PDA

View Full Version : College Club Tennis

tykrum
02-24-2005, 11:09 PM
It seems like there are a few college age posters on the boards, and I was wondering if anyone is on a club tennis team at their college? If you aren't familiar with a club team, its just for people that aren't quite good enough to play varsity, but still want to go to a big school and play competitively. Well anyway, our school is going to the national tournament in march in San Diego with 47 other teams, and I'd be interested to see if anyone else on the boards is on a team that is going.

Max G.
02-24-2005, 11:14 PM
Me!

Well, our school is tiny, actually - but we have a joint tennis team with CMC. And we from HMC actually have to, you know, keep up with studying... and they have it easier...

I'd be about on par with the bottom guy on the team, had I tried out. I think I would have made it in, maybe, but not sure.

(well, I should say *was* on par. Before I had to sit out two-some months with a sprained ankle. And now my movement to my left is still slow, I pop up running backhands instead of chopping them down, and I can't lunge for backhand volleys anymore. So as I am now, I wouldn't make the team, by a long shot.)

We have a club team and we were thinking of going to that San Diego tournament, but didn't end up deciding to do that.

Power Game
02-25-2005, 05:46 AM
I play college tennis, but I play on the team though...

lemurballs
02-25-2005, 09:46 AM
Yea, we had that at University of Nebraska this year. Funded by USTA correct? There wasn't a very big turn-out, but the free matches/court time during the semester were kickass.

tykrum
02-25-2005, 02:36 PM
Yeah the free court time is great. Max, our team hasn't gone before, but I'm sure it will be more than worth it. You should have made a push to go. The USTA is giving us a donation to help pay for travel costs. And I just found out that Prince is giving every team captain a free pair of shoes (I don't know what model btw).

TommyGun
02-26-2005, 06:18 AM
Club tennis is great and growing. As regular teams are dissolved more and more, club teams are beginning to take on more of a role.

You will have a blast at the nationals. Its a great time. When you are there the reps from most of the companies will be there. Be nice and do well and they might even give you more then free shoes...

Gilly1998
04-11-2005, 12:41 PM
I play #5 singles for University Of Minnesota - Winona. What school are you referring to tykrum?

johnmcc516
04-11-2005, 01:37 PM
I am on the club team at Auburn University. We have an individual ladder, travel to certain tournaments, and host our own tournaments a few times a year. We have a good time.

tykrum
04-11-2005, 01:53 PM
Gilly, do you mean Winona State? I don't think its associated with the U of M, I go to the U of MN - Twin Cities campus. Anyway, if you do go to Winona State, that is in my hometown and I teach lessons and play on a summer 4.5 team with the coach.

John, you should really try to go to nationals next year if you already have tournaments, etc. It was really a great time even though we didn't do great in our first year there.

devwizard
04-14-2005, 10:49 AM
Yeah, we used to have a D-I team here at Oregon State until Title IX caused us to cancel it about 6 years ago. Since then, we have had a club team, and this year we are supposedly one of the better clubs in the PNW. I didn't attend the tourney you're talking about, but our top guys did. (I'm probably 4.5 and play as #7) However, we cannot compare to some of the big school clubs (Harvard, Yale all of which had their clubs there), and we got totally schooled getting like 4th to last place. :-(

tykrum
04-14-2005, 10:59 AM
Yeah its looks like the Beavers got 5th in their group, thats okay us Gophers got 6th. But it was our first year, and we didn't have 9 of our top 10 guys and our 3 top girls there. I play 4 or 5 for us, so I played singles and I was the only person on our team to win any matches. Maybe I'll see you there next year though, we're hoping to make a good run with all our best players.

brianz0rz
04-17-2005, 10:47 AM
Yeah, we used to have a D-I team here at Oregon State until Title IX caused us to cancel it about 6 years ago. Since then, we have had a club team, and this year we are supposedly one of the better clubs in the PNW. I didn't attend the tourney you're talking about, but our top guys did. (I'm probably 4.5 and play as #7) However, we cannot compare to some of the big school clubs (Harvard, Yale all of which had their clubs there), and we got totally schooled getting like 4th to last place. :-(

how is the tennis at OSU? i plan on going there there next year. i'm a senior in high school and went to one of the portland state practices. it looks like they have a pretty good time.

remilard
04-17-2005, 01:54 PM
how is the tennis at OSU? i plan on going there there next year. i'm a senior in high school and went to one of the portland state practices. it looks like they have a pretty good time.

What a coincidence, I just started playing again after 7 years off and I've been to the last couple Portland State practices. I think I'll like playing here, I am absolutely amazed that it is fairly easy to get indoor court time here, for free. I grew up in a town of 9,000 people where sometimes it was hard getting on one of the ten outdoor courts and we would drive 90 minutes to play indoors.

brianz0rz
04-17-2005, 11:15 PM
What a coincidence, I just started playing again after 7 years off and I've been to the last couple Portland State practices. I think I'll like playing here, I am absolutely amazed that it is fairly easy to get indoor court time here, for free. I grew up in a town of 9,000 people where sometimes it was hard getting on one of the ten outdoor courts and we would drive 90 minutes to play indoors.

did you go to friday's practice? if you did was it you that i played doubles with? and yeah getting courts are pretty easy. all you really have to do is walk up to the courts and if there is on available it's yours.

Dopke
04-18-2005, 10:58 PM
devqizard- Which other universities do you guys play? Do you play any of the schools up in Washington? And if you do, do you play their club or their actual team, I'm guessing their club... but donno.

remilard
04-18-2005, 11:26 PM
did you go to friday's practice? if you did was it you that i played doubles with? and yeah getting courts are pretty easy. all you really have to do is walk up to the courts and if there is on available it's yours.

Yeah that would be me, at least as far as I remember there was only one doubles match happening. My name is John, by the way. I don't remember a brian but I am terrible with names so I wouldn't expect to.

brianz0rz
04-19-2005, 07:43 AM
yeah, i dont think i ever gave you my name. but i think it was you and 3 other asians? i was the half white one on the other side.

remilard
04-19-2005, 10:44 AM
Okay it wasn't me, I think you got on when I left, which is why I thought there was only one doubles match. That guy's name is Eric, I think. (Glasses, about 5'10" brown hair)

TommyGun
04-19-2005, 10:57 AM
Devwiz,

Don't think you were cancelled because of Title IX, that is just a cop out. Since football teams and basketball teams (OSU has a huge one) give sooooo many scholarships, big schools have to find a way to provide equality under Title IX. Schools can choose to handle it several ways:

1. Offer less football scholarships.

2. Spend less on football overall

3. Eliminate all other men's teams rather then make the hard choices.

Don't blame Title IX, because there are a lot of other schools that still have tennis and football and basketball. If the school chose to kill tennis, then that is a poor choice, and you guys are doing the correct thing by doing a club team. I have coached at the college level for many years and always cry at the choices made for "success' in football.

It does suck, because tennis players all tend to complete their 4 year degrees and tend to be better overall donors to colleges, but football players are more and more just thugs and criminals who play for a year or two and then drop out, go pro, or go to jail.

JonWood
04-27-2005, 11:31 AM
I play for my college on a scholorship.

JonWood
04-27-2005, 11:39 AM
anyone here play down in the southeast, i saw one from auburn....anyone else

tykrum
04-27-2005, 12:50 PM
I play for my college on a scholorship.

What does it mean you are an adiplayer preferred player? Isn't La Grange D3, how do you have a scholarship? Georgia and Georgia Tech both have club teams if that was your question. Haha sorry for all the stupid questions, just wondering though.

remilard
04-27-2005, 12:55 PM
It does suck, because tennis players all tend to complete their 4 year degrees and tend to be better overall donors to colleges, but football players are more and more just thugs and criminals who play for a year or two and then drop out, go pro, or go to jail.

I agree that college athletics should loose the focus on money but I doubt tennis player alumni donations are more than a drop in the bucket compared to ticket and merchandise sales generated by football and basketball, let alone alumni donations that are not from ex athletes but are made due to support for the more popular programs.

In my first attempt at college (University of Kansas) the school signed an exclusive contract with Coke during the summer without consulting students or faculty and spent the largest chunk of the money on a Jet for the basketball coaching staff to use on recruiting trips.

Kaptain Karl
04-27-2005, 01:44 PM
I'm unclear.... Is "club tennis" the same thing we used to call "intramurals"?

- KK

tykrum
04-27-2005, 02:42 PM
I'm unclear.... Is "club tennis" the same thing we used to call "intramurals"?

- KK

No, club tennis is really closer to a watered-down version of a varsity sport. Club teams can play other club teams at large universities, or they can play varsities at D2 and D3 colleges. Our school does both. Teams travel, many have competitive teams and non-competitive teams, and many even have coaches and full warm-up outfits that look better than varsity ones. I originated this thread as wondering about anyone traveling to the national tournament, where 48 club teams from across the country played in San Diego. Texas A&M ending up winning for the third time in four years, and of course, we played them first round of the round robin groups. At nationals, Luke Jensen was there as a celebrity announcer, and the president of the ITA (Harvard's varsity head coach) was there to watch the championship.

JonWood
04-27-2005, 03:19 PM
adiplayer is a sponsership that gives discounts on adidas clothing. teaching pros, high level juniors and adults and college players get it(usually only D1 schools but i got lucky and they let me on it, i think because i teach tennis in the summer and play college tennis too) well D3 schools can come up with money but put it in a different way. two guys in my conference from another colege are from romania and they are amazing and should be playing atleast D2 if not D1 but im 100% sure they are on some kind of full scholorship to keep them there.

Kaptain Karl
04-27-2005, 03:39 PM
No, club tennis is really closer to a watered-down version of a varsity sport.Okay, thanks. The small NAIA college I attended for a year and one-half had a Club Soccer team -- that was really good. (Neil O'Donahue, started out on our club team ... got recruited by Auburn ... kicked in the NFL ... okay, enough of that.)

- KK

smittybuckeye
04-29-2005, 01:23 PM
I see there are some folks in the LaGrange Area. I guess LaGrange College has changed their policies lately. Was pretty certain there were no Athletic Scholarships granted

JonWood
04-29-2005, 09:28 PM
Every D3 school can give out money for sports players, just not in a scholorship way. usually they are given in grants or something not in a sports related scholorship but they really are for the sport but dont show up as being one on records. two players that i know for sure of that go to another D3 school i know have to be on some sort of scholorship because they are way way better than D3, they should be playing atleast D2 could make D1 i think. im not going full ride, no way that would happen but there can be some things like grants and other leadership grants given to athletes

devwizard
05-05-2005, 02:49 PM
Sorry it took me so long to get back to your guys' questions....havent had much time to be on TW recently. Well, our team (OSU) is doing pretty good against the clubs in the area. Our only loss was to PSU when we had like 4 of our top guys gone and their coach put together a really well-organized plan of attack, whereas we have no coach, and we were all screwed up. (Long story) Some of the other teams we have played include some D3 teams like Willamette and Linfield, and the UW and UO clubs just to name a few. So yes, I guess we do have some matches with Washington schools.

In terms of our players skills overall, well our top guy is probably between 5.0 and 5.5 on his best days. I play as usually #6 or #7, but I can get really close to beating our #1 and typically consider myself 4.5 to 5.0 on really good days. The thing that's most striking to me is the depth of our team compared to others, meaning we have like 8-10 pretty good guys who can all come and sub in on tourneys, while a lot of the other clubs will typically only have 6 or less really top players.

In relation to the Title IX debate, I didn't mean to create controversy. All I was pointing out was that was the cause of our losing the team, nothing good or bad implied.

Hope this helps answer some of the questions!

Jon Hampton
05-05-2005, 03:09 PM
I'm webmaster for the University of Florida club tennis team. I'd say I'm in the 75th percentile...that is, 25% of the people in our club could beat me hands down. From what I've noticed, we have quite a few people on our team (4) that have the talent to play tennis for our real team. But, whether they just wanted to try something else and got tired of it all, remains to be seen.

Click on the link in my signature. I'm the webmaster for this upcoming school year, so control hasn't been given to me yet and hence, the site is somewhat empty. But, look around and check out our ladder or history.

Kaptain Karl
05-05-2005, 04:30 PM
Jon - I hope you can also fix the goofy scrolled windows ... once you are "official" on the site.

And I must not "get" the point system. Someone who is 5-5 is above people who are 4-1 and 5-2???

- KK

tykrum
05-05-2005, 09:34 PM
That's awesome that there are other club players here...I'm the VP of the Minnesota team, and I will hopefully be playing #1 next year. I'm a pretty strong 4.5. I played #1 by default at nationals this past year because 9 out of our top ten guys couldn't make it. Neither could our top three or four girls, so I don't think our results (0-5 haha) were representative of our team.

Devwizard, I have a friend at OSU that is REALLY good, but he doesn't play club. He would play pretty high for you guys if you could get him back into playing shape. He always beat me 6-0 6-0 in high school.

Jon Hampton
05-06-2005, 07:53 PM
And I must not "get" the point system. Someone who is 5-5 is above people who are 4-1 and 5-2???

That's a good question. We've been going through several different way to do the point system over the years. As far as I know, you get 100 points for a win. For a loss, you get the percentage of games won (if you lost 4-6, 4-6, that would mean you won 8/20 games, or 40%, or 40 points). If someone bagels you, 0-6, 0-6 let's say, you automatically get 10 points.

As far as people being higher up in the ladder despite having worse records has something to do with our cummulative system of points; that is, points are kept over from the last semesters results. I have no idea what the pertentage of points kept is, but I would imagine somewhere between 25 to 50%. Hence, someone with a record of 5-5 THIS semester might have had more points brought over from the LAST semester and would indeed have a higher ranking than a 4-1 player who brought over no points from the previous semester.

Make sense? :)