PDA

View Full Version : In this month's TENNIS mag: Article about G(R)OAT

MAXXply
01-29-2009, 03:20 AM
Has anyone had a chance to read about "The 10 Greatest Rackets of All Time" in the latest issue of TENNIS magazine?
Each stick is reverently discussed by the writer though the list, like any GOAT talk, is a matter for debate. You may be surprised by one or two few of the selections!

kairosntx
01-29-2009, 03:25 AM
The list is posted here:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=236261

MAXXply
01-29-2009, 03:26 AM
The list is posted here:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=236261

...'Doh...sorry folks. Cheers.:oops:

kairosntx
01-29-2009, 03:29 AM
Here is the list from Jon Levy of Tennis magazine's blog.....

With that in mind, here’s the list in no particular order:

Dunlop Maxply Fort
Prince Classic
Head Professional
Wilson Jack Kramer Autograph
Head Arthur Ashe Competition
Wilson T-2000
Babolat Pure Drive
Wilson Pro Staff 6.0 85
Dunlop Max 200G
Donnay Borg Pro

joe sch
01-29-2009, 03:53 AM
It was great to see Tennis Magazine bring back those pictures and thoughts on those classic rackets for the transitional period of tennis. I would rank the ps60, max200g rackets are true top goat contenders. The JK, maxply, and borg pro are contenders for the wood rackets. I do not think the t2000 and head AA comp are goat contenders for the metals but they are both two of them most significant rackets in the short transitional period between wood and graphite composites. It was a good article for bringing back those memories and I would have elaborated more on the transitional periods and the most popular rackets for each period. Also, since many of the player goat contenders are from the era's before these mentioned rackets, it would be really interesting to covers some of the earlier periods of wood tennis, like the goat contenders for the tilden, vines, budge, and riggs eras.

dunno
01-29-2009, 06:51 AM
The only thing I didn't like was that they included the Pure Drive.

Virginia
01-29-2009, 09:50 AM
I agree with you - and that's the only racquet of the ten that I don't have (and never will have).

Capt. Willie
01-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Obviously the writer of this article only listed racquets from his lifetime or resent history. As far as I'm concerned this list is not complete without the Dayton Steel racquet. I don't care if they picked the Dayton Eagle or the Aviator, but one of them should be on the list.

Virginia
01-29-2009, 02:48 PM
I just noticed who started this thread - hi Chris. I'm coming back to Sydney towards the end of March, for the "Ken Rosewall Tennis Day" - see you then! :)

RanchDressing
01-31-2009, 10:14 PM
The only thing I didn't like was that they included the Pure Drive.
yeah i know. that thing is crud
it really is horrible...
it its the one im thinking of... (not the cortex but either way cortex or not it sucks)