PDA

View Full Version : Enlarged forearm

Jim Clark
01-28-2009, 05:40 PM
Very curious. I note that almost all pros have very large proximal (near the elbow) forearms, which, I assume, helps their serving. How does this occur? Is it just a result of repeated serving? How beneficial is it? Is there a way to do this with weights, etc? Thoughts, please.

LeeD
01-28-2009, 06:00 PM
12 years of hitting 5 hours a day, 6 days a week will enlarge anyone's arms a bit, ya dink ?

GeorgeLucas
01-28-2009, 06:13 PM
12 years of hitting 5 hours a day, 6 days a week will enlarge anyone's arms a bit, ya dink ?

I guess I haven't logged on nearly as much time, but my right forearm is perceptibly larger than my left. And I haven't done any lifting. I reckon if you play enough, your forearms develop on their own :o

NickH87
01-29-2009, 07:25 AM
Lol my forearm is huge, 5 years of scooping ice cream as a teen really paid off lol

Djokovicfan4life
01-29-2009, 07:56 AM
I really need a camera with slo-mo capabilities so I can see this when I'm hitting the ball. I bet it's nothing special though, to say the least.

origmarm
01-29-2009, 08:27 AM
My right forearm is a good couple of inches in circumference different to my left and I don't play anywhere near as much as a pro at anywhere near their level.

I did however row for a few years so that also contributed

Bud
01-29-2009, 08:31 AM
My right forearm is a good couple of inches in circumference different to my left and I don't play anywhere near as much as a pro at anywhere near their level.

I did however row for a few years so that also contributed

Same here. Significant difference.

gh65721
01-29-2009, 08:47 AM
Look at Federer's right forearm compared to his left, huge difference.

javierjavier
01-29-2009, 09:11 AM
it comes from gripping and swinging a racket for years. hahaha, i remember in high school i was able to beat guys a lot stronger and bigger than me in arm wrestling simply from playing tennis.

i also played golf, which helped balanced out my left forearm.

Bungalo Bill
01-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Very curious. I note that almost all pros have very large proximal (near the elbow) forearms, which, I assume, helps their serving. How does this occur? Is it just a result of repeated serving? How beneficial is it? Is there a way to do this with weights, etc? Thoughts, please.

Like LeeD said, lots and lots of hitting.

Kevo
01-29-2009, 11:36 AM
I found out that hammering in metal fence posts with a small sledge hammer is a great forearm and shoulder work out. I had to put in some temporary posts for our fence after a storm, and after about 8 of those things I thought my forearm was going to split out of the skin!

The next day my serves were monstrous. Most unbelievable serving I've ever done. If I could find a way to do that regularly without ticking off the neighbors I think I would try it.

kenl88
01-29-2009, 11:49 AM
Simple logic. The more you work a muscle the bigger they get. Gosh I hope my brain doesn't explode.:twisted:

jmjmkim
01-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Popeye ..... arhg arhg arhg arhg arhg

10s talk
01-29-2009, 01:50 PM
checkout Rod Laver's forearms when he was 25 :shock:

r2473
01-29-2009, 01:54 PM
First my right forearm got huge and then (as Mom promised), I went blind.

Doc said none of this was tennis related :) Told me that I needed to find a girlfriend.

LeeD
01-29-2009, 01:56 PM
Because I"m "somewhat a jerk, I'll counter most of yous.....
My left and right forearm are about the same size!
Even when I played seriously for 4 years, they stayed the same. Naturally, I started out with a bigger right arm, but decided to play tennis left handed :confused::confused::confused:
Now, after 35 odd years, the forearms are still about the same. Of course, I'm mainly a windsurfer, with some waterski jumping thrown in. Those sports really work both arms.

mixertefera
01-29-2009, 01:56 PM

it just from swing a racket for a while and the best part is you can own people in arm wrestling just turn there wrist over and you have all the leverage

mixertefera
01-29-2009, 01:59 PM
First my right forearm got huge and then (as Mom promised), I went blind.

Doc said none of this was tennis related :) Told me that I needed to find a girlfriend.

Lol you should helps alot... with that

kimbahpnam
01-29-2009, 02:28 PM
If you want to see a movie with a disproportional arm size...watch "Lady in the Water"

http://www.laprensatoledo.com/images/Lady_in_the_Water__Freddy_Rodriguez.jpg

Fay
01-29-2009, 02:30 PM
Well it seems to me, if muscles work in contraction, the tricep is the major muscle for the serve, and the bicep and pec would be used a lot in semi-western FHs .... and that forearm muscle would get bigger from any motion used to bring the racquet head back .... did I get that right?

BullDogTennis
01-31-2009, 12:01 PM
hitting, and im sure some weight training. Wrist curls, is what you use. dumbelll are barbell, it will get your foreamrs swoll, fast.

serveitup911
01-31-2009, 12:28 PM
The forearm is used for pronating the racquet. This happens on serves and forehands.