PDA

View Full Version : 1hbh rotation like pros

cys19
01-26-2009, 06:43 PM
How can one rotate their shoulder past their chin like the pros? It's physically impossible for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNVn0Q9EDn0

The_Steak
01-26-2009, 06:55 PM
What? Its not hard.. You aren't moving your head, you are moving your hips.

oneguy21
01-26-2009, 06:56 PM
Blake is turning his shoulders, not really turning his head over it.

Ballinbob
01-26-2009, 06:56 PM
i dont understand the question

try again

cys19
01-26-2009, 07:05 PM
ok rewording: rotation so that the shoulder is past the head.
either way i word it, it's impossible for me to put my chin over my shoulder. and i consider myself pret-ty lean.

cys19
01-26-2009, 07:07 PM
Blake is turning his shoulders, not really turning his head over it.

how can i get myself to stretch like that? what kind of exercises must i do?

oneguy21
01-26-2009, 07:12 PM
how can i get myself to stretch like that? what kind of exercises must i do?

You must be a really stiff person. Have you just been in a body cast?

Just turn your shoulder, then your chin should be past your shoulder. I don't see how this could possibly be anatomically impossible.

cys19
01-26-2009, 07:14 PM
You must be a really stiff person. Have you just been in a body cast?

Just turn your shoulder, then your chin should be past your shoulder. I don't see how this could possibly be anatomically impossible.

Seriously. I can't do it. Can anybody else on the forum?

sukivan
01-26-2009, 07:15 PM
I don't know why you guys are so confused by the question. He's asking "how" the pros are able to rotate their head clockwise so far (so that they're actually looking "behind" the plane of their shoulders).

To answer your question - it's partly "technique" and partly flexibility. The technique aspect is simply that they are rotating their torso, bringing their right shoulder in as much as possible (imagine your right shoulder is being pulled forward and to the left) and turning their head as clockwise as possible. The other aspect - flexibility - is largely a matter of regular stretching and genetics.

Blake's head turn is actually relatively tame; take a look at some photos/videos of Kuerten's backhand backswing! He was known for his incredible flexibility.

cys19
01-26-2009, 07:17 PM
I'm trying to do this in the library in my closed stance and raised backswing.

Kevo
01-27-2009, 12:20 PM
How can one rotate their shoulder past their chin like the pros? It's physically impossible for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNVn0Q9EDn0

That's OK. It doesn't matter if you can't get that far or not, the main thing is that you get a full shoulder rotation. For you, it may be that your shoulder just gets close to your chin. Not everyone is built the same. For people who have long tongues, touching their nose with their tongue is easy. For others, it's impossible.