PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop Max 200g Club

Azzurri
01-26-2009, 03:41 PM
I was a former 200g player. I owned 11 of these babies from 1984-1990. I broke every one of them except the two I lost in Philadelphia. Let's hear your story of how and why you decided to play this stick.

VGP
01-26-2009, 03:47 PM
I wonder how many people were influenced by either JMac or Graf?

JMac switched because of PMac......

Azzurri
01-26-2009, 03:54 PM
I would say Mac, he was at the height of his game. I think PMac gets too much credit. Mac would have eventually tried this stick. Still a good story though.:)

joe sch
01-26-2009, 05:06 PM
I was a former 200g player. I owned 11 of these babies from 1984-1990. I broke every one of them except the two I lost in Philadelphia. Let's hear your story of how and why you decided to play this stick.

Im always surprised to hear of players breaking these rackets. I have owned dozens of them and never broke them and Im a hard flat hitter. I play these rackets with natural gut at low tensions and suspect the breakers were strung too tightly.

Mac and Graf surely helped the 200g desire but once you play one, the performance stands on its own

Azzurri
01-26-2009, 05:16 PM
Im always surprised to hear of players breaking these rackets. I have owned dozens of them and never broke them and Im a hard flat hitter. I play these rackets with natural gut at low tensions and suspect the breakers were strung too tightly.

Mac and Graf surely helped the 200g desire but once you play one, the performance stands on its own

I never broke one while actually hitting a ball.:twisted::shock::twisted:

Virginia
01-26-2009, 05:46 PM
I never broke one while actually hitting a ball.:twisted::shock::twisted:
Haha - classic!

Azzurri
01-26-2009, 06:03 PM
I had a Mac complex. I seriosuly broke 9 of the 11 (the other two I lost) against many surfaces including a metal pole 200 yards away from the court. I was walking home, was still mad and just went nuts.:???:

Its still a legendary story told. No one I know ever broke a racquet away from a tennis court.

MAX PLY
01-26-2009, 06:40 PM
Switched to it while playing in college in the early 80s. In one year I went from the Dunlop MaxPly Fort to the Dunlop A Player to the Black Max (for about a week) and finally ended up with a 200G, completing my transition from wood frames. Played with the various incarnations of the original injection molded frame until I couldn't get any more. I actually still have 4 frames (2 never hit and one of those is a Graf Golden Grand Slam Edition). I haven't hit one in a couple of years (need to string another one up one of these days). I used to string them with Gosen OG Sheep Mirco 17 at about 48 lbs. These days I play the Wilson(K) 6.1 95 (16x18). I still think the Max200G was the greatest non-wood frame ever manufactured (and I will string one up this week (not one of the new ones) and hit it).

Only broke one while playing--head snapped on an overhead. Broke a few (but not many) without playing (and regret each of those to this day).

plasma
01-26-2009, 06:46 PM
violence is a sign of weakness young grasshopper, the double sparrow internal energy fist can only be attained once you have mastered your true spirit, until then you are not worthy of the orange robe
http://i41.tinypic.com/vgsxg9.jpg
so if I got this right, the 200g is so great you broke 10???? guess you always hurt the ones u love....

jorel
01-27-2009, 03:46 AM
I had a Mac complex. I seriosuly broke 9 of the 11 (the other two I lost) against many surfaces including a metal pole 200 yards away from the court. I was walking home, was still mad and just went nuts.:???:

Its still a legendary story told. No one I know ever broke a racquet away from a tennis court.
the next time u decide to break one... send it to me instead.

gh65721
01-27-2009, 06:59 AM
Been wanting to try this stick and finally got one, put fresh string job in it and wow. Nothing to compare the feel with and played really well with it. Lost a little speed off my serve but spin was very good. The Fairway leather grip is great also, nothing like the tacky feel of that.

plasma
01-27-2009, 07:52 AM
actually the ps 85 does compare feelwise, and so does the kneissl masters 10, but of them all, 200g is the softest, butteriest. When counterpunching you can actually see it flex several inches and bend before your eyes, before throwing the ball back precisely like a sling... un-friggin believeable!!!
http://i39.tinypic.com/2zjfl88.jpg

slow deep shots with the 200g can knock down opponents, no joke!

FloridaAG
01-27-2009, 08:26 AM
Great frame - my first graphite frame. I got in in 1985 I believe - purchased with money I got as Bar Mitzvah presents. Played with it for about 2 years - until I broke it by smashing it on the foundation of my cabin at camp. A. I was a teenager with a temper; 2. the only way I could get a new frame was to break my old one so off it went. Bad decision

Haven't broken a frame since 1987 though.

Virginia
01-27-2009, 09:39 AM
I have nine of these - a mixture of the original black 200g's, 200G Pro's and the newer green version. One day I hope to get Steffi's Golden Slam version.

I never pass up a chance to buy one of these treasures, if the price is reasonable. The last three I got were less than $20 each.

plasma
01-27-2009, 09:46 AM
the Golden grand slam is essential if you have a Steffi collection...my golden goose/ great white whale is the 7.0 classic lite in 85, I'm currently hitting with a stars and stripes but need something a bit more flexible...

truthorbust
01-20-2010, 01:29 PM
Got lucky last week , got one well used max 200g a flea market for 10 bukcs .. it beat up but shines on court.. i need one more aps. if anyone has one to spare send an email to tennisoffer@hotmail.com and i will get it. thanks.

Chuck Savage
09-10-2013, 11:59 AM
I'm still faithful to the old girl after ...28 years and I would not part with her.

The Max 200g does it for me it's part of my arm.

The last one I broke was back in 93 and that was a cardinal sin for me.

Will try to post some photos of my collection