low net clearance and hit with heavy topspin.

You definitely can have low net clearance and hit with heavy topspin, but it usually means the ball will land very short in the court. You'll see the pros do this a lot. They'll hit a hard ball with a lot of topspin from the baseline that bounces in the service box. It's not a very ideal shot except when passing someone at the net.

Remember, spin and how high the ball goes over the net are two different things. Except, if you want to hit with reasonable pace and net clearance, topspin is the only way to keep the ball in the court.

jman
01-26-2009, 03:44 AM
Actually you can hit a flat looking shot, which actually has tremedous spin! But that's only if your Roger Federer!

Seriously, it has a lot to do with your wrist, and how you position it when striking the forehand.