PDA

View Full Version : Late 70's Adidas Wood Racquet

Richard Pur
01-27-2009, 03:37 AM
Does anyone remember a mutli-layer wood Adidas racquet in the late 1970's? A highly ranked junior who lived next to me at the time had a contract with Adidas and they supplied him with this racquet. I got a couple of them from him and played with them for a year or so.

The racquet was really cool looking in that it has about 5 or 6 different layers of wood pressed together so you could see them as the wood layed flat on the ground. Very flexible and low powered racquet. Pretty thin racquet and had a pretty round shaped head.

I tried googling some Adidas racquets but couldn't find anything.

Just bringing it up for conversation.

Rich

jorel
01-27-2009, 03:42 AM
i thought multlayered racquets were not as good as the solid piece sticks..

its basically plywood isnt it???

jorel
01-27-2009, 04:03 AM
i had a chemold rod laver back from the day that looked also like a laminate... it actually played really nicely... it actually got me into playing and going back to woodies....

Virginia
01-27-2009, 09:27 AM
I have a black Adidas CD 2000. It says "epoxy fully synthetic" on the side of the handle, whatever that might mean. It certainly feels like wood and I'd love to know more about it. I'll post a pic next time I get my camera out.

jmjmkim
01-27-2009, 09:31 AM
all wooden rackets were layered in one way or another. Some, you couln't see because of the paint job.

It it weren't layered, it wouldn't withstand the force. They were layered and bent into shape.

I used to have a Dunlop maxply, (McEnroe used this) that looked beautiful in terms of being able to see the wood grains.

I think Davis started to mix wood and layers of fiberglass into their frames that made it flexible.

Richard Pur
01-27-2009, 03:13 PM
i thought multlayered racquets were not as good as the solid piece sticks..

its basically plywood isnt it???

I didn't say it was a good racquet. I just was bringing it up for conversation purposes and it because it was pretty unique. It had one layer in it that was dark/black. Could that have been boron to stiffen it up a little?

It did play like plywood, though. I didn't know much about racquets in high school and was new to the game, so I just played with the racquets that people that I knew played with.

Bud
01-27-2009, 05:47 PM
Does anyone remember a mutli-layer wood Adidas racquet in the late 1970's? A highly ranked junior who lived next to me at the time had a contract with Adidas and they supplied him with this racquet. I got a couple of them from him and played with them for a year or so.

The racquet was really cool looking in that it has about 5 or 6 different layers of wood pressed together so you could see them as the wood layed flat on the ground. Very flexible and low powered racquet. Pretty thin racquet and had a pretty round shaped head.

I tried googling some Adidas racquets but couldn't find anything.

Just bringing it up for conversation.

Rich

I have a couple of these somewhere... If I find them I'll post pics.

Capt. Willie
01-27-2009, 08:11 PM
Could it be the "Adidas Harmony"? As I recall that had the natural wood showing (not covered with paint) and boron inlays.

adidasman
01-30-2009, 10:59 AM
Yeah, I have a Harmony, but no pictures - it sure does sound like the Harmony to me. A black center running vertically in between all the wood layers, and a red Trefoil on the throat.

martini1
06-04-2009, 04:25 PM
I actually held one in my hand in an Adidas Original store. They were doing a display for the Stan Smith limited edition shoes and put a vintage adidas racket there. Too bad I didn't have a camera with me. It was really cool.

Capt. Willie
06-04-2009, 07:10 PM
I actually held one in my hand in an Adidas Original store. They were doing a display for the Stan Smith limited edition shoes and put a vintage adidas racket there. Too bad I didn't have a camera with me. It was really cool.

And too bad the racquet wasn't for sale. :( As for the Stan's, they can keep 'em.

coachrick
06-06-2009, 06:39 PM
all wooden rackets were layered in one way or another. Some, you couln't see because of the paint job.

It it weren't layered, it wouldn't withstand the force. They were layered and bent into shape.

Mostly correct...at least for frames built after 1920 or so. I have quite a few solid hairpin rackets from the early 1900s. One piece of wood was shaped like a 'hairpin' and a wedge was screwed into the throat. Some of the rackets are still in good shape...I doubt they saw much action. I'm sure Joe the racket guy has studied the evolution of the laminated frame.

BTW, I wonder if the Adidas in question might be the Haillet? It was a Maxply knockoff as I recall.

Bud
10-12-2010, 04:40 PM
I have a couple of these somewhere... If I find them I'll post pics.

The ones I have are called Adidas ADSO5O :)

Don't know if these are the ones referred to in the op :confused:

Clintspin
10-13-2010, 03:23 AM
http://s937.photobucket.com/albums/ad219/clintspin2/Fishers/Bobby%20Riggs/Addias/?action=view&current=006.jpg

That's the only Adidas wood that I have.