PDA

View Full Version : Hitting Harder

cys19
01-26-2009, 06:14 PM
I've switched from the LM Radical Tour (18x20) to the LM Instinct Tour XL (16x18) - and I've lost my forehand. I used to hit deep, heavy balls with my Radical Tour, but I can't do the same with the Instinct Tour XL. They're landing short - around the service line. Any tips without modifying the racquet?

Same question for my serve.... My serves land out more than usual.

dcjaybutchdc
01-26-2009, 06:32 PM
is there a reason why you switched if you apparently better with your old racquet? if you aren't already leaning into your shots with good shoulder rotation, do so, you will hit harder with more spin. if you are already, then switch back to your other racquet unless there is a good reason not too :)

LeeD
01-26-2009, 06:32 PM
Anytime you switch rackets or strings, you have to compensate.
Groundies short, hit flatter or higher over the net.
Serves long, apply more spin or hit lower-closer to the netcord.
Could be lightness, different grip shape, strings, lighter swinging racket, a bunch of things.
Since we don't know how you play, you gotta cover all the bases, and the first base to cover is to compensate!

oneguy21
01-26-2009, 06:34 PM
Get low and hit through that ball.

cys19
01-26-2009, 06:45 PM
Instinct is much more headlight (10 vs 6). Allows me to hit last minute slices more easily with my wrist.

futuratennis
01-26-2009, 07:15 PM
keep using it and youll improve, just a week ago or so, my strings on my good racquet broke, and i couldnt get it strung for a week, i played with 5 different racquets (lent to me) in 6 days or so, you could imagine how i was feeling :S

Djokovicfan4life
01-26-2009, 10:57 PM
Instinct is much more headlight (10 vs 6). Allows me to hit last minute slices more easily with my wrist.

So last minute slices trump hard, heavy, forehands? That seems a little strange to me. Personally, I think that players tend to exaggerate the effects of the racquet on their game. Some of my best tennis has been played with a Yonex RDS 003, completely different from my beloved Fischer.

cys19
01-26-2009, 11:10 PM
So last minute slices trump hard, heavy, forehands? That seems a little strange to me. Personally, I think that players tend to exaggerate the effects of the racquet on their game. Some of my best tennis has been played with a Yonex frame, completely different from my beloved Fischer.

I felt my Radical wasn't suitable for a one hander backhand. So I decided to switch to this Instinct. If I can't get used to it, I'll just switch back. I play like a 2.0 with this racquet.

cys19
01-26-2009, 11:17 PM
(I wish I had a natural two hander...sigh.)

Djokovicfan4life
01-26-2009, 11:38 PM
Again, I really think that you are over-thinking this racquet thing. That racquet should have been fine for a one handed backhand. Worry about your technique more and less about equipment.

JMO.

cys19
01-28-2009, 05:24 PM
Just came back from playing.

I'm back in the game-- Thanks guys.

BU-Tennis
01-28-2009, 06:08 PM
I think that the change in mass has changed your game. With more weight in the racquet head the ball will have more pace and spin. So with this racquet you are going to have to swing consistently harder to get the same results or swing higher over the net.

i think your results will be better with the heavier radical. Just wait and see. When you get into rally's in stressful situations and you start swinging slower your ball is going to sit up for the opponent and then you'll really be in trouble.