PDA

View Full Version : Serve help

Headshotterer
01-27-2009, 04:44 PM
Today I was practicing and I was hitting them all really long. I know it has something to do with the toss but I dont know what. My toss is really high and when it bounces it would land in front of me and to the left of me

LeeD
01-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Can't talk mechanics until you hit the ball 1' over the net, then see if it goes in or not.
But basically continental grip, allow the rackethead to pronate thru on each serve stroke, hit it close to as high as you can reach, get your feet off the tarmac, and hope it goes in.:):)
Toss it farther into the court, but don't YOU follow it inside the baseline, so you can hit the ball closer to the net.

Headshotterer
01-27-2009, 05:34 PM
and i rarely hit it into the net

LeeD
01-27-2009, 07:20 PM
So you're hitting too much clearance over the net.
Just lower your target. Your target is NOT the service line on the opposition's court, it's the small area above the netcord.
Barely clear the netcord, and every serve will land short enough to go in.

Captain Tezuka
01-27-2009, 10:17 PM
Someone once wrote: It is better to have it land long than to have have it land short.

I basically agree partially with this yes look what landing short gets the pros into a lost point so just relax and see if hitting it again the serve at the same speed and reduce the hieght of the ball toss a little or some other mechanics and see if this helps your serve. :lol:

Have fun fixing the serve.

BU-Tennis
01-27-2009, 10:52 PM
You might need to get more pronation on the serve which will bring the ball down into the court. Also, you may not be tossing the ball far enough out in front of you. Try fixing the toss first and see what happens. Also, make sure to tighten your abs through the serve. This seems to help in bringing a ball down into the court as well, but make sure you still watch the ball completely through the stroke.

anchorage
01-28-2009, 03:44 AM
Sounds to me as if you just need to get more spin on the serve. ALL your serves should clear the net by a good margin.

So, what are the basics for getting good spin? Feel as if your hitting arm is travelling straight up to (and beyond / through) the ball. Also, try to get the shoulder over shoulder rotation which gives the sort of catapault effect and takes your whole momentum through the shot.

Here's an excellent example in slow motion;

http://www.hi-techtennis.com/video_sample.php?player_id=15&video_id=346&stroke=serve

If you pause the vid and drag the progress bar, you can see everything you need to.

halalula1234
01-28-2009, 03:51 AM
sometimes i get problems with my serve if i practice them for too long and too much in a day.

halalula1234
01-28-2009, 03:53 AM
http://www.hi-techtennis.com/slice/videos/index.php

look at the woman..

I never "SINGHA BEER'' is a woman?..

its a beer brand right?

Headshotterer
01-28-2009, 05:05 PM
so i should try to hit it harder?

LeeD
01-30-2009, 03:45 PM
"harder"....
well that depends.... are your swings replicable, consistent, and within your physical limits? If so, you can swing harder, but they won't necessarily go shorter and into the service court.
If you want them to go in, then clear the net by 1' or less.
I'm 5'11", and if I want my first flat to go duececourt corner wide, I have to clear the net by less than 7" or so, probably less ! I'm lefty.
I can hit the netcord at least 5 out of 10 trying to serve out wide that side.
So hit closer to the net.... unless you are less than 3.5 or so, and need the clearance because you don't have the technique or speed.
I'm maybe high 3's, but serve maybe low 6's level.

zapvor
01-31-2009, 12:37 PM
it's hard to critique if there is no video. if they are all going long, i would just aim shorter