PDA

View Full Version : My Tennis Video

wilson4ever
01-27-2009, 08:53 PM
Can someone give me some feedback as to how my hitting is? I know I'm just hitting against a wall but I'll put up some real stuff soon.

wilson4ever
01-27-2009, 08:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoAj1k2VMj0

BU-Tennis
01-27-2009, 11:16 PM
It is pretty hard to garner a lot of information from videos of wall hitting. You don't have enough time to do proper footwork, or take cuts at the ball, or work on high looping topspin shots or floating slices.

But, your technique looks ok. the big thing you need to work on is footwork and getting down for your shots. Don't pull the backhand so far behind your body. Keep it in line with the ball and then go into the stroke. you do this very well on your forehand side. Also, get your backhand finish to come up over your shoulders.

Once you do this then put up some new videos of you hitting on a court( its nice if we have some shots of you and where the ball goes so we can judge your depth, spin, etc.) and we can go from there.

wilson4ever
01-27-2009, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the critique man. I'll post up a vid of court play tomorrow probably( it'll be the first "sunny" day in the bay for a while). Thanks for the backhand critique, I never thought of lining up the ball before on that side. If anything I just want a backhand that gets the job done, not a Safin-ator. haha I promised myself I wouldn't go to sleep until someone critiqued me.:)

tennis_balla
01-28-2009, 01:01 AM
From the bit that I saw you're practicing against the wall incorrectly. Practicing against the wall is under rated, and can be very beneficial if you do it right especially if you don't have anyone to play against. Notice how the ball was all over the place? Don't try and put dents in the wall, rather work on your timing, footwork and repetition. Set a goal like 10 forehands in a row in the exact same spot, moving your feet and staying on your toes but trying to get the ball to hit the exact same spot on the wall and then back to you, over and over again. You shouldn't be running all over the place like you did. Its pointless. Slow it down also, no need to hit so hard.

halalula1234
01-28-2009, 03:48 AM
i have a similar wall like that at my house and i practice with it a lot cus i cant find someone to play with atm. Its so hard practing with a wall cus the ball doesnt come back like it would from another player. Its kinda like a dead ball drill. But u seem great hitting against it. I think walls are not bad for volleys and swing volleys though

wilson4ever
01-28-2009, 05:54 AM
Yea I understand about the correct way to hit against a wall, but whenever I do so it seemed to me as I wasn't playing my way. It felt like it was all too slow imo.

LeeD
01-28-2009, 07:49 AM
Good strokes for your level.
I'm with TennisBalla, if you want to get good at tennis, you need more guidance and direction to your wall practice.
Maybe not 20 in a row forehand over and over again. Try 5 in a row, time the one bounce and make consistent speed and spin, and height over the imaginary net, then hit crosscourt to your backhand and hit 5 two handers in a row, then 5 one handers with the last going back to your forehand.
Mindless hitting against a wall is good mental therapy, but not necessarily good for your tennis game.
A little structure and you can apply wall hitting to actual play against another player.