PDA

View Full Version : For Roddick Fans in Texas...

atatu
02-25-2005, 06:47 AM
Got this off the USTA Texas website:

Andy Roddick, the world's fourth-ranked tennis player and a part-time Austin resident, is expected to be in attendance as the 23rd-ranked University of Texas men's tennis team (3-1) opens a six-match homestand against Minnesota (2-5) on Saturday, Feb. 26.

The Texas-Minnesota match will be played at Penick-Allison Tennis Center and is scheduled to start at 1 p.m. Roddick's recognition will take place after the doubles competition, between 2-2:30 p.m. Fans attending the Longhorns men's basketball game against Missouri (12 p.m. tip-off) should be able to arrive in time for the presentation. Tickets can be purchased at the door starting one hour before the match begins. Adults are $3 and Youth (ages 12 and younger) are free.

Michael Center and the Longhorns tennis team will recognize Roddick for his contribution to the game of tennis in the Austin area and make him an honorary member of the Texas men's tennis team. In just five seasons on the pro tour, Roddick has claimed 15 singles titles, including four in 2004. The 2003 U.S. Open Champion and 2004 Wimbledon runner-up reached the semifinals of the Australian Open and Wimbledon in 2003.

An active member of the community, Roddick has selected Austin as the site of his "Champions for Charity" Gala and Auction that will feature music superstar Elton John on Tuesday, April 26 at the Four Seasons Hotel. All proceeds donated through The Andy Roddick Foundation will benefit local children in need including The Settlement Home, Austin Children's Hospital and A Glimmer of Hope Foundation.

andfor
02-25-2005, 07:05 AM
Very cool news Atatu. I played H.S. tennis against Mike Center, no contest for him. He killed me as he did most at that time.

Center is the kind of guy who will become a college coach in great IMHO.

Two classy individuals Roddick and Center. Should be a good event and great tennis. You should attend and if you do let us know how it went. At least I'd be one here interested in hearing more about it.

tykrum
02-25-2005, 07:45 AM
Against Minnesota? Darn, why can't I be good enough to play varsity!? I have a friend on the team though, hopefully he talks to Roddick.