PDA

View Full Version : Using Periphreals (sic?) Until Contact?

thursdayisgod
01-29-2009, 07:41 AM
I'm a 4.5-5.0 (never played USTA) but am D3 College player, I'm good friends with a local player who is significantly better than anyone else in the area and last time I played him he gave me some advice how to move up a notch.

Most of his advice was interpretable except the thread name...

He mentioned that when you get to higher levels people tend to hit harder and it gets increasingly difficult to actually 'follow' the ball around the court so you should just learn to 'expect' where the ball will be and lock your eyes at where you 'expect' contact to be and use your periphreals to follow the ball to contact.

This seems obscure and contradictory to a lot of things I've heard, do you more advance players do this, does it come naturally, or did you have to 'learn' this?

LeeD
01-29-2009, 08:51 AM
Seems to me...
When I hit/play against better players, I have a much better idea where their balls are going, how hard they're hit, and how deep, than I would if I played lesser players. Good players have consistent strokes, hit center, know how to get to and prepare to hit the ball, so their results are much more predictable than 4.0's or below, who tend to mishit, barely get there and reach, or just plain don't know where to hit it.
For instance, during a rally, when both are still scoping the other's consistency, a strong deep ball to the backhand elicites the same coming back, usually crosscourt, from a good player. From a bad player, it could go into the stands, into the ground, mishit for a short angle, or that player might try a dumb lowpercentage winner down the line.
Especially serves, you KNOW the higher percentage to your backhand, the first and seconds get moved around.
And on every other shots, there are high percentage options that most good players choose, and you should know what they are and where they're going.
Of course, even if you KNOW Nadal is gonna pound your FOREHAND, he's gonna beat you 0 and 0.

LeeD
01-29-2009, 03:39 PM
Interesting....
No one replied on this.
And a question from a Div111 player would be relevant for almost all of us.
Sometimes I wonder......

Master Flow
01-29-2009, 10:29 PM
The only time i have a hard time seeing the ball is on a serve, but that is just if it is in or out. the ball should not be a problem to follow. However there is a time i believe its something like a foot infront of you (dont quote me on that) that you cant see the ball.
If you want to increase eye speed heres a link
http://www.uspsa.org/gmTips/tip03.html
its about shooting, but tennis and shooting is almost the same