PDA

View Full Version : flat player

Noaler
01-28-2009, 03:43 PM
Ok, i am going to play a flat player since i've played him before like three times.
i'm a lower part of this academy and his one level higher and he's the number 6 seed. Any suggestions on how to beat him. He is extremely accurate for a flat player.

oneguy21
01-28-2009, 04:21 PM
I find the term "flat player" quite vague. What do you mean by that?

Noaler
01-28-2009, 04:27 PM
He hits flat balls pretty hard and accurate? I haven't seen him do any other type of shot

DBrooks
01-28-2009, 04:32 PM
Keep the ball low, make him try to lift the ball, and vary your shots.

user92626
01-28-2009, 04:34 PM
He hits flat balls pretty hard and accurate? I haven't seen him do any other type of shot

That's great! Just open up the court with your shots and charge the net. He can't lob and flat balls are great for volley. :)

Noaler
01-28-2009, 04:38 PM
That's great! Just open up the court with your shots and charge the net. He can't lob and flat balls are great for volley. :)

i hope he can't lob:)

Ballinbob
01-28-2009, 04:55 PM
these guys are really hard to beat. I'm an extreme topspinner and these guys just kill me.

I would suggest slicing ALOT. Maybe there's a better strategy, but against these guys this is the only chance I have against them. Slice like crazy off both wings, and when you get a short ball, approach and come in to the net.

Dont try to outhit these guys, it never works. Blocking/slicing everything back is the best thing to do. It may not be your style (heck, it isnt mine), but your just going to have to adjust. Take advantage of the short/easy balls and do the percentage play. If you can't hit an outright winner of a short ball, play a safe topspin shot down the line and come in. This is a very high percentage play that is almost guaranteed to work

Good luck bud

BU-Tennis
01-28-2009, 05:00 PM
Keep the ball low, make him try to lift the ball, and vary your shots.

I completely diagree. People who hit flat, at least really flat, are hit usually using an eastern forehand or somewhere close to a SW. You can hit flat using any grip but these grips lend themselves perfectly. So when you hit low, the ball is going right into their strike zone. you should try and spin the ball up above their shoulders so they are forced to be defensive. A good rule is to not give them many angles. If you hit deep down the center, with a lot of spin, they aren't able to hit deep into the corners as easily. I do agree that attacking the net against them is a good play, again try to attack down the center.

then again, this might be the player who can just smack balls that are hit down the center and are worse when they are on the run. In this case open the court up with heavy topspin and angles and the seek to run them around.

RoddickAce
01-28-2009, 05:07 PM
A low hard slice is pretty effective, but if you don't hit it perfectly, it can sit up and he'll just crush it and rush to the net.

Most flat-ball-hitters use a more conservative grip like eastern or extreme eastern. Which means it is difficult to hit high balls. High, heavy topspin shots mostly to his backhand will eventually break down his strokes. He might connect on a few, but long-term, he will start to lose confidence as you constantly pound his corners with high topspin shots. Also, I wouldn't recommend serving and volleying too much, maybe use it as a change up, but not a main plan. Conservative grips are naturally more open than the likes of semi-western or western. Which means hitting hard returns is easier for them.

Ballinbob
01-28-2009, 05:10 PM
A low hard slice is pretty effective, but if you don't hit it perfectly, it can sit up and he'll just crush it and rush to the net.

Most flat-ball-hitters use a more conservative grip like eastern or extreme eastern. Which means it is difficult to hit high balls. High, heavy topspin shots mostly to his backhand will eventually break down his strokes. He might connect on a few, but long-term, he will start to lose confidence as you constantly pound his corners with high topspin shots. Also, I wouldn't recommend serving and volleying too much, maybe use it as a change up, but not a main plan. Conservative grips are naturally more open than the likes of semi-western or western. Which means hitting hard returns is easier for them.

I see what your saying about flat players using an eastern grip and not liking high balls, but the same goes for us topspinners. I use a weak western grip, and I can't hit heavy topspin off a fast flat ball. So it goes both ways really. We topspinners cant handle a flat players balls and vice versa. That's why i think slicing is pretty effective against these guys. Slicing and consistency will get you far here.

Your absolutey right though, if the slice sits up too high your screwed. Big time

Noaler
01-28-2009, 06:02 PM
yea i can't slice really good on any fast balls. so its usually only approach sometimes

Noaler
01-28-2009, 06:03 PM
Your absolutey right though, if the slice sits up too high your screwed. Big time

Ya, but mine never floats up near the net, always near the baseline

GeorgeLucas
01-28-2009, 06:11 PM
Flat strokes are good with the median range of balls, that is, towards neither extreme. To this end, you should give him low skidders, shoulder-bouncing top spins, or short angles. Good luck!!

dennis10is
01-28-2009, 06:22 PM
Ok, i am going to play a flat player since i've played him before like three times.
i'm a lower part of this academy and his one level higher and he's the number 6 seed. Any suggestions on how to beat him. He is extremely accurate for a flat player.

Unless the academy ranking is wrong, he is better than you are and regardless of the style of play that you or he have, he's going to win unless something weird happen.

There is no magical tactics that will enable someone who is truly not as good to beat a better player aside from just a great day for you and a bad day for him and fortune smiles on you.

You are not expected to beat him, you should not demand of yourself to beat him. So, you have the freedom to play and match practice whatever game plan you want that day. You can look at it positively in that you will learn how a better person will beat you. Additionally, you will have the experience to trying to deal with his superior game. All options are open for you so enjoy.

10nistennis
01-28-2009, 06:30 PM
When you start out playing with him, notice his weaknesses. Does he have a weaker flat backhand than his forehand? You say he doesn't do much of any other type of shot. Try bringing him up to the net. See how he plays at the net.

One thing to do is hit some high loopy topspin shots. It makes it harder for him to effectively hit the ball flat back. If he does, it should be a weaker shot that you should put away.

As BallinBob said, slicing is a good idea.

Make him run a bit more. Hit lots of different types of shots to mix it up.

If you can't beat him, just remember that he is ranked higher than you. Don't feel too down on yourself.

Djokovicfan4life
01-28-2009, 08:22 PM
Mixing up your shots is the most important thing here. Flat hitters love to get in a rhythm, so don't give it to them. Hit a low slice, followed by a high looper, etc. Give em the good old Santoro treatment.

You said you've played him before, so you should already know his game fairly well by now, no? Have you ever beaten him before? If so, what did you do that gave him trouble? Or what didn't you do well if he stomped you?

Djokovicfan4life
01-28-2009, 08:27 PM
Ya, but mine never floats up near the net, always near the baseline

Believe it or not, that is not a bad ball to play when facing aggressive baseliners. Federer uses the floating slice a lot to mix things up against the big hitters. Very rarely does he get pounded off the court.

superlobber
01-28-2009, 09:31 PM
Slice a lot, and I mean A LOT. Especially toward the backhand (assuming that his backhand is weaker than forehand) and stay back well behind the baseline. Attack when you have a chance, but try not to attack the net.
Good luck.

Element54
01-29-2009, 02:52 AM
Yes, key is to make them have no rhythm. Low deep slices, and high topspin (shoulder high) shots to their backhand.

LeeD
01-29-2009, 07:58 AM
I get to play flat hitting 4.5 and barely better old farts all the time.
They look great hitting and warming up with a partner who also hits flat and deep.
Most fun in tennis is to seek opposition's weakness'es and exploit. Most dumb is to feed his strengths.
So GL is right, high bounce deep, low slice, approach on low short shots, and give him your whole repetoire of wierdo shots.
Deep moons to his FOREHAND works, as they tend to move back to allow a dropping, lower ball for their strike zone, then you easily angle crosscourt short because his ball is flat with little spin.
Hard flat hitters usually don't like low volleys, so draw them in angled and short, be aware of their stronger side, then lob over the backhand or topspin right into the shins/ankles. They usually don't like moving out of the way for low balls, and extreme topped balls are hard to volley if not chest high.
Most players have trouble with backhand overheads hit off a strong topspined lob.

Alexio92
01-29-2009, 08:02 AM
Steamroll him.

Djokovicfan4life
01-29-2009, 08:19 AM
Steamroll him.

I think you deserve a rimshot for this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0PIdWdw15U

fri
01-29-2009, 11:56 AM
I am a flat hitter. Started with the eastern at an early age, stayed in my level 4.0 for a very long time now. I really enjoy the game (hitting flat is fun). I am a good competitor at my level.
I want to talk about what bothers me most when playing. ( Don't tell this to my opponents LOL)
Most of what was suggested by the experts on the previous posts is correct: high balls, make hr closer im run, hit more blocks/slices, high topspin shots..they all work. Man, what bothers me most is that wierdo low shots landing around the service line that comes right after I chase a long ball. I have to chase the ball down and then give my opponent a nice return where he can finish the point easily. Nothing works as good as that. the high balls, I just take a few steps back and hit it harder. I love it when they chip and charge, I just lob the ball on both sides. who says flat hitters can't lob? Or if the balls sits high, passing shot is the flat hitter's best weapon.
Just don't mix it up with that weirdo slice, and hit it like a man lets enjoy the game more or otherwise I have a good chance to lose :)

Noaler
01-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Unless the academy ranking is wrong, he is better than you are and regardless of the style of play that you or he have, he's going to win unless something weird happen.

There is no magical tactics that will enable someone who is truly not as good to beat a better player aside from just a great day for you and a bad day for him and fortune smiles on you.

You are not expected to beat him, you should not demand of yourself to beat him. So, you have the freedom to play and match practice whatever game plan you want that day. You can look at it positively in that you will learn how a better person will beat you. Additionally, you will have the experience to trying to deal with his superior game. All options are open for you so enjoy.

Hey, I've beaten one before and I plan on moving up. He wasn't to hard before and beat me by one point on half-court all three times, but other than that I don't know much about him.

Noaler
01-29-2009, 12:20 PM
I am a flat hitter. Started with the eastern at an early age, stayed in my level 4.0 for a very long time now. I really enjoy the game (hitting flat is fun). I am a good competitor at my level.
I want to talk about what bothers me most when playing. ( Don't tell this to my opponents LOL)
Most of what was suggested by the experts on the previous posts is correct: high balls, make hr closer im run, hit more blocks/slices, high topspin shots..they all work. Man, what bothers me most is that wierdo low shots landing around the service line that comes right after I chase a long ball. I have to chase the ball down and then give my opponent a nice return where he can finish the point easily. Nothing works as good as that. the high balls, I just take a few steps back and hit it harder. I love it when they chip and charge, I just lob the ball on both sides. who says flat hitters can't lob? Or if the balls sits high, passing shot is the flat hitter's best weapon.
Just don't mix it up with that weirdo slice, and hit it like a man lets enjoy the game more or otherwise I have a good chance to lose :)

that slice only happens when i mess up

Djokovicfan4life
01-29-2009, 08:38 PM
that slice only happens when i mess up

And what happens when you don't mess up?

Noaler
01-30-2009, 03:59 PM
yaaaay, he beat me 6-0, 2-6, 6-2, and he had topspin so that had like no help at all lol

LeeD
01-30-2009, 04:16 PM
Yeah, bad scouting and scouting reports can get you bagelled, but at least you recovered from initial shock to take one set.
So was he really tall with a big first serve?

Noaler
01-30-2009, 04:52 PM
Eh not really, he's in my grade. I don't even know why I stood back and just sliced it during the first set. Second set, he couldn't serve and volley no more and I played more agressive topspin and couldn't handle as well. 3rd set he just got more used to my shots.

Djokovicfan4life
01-30-2009, 07:30 PM
Wait a minute, now he's serving and volleying? I thought he was a "flat baseliner"?

pmacino
01-30-2009, 09:07 PM
yaaaay, he beat me 6-0, 2-6, 6-2, and he had topspin so that had like no help at all lol

Sorry to hear...my condolences. :D

I was just reading through this and like fri, as a flat hitter I was going to tell you that I don't like them high....but that I can generate a fair amount of topspin too. :D

On my backhands, I defer to slicing the high balls.

Sounds like that is what you ran into.

halalula1234
01-31-2009, 02:51 AM
i hit really flat on my fh and most of the time i hit flat and i find that slices and lower balls are the hardest to handle top spinny ones and high ones are the ones flat players love! Try keeping to ball low or even mix in some drop shots and slice to keep him off rhythm and challenge him to make errors and weaker shots. Flat players feels the most challenged against another flat player IMO.

Noaler
01-31-2009, 04:20 AM
Wait a minute, now he's serving and volleying? I thought he was a "flat baseliner"?

he was both lol, in fact, he didn't even play flat

o ya, i just beat someone from my group 6-3 6-1 and then just lost 4-6 6-2 10-5 to another guy one group ahead...if i'd won, i would've played another guy one group ahead lol. we all on left side some reason