PDA

View Full Version : Rule - wind & weather considerations?

SystemicAnomaly
01-29-2009, 04:16 AM
Are there any rules or stated guidelines on maximum allowable wind speeds for tennis matches (USTA or professional matches)? Or is this and other weather concerns at the discretion of the referee, chair umpire or the tournament director? I've played quite a bit in winds in excess of 20 mph with gusts close to 30 mph. however, I cannot imagine trying to play with wind speeds much greater than this. Could not find anything in the Rules of Tennis on the ITF site.

larry10s
01-29-2009, 04:45 AM
dont know the rules but remember the us open a few years ago 2004? aggassi vs federer playing in the remnants of a hurricane. both keeping the ball in the center of the court not knowing where the wind would take it. if ever a match should have been postponed a day that was it.

spot
01-29-2009, 06:09 AM
at least here in Atlanta there are rules about what temperatures are permitted for you to postpone a match but I have never seen anything at all about wind. Probably because heat and cold constitute health risks where wind is just annoying as hell.

JavierLW
01-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Are there any rules or stated guidelines on maximum allowable wind speeds for tennis matches (USTA or professional matches)? Or is this and other weather concerns at the discretion of the referee, chair umpire or the tournament director? I've played quite a bit in winds in excess of 20 mph with gusts close to 30 mph. however, I cannot imagine trying to play with wind speeds much greater than this. Could not find anything in the Rules of Tennis on the ITF site.

Only 20mph? Wow. :-)

I dont think there is anything about wind, it's an outdoor sport and wind is just part of the game. In some areas it's windy pretty much all the time so you just have to deal with it. (I live in a Northern State where there really are only 3 good months of tennis weather and part of the league isnt during those months)

I played in a league match last year where it was 37F out and 35mph wind with much higher gusts. Our home courts are right next to a building so there is a wall on one side behind one baseline which creates a sort of wind effect that is predictable at least. (it pretty much goes sideline to sideline because we are also next to a freeway and a lot of wind comes from that)

It's probably the only match that Ive played where I wore my jacket thru the whole match but we were able to pull it off.

You just cant do as much with your serve, but I think it rewards whoever has the best efficent strokes. But I do think it can wreak havoc on your arms and joints and shoulders because:

a) The ball is never quite where you think it is so there are a lot of cases where you have to break from sound technique to get the ball back (like using your hands to hit the ball instead of setting up ahead of time)

b) The points are short so you never really get warmed up, which may just do enough to make you really sore (since you end up moving in short bursts rather than in long rallys).

There probably should be a restriction on how cold it can get though. I think anything below 50F on a windy day or 45F on a calm day is really not that comfortable.

But when Ive had to do that, it wasnt the playing that was a problem, it's the standing or sitting around afterwards that is an issue. (especially if you have an ice cold beer in your hand although that warms you up... :-) )

SystemicAnomaly
01-29-2009, 11:50 AM
at least here in Atlanta there are rules about what temperatures are permitted for you to postpone a match but I have never seen anything at all about wind. Probably because heat and cold constitute health risks where wind is just annoying as hell.

I would imagine that a tornado or hurricane would constitute a health risk. Perhaps even 60 mph could be dangerous. So what are those temp guidelines in hot 'Lanta?

spot
01-29-2009, 12:11 PM
You must have a thermometer there (directly above the center strap) and have it read either above 95 or below 32 degrees. Any person can decide to not play the match as long as its within that range. If everyone decides to play anyway then you cannot go back and change your mind after you start. If you quit then you forfeit the match.

I'd think that tornados and hurricanes would also be part of a storm bad enough to have it rain which sort of makes the point moot.

SystemicAnomaly
01-29-2009, 02:42 PM
You must have a thermometer there (directly above the center strap) and have it read either above 95 or below 32 degrees. Any person can decide to not play the match as long as its within that range. If everyone decides to play anyway then you cannot go back and change your mind after you start. If you quit then you forfeit the match.

Is that a USTA rule? Beleve that the pros play in hotter temps.

I'd think that tornados and hurricanes would also be part of a storm bad enough to have it rain which sort of makes the point moot.

The real point is that at some wind speed, the prospect of tennis is dubious, even dangerous. figure that there must be some sort of guidelines. We have seen some very high winds (only occassionally) before the rains hit. Or a storm might be close enough to an area to get high winds w/o getting the precipitation.

JavierLW
01-30-2009, 02:06 PM
Is that a USTA rule? Beleve that the pros play in hotter temps.

The real point is that at some wind speed, the prospect of tennis is dubious, even dangerous. figure that there must be some sort of guidelines. We have seen some very high winds (only occassionally) before the rains hit. Or a storm might be close enough to an area to get high winds w/o getting the precipitation.

That sounds like a local rule in Atlanta, there is no official USTA rule on tempature or wind in the friend of the court book so it has to be a local decision or it's left to an agreement between teams (and common sense in the case of extreme cold or rain or snow or whatever you obviously would not even want to be outside for much less playing tennis).

You are right that at some wind speed tennis could be dangerous.

But only if BEING OUTSIDE PERIOD is dangerous. Usually they issue some sort of wind advisory (which at least where I live is almost as severe as a tornado watch). You're talking about 80-90mph though in that case.

Let's say that over 50mph is dangerous (and it's not).

That still leaves a lot of room where tennis is HARD but it's not dangerous, so obviously the fact that tennis may be difficult cant be lumped in with how it might be dangerous.

I say if you feel safe enough where you can go outside to your car and get out and go shopping or run errands, then you cant make an argument that it's not "safe" enough for tennis. (except for rain because you can slip and fall, but most people dont stand around in the rain anyway unless they have to)

If you cant play because you are risking your own safety being outside period then you have a point. But that's just common sense, you wouldnt play if there was a tornado warning either, you shouldnt even be outside.

But if people do not want to play just because it's windy and "it's hard to play when it's windy", then there is no rule to cover that because tennis is an outdoor sport most of the time and sometimes it's windy outside.

There are plenty of chapters in tennis books devoted to how to deal with wind if it happens, it's just part of the game.

amarone
01-30-2009, 02:40 PM
That is the ALTA rule. The USTA Atlanta rule is that if the temperature as reported by the Weather Channel is below 30 or above 95, you do not have to play.

There is no provision for wind.

JavierLW
01-30-2009, 02:44 PM
That is the ALTA rule. The USTA Atlanta rule is that if the temperature as reported by the Weather Channel is below 30 or above 95, you do not have to play.

There is no provision for wind.

It would suck if you had to play when it's 31F.

(I played at 37F and it's not something I would want to do too often, especially if there is a wind chill)

NetMaster70
01-31-2009, 04:16 AM
We dont have any rule covering either wind or cold. Basically you are supposed to play as long as the courts are not wet. However, when it is really cold, below 32 degrees, matches are re-scheduled if both captains agree. I've never seen one canceled because of too much wind. Although I do think that a strong wind can sometimes change the dynamics of a match.