PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Blister

Karma_struggle
01-27-2009, 10:57 AM
First off, thanks for reading my thread. About a year ago, I switched from a semi-western forehand grip to what I think is the extreme eastern grip that Federer uses. I'm having great results with it, but I'm having a problem with a small, but painful blister at the base of my pinky finger.

I think maybe the increased wrist whip that I'm using with the new grip is causing it. In day to day playing it's not much of a problem, but whenever I have to play multiple matches in a day, like in a tourney, it becomes a real problem. I have been playing tennis often for about 8 years now, so my hands are pretty callused, and I've never had a problem with blistering before.

Anybody have any tips on either fixing my mechanics, or treating the blister itself during, say, a tournament?

dakels
01-27-2009, 11:15 AM
There's probably a lot of info you can search on this forums about blisters. Given the location, if it is easily wrappable, I'd probably use rayon surgical tape. Works great, stays on pretty well and the glide and tension shouldn't affect your swing. I also use 2nd skin too preferably before the damage is done.

Karma_struggle
01-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Interesting... should I wrap across the inside of the knuckles, or should I go in between my ring and pinky finger over to the side of the hand?

dakels
01-27-2009, 01:02 PM
I don't recommend double finger wrapping. That is usually for joint injuries and will limit your flexibility. The key is to put something non abrasive flush to the skin being bothered. The sticky part of the tape should be directly contacting the area you wish to protect. Again, I like using 2nd skin/liquid skin for this too even in combination with the tape. Now if its an area on the palm of your hand can't wrap easily, then I'd go with liquid skin and moleskin. Still, I'd try to strengthen that area as much as possible. It could be your hands still need to get used to it and callous. Overprotecting it is not beneficial either.

Bagumbawalla
01-27-2009, 04:42 PM
You build up callouses for your western grip, then you change grips. Even a slight change will put pressure and rubbing on new areas. Take it slow and you will adapt.

mawashi
01-28-2009, 01:47 AM
You build up callouses for your western grip, then you change grips. Even a slight change will put pressure and rubbing on new areas. Take it slow and you will adapt.

I totally agree but at the same time I'll also look if I've changed anything on my racquets recently. I tried a new overwrap and it gave me a 5mm blister which spread and eventually the skin peeled off all the way to parts in between my fingers.

Try n keep your hands as dry as possible with a rosin bag.

mawashi

Captain Tezuka
01-28-2009, 03:11 AM
Originally Posted by Bagumbawalla

Basically yes this might be the best answer.

Otherwise if this doesn't work a doctor. :lol: Sorry exgaeration. :lol:

or

Maybe the other posts said tape it and stuff like that right?

I would suggest following that.

halalula1234
01-28-2009, 03:45 AM
i had a blister so i tried changing grip to a newer softer grippier one. and the blister's gone