PDA

View Full Version : When to get a new racket?

Captain Tezuka
01-27-2009, 09:49 PM
Just wondering?

When do you get a new racket?

Like how many years before you consider getting a new racket?

or

What happened to make you get a new racket?

I made this thread because I wanted to about this and also becase my bro's racket which I have now is old and I mean old. First my brother had it for 15 years. Then I gave it to my cousin and she used it for about 6 months to a year she gave it back eventually, I have had it since for 1 year and a month. :lol:

I don't know what the strings are made of because they don't seem to break them strings probably made outta titanium or kavalar. :lol: again.

Any helpfull tips and ideas welcome.

Everyone is welcome as long as everythng is keep decent. :lol:

BU-Tennis
01-27-2009, 10:57 PM
I usually switch racquets to just try and get one that feels right. For me, I like a racquet that cuts through the air like butter, this usually means a thin beam of less than 20mm, hence me using the diablo currently. I also like a racquet to be a little more flexible and heavy, at least over 11.6 ounces. Even though I serve well with the babolat racquets, they just don't feel right when I swing. So for me it is all about feel. You can always adjust spin potential and power by changing strings or tension.

For you, definitely get a new racquet pronto. I don't know if you like heavy racquets or not so i'll suggest you try the head radical midplus. TW has the liquidmetal version really cheap and it is a very good racquet. It has a great feel with a large enough head size and some decent heft. Remember, you can always add weight to a racquet, just don't try to customize one below 11 ounces because it just takes too much tape that it can really warp a racquets feel.

Captain Tezuka
01-27-2009, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by BU-Tennis
I usually switch racquets to just try and get one that feels right. For me, I like a racquet that cuts through the air like butter, this usually means a thin beam of less than 20mm, hence me using the diablo currently. I also like a racquet to be a little more flexible and heavy, at least over 11.6 ounces. Even though I serve well with the babolat racquets, they just don't feel right when I swing. So for me it is all about feel. You can always adjust spin potential and power by changing strings or tension.

For you, definitely get a new racquet pronto. I don't know if you like heavy racquets or not so i'll suggest you try the head radical midplus. TW has the liquidmetal version really cheap and it is a very good racquet. It has a great feel with a large enough head size and some decent heft. Remember, you can always add weight to a racquet, just don't try to customize one below 11 ounces because it just takes too much tape that it can really warp a racquets feel.

Thanks BU-Tennis. I should have put more info in of myself: I'm 170cm dominate hand right though left is okay too, Mainly a S&V player though developing an all court game, Racket is 100 sq inch a few points HH I think though I like the lighter type since more of a net player, bit fat need to trim it down :lol:, long arms and relatively long legs. Hope this will help with your answer.

BU-Tennis
01-27-2009, 11:24 PM
I would find a friend who has a heavier, head light racquet, and play a few times with that and see how you do. Since you serve and volley, a lighter racquet might be ok for maneuverability reasons but can be very unstable on hard driven balls and stab volleys. you definitely want a more head light or even balance racquet. Believe it or not, a heavier head light racquet will be easier to maneuver than a lighter head heavy racquet as the extra weight in the handle counter balances the loop weight and also adds stability to your shots. You don't have to change head sizes though. The Bryan Brothers are great volleyrs and use a racquet with 98 sq. in., I think.

Captain Tezuka
01-28-2009, 12:11 AM
Originally Posted by BU-Tennis
I would find a friend who has a heavier, head light racquet, and play a few times with that and see how you do. Since you serve and volley, a lighter racquet might be ok for maneuverability reasons but can be very unstable on hard driven balls and stab volleys. you definitely want a more head light or even balance racquet. Believe it or not, a heavier head light racquet will be easier to maneuver than a lighter head heavy racquet as the extra weight in the handle counter balances the loop weight and also adds stability to your shots. You don't have to change head sizes though. The Bryan Brothers are great volleyrs and use a racquet with 98 sq. in., I think.

BU-Tennis thanks a lot I think some of my friends will have a HL racket and thanks for the HH racket tip and the Brian Bro's info they're the best doubles team probably of all time except Federer/Wawrinka pair. :lol:

BullDogTennis
01-28-2009, 05:12 AM
Thanks BU-Tennis. I should have put more info in of myself: I'm 170cm dominate hand right though left is okay too, Mainly a S&V player though developing an all court game, Racket is 100 sq inch a few points HH I think though I like the lighter type since more of a net player, bit fat need to trim it down :lol:, long arms and relatively long legs. Hope this will help with your answer.

i think your a bit confused on the racquets. the heavier it is, i find it tons easier to volley with. if the ball hits a light racquet, its gonna have a recoil effect. and when it hits a heavier racquet, the racquet absorbs it. would you rather volley with a brick wall, or a fly swatter?

id recomend maybe the Kblade Team, its a 98 in head i do believe.

(in reality, id probably recomend the tour like i have, but its probably a bit small for what you want)

Nellie
01-28-2009, 07:29 AM
Honesty - most people change racquets not out of need, but desire for a new and shiny model.

It does sound like you need some new strings. I would change at least every couple of months if you are playing regularly.

jessey
01-28-2009, 08:06 AM
Just wondering?

or

I made this thread because I wanted to about this and also becase my bro's racket which I have now is old and I mean old. First my brother had it for 15 years. Then I gave it to my cousin and she used it for about 6 months to a year she gave it back eventually, I have had it since for 1 year and a month. :lol:

I don't know what the strings are made of because they don't seem to break them strings probably made outta titanium or kavalar. :lol: again.

Do a demo program if you can.

And for good performance and feel, a string should not be used for more than 3-4 months. Obviously if you're not that serious about playing tennis or if you're trying to save money, you can always sacriface performance by using it longer.

Master Flow
01-29-2009, 09:37 PM
On average a player changes raquets every 3 years. or at least if you play about 3-5 times a week. after that the frame starts to break down causing the raquet to actually bend when u swing it. However, some people like this bend and prefer raqutes like that others.....not so much. I switch mine when i think my skills require a better raquet. n-code (light) to k-factor (heavier)

kelz
01-30-2009, 03:15 AM
Just wondering?

or

That racquet's 20 + years old... It's more of a collector's item