PDA

View Full Version : Which is it beetter to display in a match situation: Emotionless or Emotional?

Captain Tezuka
01-27-2009, 09:09 PM
Hey,

I was wondering wether to have a poker face on in tennis or display or lay bare all my emotions during the match to my opponent/s. :confused:

Any tips and thoughts welcomed. :) :lol:

lawlaw
01-27-2009, 09:40 PM
I would go with composure for the majority of the match and pump yourself up when you need to. Composure is all about balancing your emotions. Everything in the world works at its highest level for prolonged periods when there is balance. From humans to nature to machines.. you name it. If you are too excited, you will rush and make errors. If you are too relaxed, you will become sloppy and not capitalize on small chances during the match.

Roger, Sampras, Agassi(V.2)... they all do/did it very well and their results are a little more than impressive.

BU-Tennis
01-27-2009, 11:04 PM
Don't get emotional. When you miss a shot just brush it off with a deep breath. If you start yelling or making faces and most importantly lose posture then your opponent is learning about you. they know that you're falling apart, and what to do so you unravel all together and just hand the match over. When you show weakness by slouching and looking down your opponent pumps himself up knowing that you're about to break. So when you miss take a breath, fix a racquet string, and make sure to hold your head high.

Now, when you hit a great shot, or win an important point, or if the match is just incredibly close and you win a point anyway then you can have a little celebration. Make sure not to yell because you could get a warning, especially in junior or collegiate play. There is nothing wrong with a fist pump to get the blood flowing and your intensity up.

I don't believe it helps anyone when they sit and complain to their coaches or whine about missed shots. It just looks stupid and makes you feel awful.

Be careful, don't get over zealous with your positive attitude or you could fire up your opponent as well. And if you're playing someone that is significantly weaker than you, then hold off on the celebration until the final point, there is not reason to make him feel anyworse and it will also get you a reputation as an ***hole (that's just the truth, no better way to say it)

Okazaki Fragment
01-27-2009, 11:06 PM
Hey,

I was wondering wether to have a poker face on in tennis or display or lay bare all my emotions during the match to my opponent/s. :confused:

Any tips and thoughts welcomed. :) :lol:

It's unwise to go against your personality. It's like asking McEnroe to calm down or Edberg to cuss out a chair umpire.

BU-Tennis
01-27-2009, 11:11 PM
It's unwise to go against your personality. It's like asking McEnroe to calm down or Edberg to cuss out a chair umpire.

I don't think that McEnroe ever benefited from his outbursts. Those who say it relieves the stress or gets you pumped up is foolish. It might be alright to have a little yell or swing the racquet at the ground (not hitting it of course) every once in a while but anything more you're just aggrevating yourself and letting your opponent know that you're ready to fall apart.

knasty131
01-27-2009, 11:13 PM
I don't think that McEnroe ever benefited from his outbursts. Those who say it relieves the stress or gets you pumped up is foolish. It might be alright to have a little yell or swing the racquet at the ground (not hitting it of course) every once in a while but anything more you're just aggrevating yourself and letting your opponent know that you're ready to fall apart.

I don't think it is safe to say that an all time great hasn'e EVER benefited from his strategy....

Have you ever thought of the effect it had on the opponent?

BU-Tennis
01-27-2009, 11:20 PM
I don't think it is safe to say that an all time great hasn'e EVER benefited from his strategy....

Have you ever thought of the effect it had on the opponent?

McEnroe's strokes and gameplay is what made him great. And he probably would have been able to pull out a few more wins had it not been for his outrageous outbursts. Think about what it got him at Wimbledon, a disqualification. I am not saying don't get ****ed when you miss. Just don't go crazy on the court. McEnroe definitely made some shots, and hit some aces after a bad call (or so he thought) but it wasn't his rant that made him hit the aces, it was his scorn for those lines people.

And, when I see an opponent go crazy, I take it as an opportunity to break down his game. If he misses a backhand I immediately serve to his backhand, and if he misses then its in his mind that he just missed two backhands and this guy is going to attack it.

So its ok to be emotional, just learn to reign it in and transfer it into your game.

knasty131
01-27-2009, 11:33 PM
McEnroe's strokes and gameplay is what made him great. And he probably would have been able to pull out a few more wins had it not been for his outrageous outbursts. Think about what it got him at Wimbledon, a disqualification. I am not saying don't get ****ed when you miss. Just don't go crazy on the court. McEnroe definitely made some shots, and hit some aces after a bad call (or so he thought) but it wasn't his rant that made him hit the aces, it was his scorn for those lines people.

And, when I see an opponent go crazy, I take it as an opportunity to break down his game. If he misses a backhand I immediately serve to his backhand, and if he misses then its in his mind that he just missed two backhands and this guy is going to attack it.

So its ok to be emotional, just learn to reign it in and transfer it into your game.

Many...many people who have played McEnroe have commented that they believe it was his strategy...

I agree when I see a player erupt its a moment of joy, but on the circuit, with a genus like him, I would imagine there was some intentions to it and many on this board will agree with me.

knasty131
01-27-2009, 11:34 PM
FYI, I used to be emotional as a Junior, but see more benefits in not blowing up....so I don't

BU-Tennis
01-27-2009, 11:42 PM
Many...many people who have played McEnroe have commented that they believe it was his strategy...

I agree when I see a player erupt its a moment of joy, but on the circuit, with a genus like him, I would imagine there was some intentions to it and many on this board will agree with me.

Maybe he used it to create a negative situation in which he could "triumph" and show those peoples whose boss. But one thing is for certain, even if McEnroe did benefit from this at times, the average player won't. You have to be very strong mentally to be able to be that emotional and still win majors.

knasty131
01-28-2009, 12:04 AM
even if McEnroe did benefit from this at times, the average player won't. You have to be very strong mentally to be able to be that emotional and still win majors.

agreed........

Captain Tezuka
01-28-2009, 12:35 AM
Thanks everyone's input was gr8ly vauled can't be bothered posting new replies to every1 but then again I thank you for helping me with this thread. :lol:

Post 50 reach with this one. YAY :lol: