PDA

View Full Version : Getting lobbed

KerryJ
01-27-2009, 05:02 AM
When you get lobbed, what's the best thing to do. If it's a good lob, the obvious thing is to just get it back (I was taught to try to hit it as high as possible to allow yourself to get back into the point). But when you have the time what's the best thing to do? Like, if you were a teaching pro, what would you teach the kid and why? When I have the time I hit it over my shoulder because I have three options

1. Pronated flat shot
2. Slice shot
3. Slice lob

I know people who run around it to hit a backhand lob or get around to hit a regular forehand

What's the best thing to do?

Djokovicfan4life
01-27-2009, 05:11 AM
I guess you're talking about only lobs that make it past the overhead territory? Because the overhead is obviously the best option.

featherlight
01-27-2009, 05:15 AM
topspin lob

Element54
01-27-2009, 05:16 AM
Well, instinctually I hit a flat-ish (has topspin still) ball in the middle of the court. My opponent normally stays at the baseline to admire their lob.

ssjkyle31
01-27-2009, 05:41 AM
Only recently, I started to lob people. Depending on the situation you can lob it back (make sure it deep) or you can hit an overhead. If you are at the baseline and the lobs is short, you can hit a swinging volley. I have quite a few lobs in the link below. One of the lobs my opponent hit a good smash.

JRstriker12
01-27-2009, 05:59 AM
If you get lobbed, your #1 objective is to get back so that the lob doesn't go over your head or to retrive the lob.

What you do depends on where the lob lands, your abilites, the height of the ball, your position, and the position of the opponent.

Obviously, if the ball lands short, inside the service line, you will want to hit an overhead and try to put the ball away or get a weak return that you can put away. I've also hit overheads from the baseline if I have the time to set up and the ball bounces high enough.

If the ball lands min court and you don't feel like you can hit an overhead, I'd hit an approach shot or an aggressive ground stroke if your opponent is out of position and you have time to get behind the ball to set up.

If it lands mid court or deep and you are in a defensive position, the smart thing to do is hit a deep-high topspin ball back cross court to give you time to recover and to keep you opponent from coming in and attacking.

If it flies over your head and lands deep, lob back and and pray it lands deep enough that your opponent can't hit a smash.

LeeD
01-27-2009, 07:48 AM
Meaning the ball goes over your head and lands near your service line....
Get it back with regards to the oppositions court awareness and speed afoot.
If he's way back still, drop shot. If he's looking to come in, better lob deep, you're not in a great position for a passing shot.
If he's slower than a sloth, drop shot.
If he can cover most shots, better play a safe deep ball to his weaker side, depending on what YOUR most consistent shot is from the baseline.
You cannot always get back to hit your topspin lob, as a lob over your backhand will attest, so use your most consistent shot and BE AWARE where your opponent is standing and where he is planning to cover.

LeeD
01-27-2009, 07:50 AM
First sentence, I meant baseline. Sorry:shock: