PDA

View Full Version : My Favourite Head classics

Virginia
01-25-2009, 03:11 PM
http://i43.tinypic.com/zacfn.jpg

The picture tells it all.

I picked up the Prestige Pro for less than US$5 in a local hospice shop. Once I cleaned it up, it was clear it had never seen a court. Obviously it had just sat in someone's garage for 20+ years, waiting for its first game!

I think the graphics on all these racquets are outstanding - so much nicer and "more tasteful" than today's offerings, which to me look garish.

The Prestige Pro and Tour (cap grommet version) were made in Austria, the other two in the USA.

The Prestige Pro is a dream to play with, but I haven't, as yet, tried the others.

MichaelChang
01-25-2009, 05:00 PM
I wonder where are all those thrift stores lol.

plasma
01-25-2009, 05:56 PM
what a delicious collection, thanks, Virginia, how funny that the edge goes for $12 and the prestige for $500.
Here's what to expect with the others, you should be pleased:

txe-stiff, yet very few bad vibes, high performance, excellent for big hitters. not soft, yet not harsh like many head offerings

prestige tour- excellent performance and modern playability, I prefer the added dwell time and plough thru of the ps 85 but used a prestige tour for several months recently as they are just that good!!!!

the edge- perhaps the best of them all! best feel ever for any tennis racquet made by head. Old school plough thru and that same sweet POG, ps 85, R22, 200g "soft authentic graphite feel"....racquet designers and top pros respect the edge as one of the greatest of all time... I can't wait to get your take on the head graphite edge, one of the goat's (greatest of all time)!

Sicamuni
01-26-2009, 10:18 AM
I agree, the Head Graphite Edge is one of the best racquets I've ever used. I strung it at 45lbs and hit flat shots that dips right before the baseline. I am down to my last string job with it though. The grommets are falling apart. My stringer told me individual grommets are not very practical because they keep falling out during stringing. What to do?? I am seriously going to weep when the strings break... :(

joe sch
01-26-2009, 05:15 PM
http://i43.tinypic.com/zacfn.jpg

The picture tells it all.

I picked up the Prestige Pro for less than US$5 in a local hospice shop. Once I cleaned it up, it was clear it had never seen a court. Obviously it had just sat in someone's garage for 20+ years, waiting for its first game!

I think the graphics on all these racquets are outstanding - so much nicer and "more tasteful" than today's offerings, which to me look garish.

The Prestige Pro and Tour (cap grommet version) were made in Austria, the other two in the USA.

The Prestige Pro is a dream to play with, but I haven't, as yet, tried the others.

Nice foursome of head classics ! Below are 4 of my fav heads:

http://www.woodtennis.com/head/4headclassics4.jpg

Virginia
01-26-2009, 05:43 PM
Joe, do you suppose the current Head offerings are as good as their classics? My feeling is that they aren't, but maybe Head is the exception?

plasma
01-26-2009, 06:48 PM
don't even bother demo-ing the new prestige, it's awful!!!! stiffnesss with vibration, wouldn't pay $30 bux for it.

joe sch
01-29-2009, 03:58 AM
Joe, do you suppose the current Head offerings are as good as their classics? My feeling is that they aren't, but maybe Head is the exception?

No way ! The prestige classics prior to 2000 were much better rackets than todays air shells. They just do not make graphite rackets the same today, they are too light and stiff.

Bud
01-29-2009, 07:36 AM
Nice foursome of head classics ! Below are 4 of my fav heads:

http://www.woodtennis.com/head/4headclassics4.jpg

Joe,

Is the racquet on the left a Trisys 270 with a single power wedge beam?

joe sch
01-29-2009, 08:03 PM
Joe,

Is the racquet on the left a Trisys 270 with a single power wedge beam?

Close, but no cigar :)

Its the Trisys 210, check out this angle:

http://www.woodtennis.com/head/4headclassics1.jpg

sargeinaz
01-31-2009, 10:34 PM
don't even bother demo-ing the new prestige, it's awful!!!! stiffnesss with vibration, wouldn't pay $30 bux for it.

I'll have to disagree with this. The new microgel prestige mid is a nice stick. Demo it and see if you like it. The worst that can happen is you don't.

plasma
02-01-2009, 02:35 AM
I demoed it and the Tom's Machine (crap), and the BB 11 (crap), the aerogel was decent at best and the only one I could hit with. At the end of the day the materials and process were ten times better with older head frames...your $200 sweatshop emperor, has no clothes!!!

sargeinaz
02-01-2009, 07:33 AM
I demoed it and the Tom's Machine (crap), and the BB 11 (crap), the aerogel was decent at best and the only one I could hit with. At the end of the day the materials and process were ten times better with older head frames...your $200 sweatshop emperor, has no clothes!!!

I never said that the new rackets were made with better materials, all I said is that it's a nice stick. According to VSB Warwinka, Safin and Murray switched to the actual microgel rackets. If they sucked so bad they would stick with their older rackets would they not? Either way, after how you argued with deuce back and forth posting pics and crap, I have no interest in doing the same.

plasma
02-01-2009, 10:56 AM
I have no interest arguing either, I come here for positive vibes and to escape from stress.....I enjoy racquets and respect all people, I would never personally insult anyone unless (like the crankypant master you mentioned) you try to make everyone else look inferior.....

lpicken
02-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Head Graphie Edge is a sweet stick. Do any of your Edge's have the flag on the side? Let me know if you can find grommets.

matchmaker
02-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Virginia,

No love for the PC600? The only difference with the prestige tour is that it does not have the suspension grip. Many people prefer the normal grip, because the suspension grip makes strange noise and takes away some of the raw feedback.

Virginia
02-05-2009, 11:58 AM
matchmaker, I don't have the PC600, or I'm sure I would love it too. The suspension grip on my Tour doesn't make any noise - so far anyway.

I've just bought an Elektra Master and also have two Comp Pro's, a Graphite Pro and a Magnum. Oh and all three of the Arthur Ashe Competitions - how could I forget those!

matchmaker
02-05-2009, 12:08 PM
matchmaker, I don't have the PC600, or I'm sure I would love it too. The suspension grip on my Tour doesn't make any noise - so far anyway.

I've just bought an Elektra Master and also have two Comp Pro's, a Graphite Pro and a Magnum. Oh and all three of the Arthur Ashe Competitions - how could I forget those!

That calls for photos!

The PC600 is indeed a very nice frame. I have also heard a lot of good about the Prestige Pro. Lucky :)you to get one for a steal: 5 usd.

plasma
02-05-2009, 02:55 PM
seriously, Virginia, you can't tease us with talk of Magnum Pro, Graph Pro, and 2 comp pro's and not show pics....pretty pls with sugar on top????